Traded Harley Bennell [traded with #22 to Fremantle for #16 and #35]

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't see Bennell's indiscretions as particularly serious.

How am I 'kidding myself'?

They aren't serious in the sense of breaking laws etc, but he has shown a complete lack of disrespect for any club rules put in place on a number of occasions. Not really getting involved in the debate here but just wanted to say that's likely to have a big say in how clubs view him - getting pissed clubs don't care about, getting pissed when you've specifically been told not to and acting up as well clubs do care about.

I think he is a risky proposition, I know he is super talented but he could go full nova like Garlett or he might knucle down and be awesome, it is going to be really hard to determine fair compensation value. His compensation is going to come down to how many clubs are seriously prepared to take him, outside of fire sale value.

I would take a punt on Bennell.
He played extremely well and tried his guts out after the suspension.
Martin Pike was an idiot, but he could play.
You just have to look at what you gain v the risk involved.
I'm not a fan of the no d1ckhe@d policy.
Many sportspeople around the world aren't angels.
I would only pass if it was 100% known that he is still on drugs.

I would take a punt on Bennell.
He played extremely well and tried his guts out after the suspension.
Martin Pike was an idiot, but he could play.
You just have to look at what you gain v the risk involved.
I'm not a fan of the no d1ckhe@d policy.
Many sportspeople around the world aren't angels.
I would only pass if it was 100% known that he is still on drugs.

We took Pike in the late 90s and he did knuckle down before going on the turps, he then settled down again at Brisbane before exiting with fists of fury. The problem with self-destructive players is they rarely ever go out alone, it can often be carnage which impacts a lot of other players at a club.

I think it is why he would need to be a club with a pretty mature list imo, all the guys married and spitting out babies don't have too much time for trouble and might be able to help him to focus on the footy. I think Bennell was just around too many kids all going psycho as they do whenever you put a lot of boys in an environment together.

I hope he gets an opportunity and he settles down, would be a shame for the game and for him personally if his contribution to the game is lost.

Adelaide should go after him. Eddie Betts is the kind of mentor who'd be good for a kid like Bennell.

A bit cute to criticise the two youngest and less experienced of the Richmond group I listed.

Especially coming from a North supporter who's midfield is probably in the bottom 5 midfields moving forward:

Aging (Ages in 2016):
Harvey (38)
Dal Santo (32)
Wells (31)
Gibson (30)
Swallow (29)
Higgins (28)

The rest:
Cunnington (25)
Bastinac (25)
Ziebell (25)

I felt bad about it but they're just so easy to criticise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's was Barrett's thoughts two month ago, if you listen to the pod cast.
A lot has changed since then

Hold up, when did Barrett say he was going to Victoria? If he said that a few months ago, then you are right, things have changed. The question is whether his family want him to return? It is like he has gone into exile, he needs to come home and claim pride rock.

Bennell IS worth a First Round pick. He's a game winner. Stuff this 2nd rnd pick only. 1st Rnd OR Decent player/early 2nd.
I think you'll get your R1 if you agree to pay part of his wage for the next two years.

I think its one of the few good decisions your club has made lately, you have enough distractions and problems without adding another one.
He'd fall through the cracks in 20 seconds. That said he might be able to find them a better source with better record keeping abilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Harley Bennell [traded with #22 to Fremantle for #16 and #35]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back