News Hardwick Quits as coach of Richmond: Press Conference at 10:30am Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

The timing on this is extremely weird...
I don’t know, he reached the pinnacle and probably isn’t all that interesting in rebuilding again. They’ve attempted to reload with Taranto and Hopper but the writing is probably on the wall now that the club is going to have to go backwards to go forwards. If he’s not interested in a rebuild but the club feels that’s the way forward then it makes sense for both parties to part ways now. He can go out on his own terms and enjoy a farewell game, club gets a head start on all the other clubs potentially looking for a new coach.

The previous dynasty was Hawthorn’s, in hindsight had Clarkson finished up in 2019 both he and the club are probably better off (obviously excluding the current controversy).

Great coach, any coach that leads a side to a grand final is special, to make 3 of them… incredible.

7 seasons in and he was a shit coach apparently. was close to getting the arse. then in the 8th season, it all changed.

many variables lead to premierships. ultimately, you need to have the cattle. parkin, sheedy, pagan, malthouse, clarkson, etc have demonstrated as such and will all say the same.

in the AFL though, it's a tough cycle. look at Hawthorn, West Coast, and even Richmond now.

Seems to be “burnout”.

Rule him out for 2024 coaching at the least.

If you are burnt out coaching a club that since the end of 2016 when the board challenge lost has probably been the most unified and well resourced, I can’t see the appeal in rushing to the Suns or Blues. He wants to be backed by big club supporters, not have Mathieson types pot shot when the plan and improvement isn’t perfectly linear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Why go now? You'd go at seasons end if you burnt out I reckon.

Half ass it for another 3-4 months while internally breaking yourself? Do you not understand the term “burnout”? If it’s true that it’s the reason he’s got nothing left right now, not half a season. Perfect time to quit so he gets a break, and Richmond gets a fully committed coach.

I can imagine Carlton throwing a shit ton of money at Hardwick. Insert next messiah please.

"HARDWICK ! WAIT ! I PROMISE YOU THIS LIST IS PREMIERSHIP MATERIAL! WHO THE **** IS MALTHOUSE? YOU'LL BE A CARLTON LEGEND!"

Banging on his door while he is trying to eat his dinner in peace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back