Traded Harley Bennell [traded with #22 to Fremantle for #16 and #35]

Remove this Banner Ad

They wanted to be traded though. Deals weren't done and they ended elsewhere.
Rawlings wanted North and the female basher wanted Collingwood

And both were uncontracted, unlike Bennell. The options are for Gold Coast to trade him to somewhere he wants to go, Gold Coast to hold on to him (seems unlikely given their press release), or Gold Coast to tear up his contract and not only get nothing in return but also have to pay him out (seems incredibly unlikely given the alternative options).

And both were uncontracted, unlike Bennell. The options are for Gold Coast to trade him to somewhere he wants to go, Gold Coast to hold on to him (seems unlikely given their press release), or Gold Coast to tear up his contract and not only get nothing in return but also have to pay him out (seems incredibly unlikely given the alternative options).
I think it's clear he can't stay at GC so they will try to get best deal, not sure Bennell has any idea what he wants to do. Unusual case, high quality player with a low quality lifestyle. Clubs can be scared off easily i.e. Garlett

If Richmond get him for next year they will probably have the most formidable midfield: Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Edwards, Miles, Bennell, Vlastuin, Conca

That is scary good.

We still lack that Dangerfield, Wines, Cripps, Fyfe, Kennedy big bodied contested ball winning type. Hoping we moving McIntosh into that role or we get Redden.

Counter that by Luke Ball. Deal wasn't done, but still ended up at the Pies..
Yeah that can happen, not always though. I can see Carlisle going to psd just to screw dons if he doesn't get to club of choice. Then it becomes a salary cap issue, he nominates a price. Good luck to whoever wants to pay it.
I think that was the Bally scenario, his asking price scared clubs off, but Collingwood we're always going to offer that anyhow.

I'd be surprised if Bennell is only prepared to go to a single club. I think you'll see club and player co-operate on this one.

Cotchin, Martin and Deledio can all win the contested ball and burst from the pack. I'd say you have more big bodied contested ball winners than West Coast.

They can all do it but Martin and Lids in particular are not beasts inside, plus they sit on HFF where they are at their best. Cotchin's best football has been alongside Jackson and Tuck who play that big bodied role. Mile's inclusion last year helped him out but we need some size in the clearances. We've moved Grigg in their and he has been better then expected but just a natural big bodied ball winning would be perfect.

That being said Bennell and Yarran's pace is a more vital need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hawks are in there too. As first preference he is also looking to move to Victoria and to a contending/competitve club. I assume it will be a Top 8 club as well.
Although Dayle Garlett did not work out, Hawthorn believe they need to show all players that they can manage 'disruptive personalities' such as Bennell. They see it as a way of being attractive to future players.

The two biggest differences is that Bennell was not caught doing his major illegal act and Bennell has had subsequent infractions. AFAIK Newman has not gotten out of jail and then turned up to training hungover or been re-arrested for knocking a cigarette. Snorting lines off strippers is also (unfortunately) illegal, if Bennell had of been caught by police carrying he would be in jail now too.

The bar for both of them is high, Newman just has not crossed it like Bennell since his major stuff up.
I still don't see Bennell's indiscretions as particularly serious.

We could, because of the above I wouldn't want to trade us out of two first round drafts. Your kidding yourself if you don't understand that this time next year we could be without Bennell AND our 2015 + 2016 first rounders. I don't mind taking a punt for 1 x first but not 2.
How am I 'kidding myself'?

If Richmond get him for next year they will probably have the most formidable midfield: Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Edwards, Miles, Bennell, Vlastuin, Conca

That is scary good.
'

Yes we're all shaking in our boots over Vlastuin and Conca... the only time I'd be worried about Conca was if my back was turned and I was heading to the bench :thumbsu:

But other clubs would offer little for Newman.WCE made a decision to try to rehabilitate him themselves. It's like an old car, you know it's ok and goes good, you sell it you get stuff all. So you keep it and nurse it along.
The fact he wasn't a star also would have made it much easier to sack him. The fact we didn't suggests we're unlikely to be scared off by Bennell's shenanigans.

'

Yes we're all shaking in our boots over Vlastuin and Conca... the only time I'd be worried about Conca was if my back was turned and I was heading to the bench :thumbsu:

A bit cute to criticise the two youngest and less experienced of the Richmond group I listed.

Especially coming from a North supporter who's midfield is probably in the bottom 5 midfields moving forward:

Aging (Ages in 2016):
Harvey (38)
Dal Santo (32)
Wells (31)
Gibson (30)
Swallow (29)
Higgins (28)

The rest:
Cunnington (25)
Bastinac (25)
Ziebell (25)

Remove this Banner Ad