Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Wilson a smoky for the Rising Star? Afl.com.au said so:

"With one round to go, Wilson's numbers are almost identical to Dempsey's and he's now shown he can influence games on his own."

Upon closer inspection, Dempsey averages 2.5 more disposals, 0.9 more combined goals/assists, 1.8 more score involvements, 1.8 more contested possessions and 0.5 more tackles per game.

On the surface this may seem marginal, but for example score involvements are almost 50% higher for Dempsey, while goals/assists are twice as high.

So maybe not "almost identical". Still going to be a jet though.

Dempsey easily had a better year.

That's nothing against my boy Wilson though, what he's done as a first year player is pretty special.

He also had a 22 possession 3 goal game earlier in the year. Signs of things to come as a goal kicking winger.

Brilliant news for Dear. Had a great season.

When he plays we win. When he doesnt we dont.

Such a huge impact from someone so young and not rated by any club other than Hawthorn (would recruiters really have ignored him due to family?).
Franklin kicked 21 goals in 20 games in his first season.

Calsh has 19 after 14 games.

Has had a seriously good debut year.

Franklin kicked 21 goals in 20 games in his first season.

Calsh has 19 after 14 games.

Has had a seriously good debut year.

This is a great example of a meaningless stat/comparison. It says more about Franklin's first year than Dear's. I looked at 5 forwards I could think of quickly - Ben Brown, Max King, Ben King, Eric Hipwood, Jacob Van Rooyen - all had better goal rates in their first year than Franklin. Dear is going to be a special player but not because of that metric.

"With one round to go, Wilson's numbers are almost identical to Dempsey's and he's now shown he can influence games on his own."

Upon closer inspection, Dempsey averages 2.5 more disposals, 0.9 more combined goals/assists, 1.8 more score involvements, 1.8 more contested possessions and 0.5 more tackles per game.

On the surface this may seem marginal, but for example score involvements are almost 50% higher for Dempsey, while goals/assists are twice as high.

Wilson has been super consistent all year, I feel like every Saints game I’ve watched he’s performed well in.

Not sure if he’s necessarily the best talent of this group but in terms of overall performance this year I’d definitely have him up there.

Wilson is a shout.

Is kinda annoying the game were he got his RS nomination might be the earliest "body of work" nomination in this rewards history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a great example of a meaningless stat/comparison. It says more about Franklin's first year than Dear's. I looked at 5 forwards I could think of quickly - Ben Brown, Max King, Ben King, Eric Hipwood, Jacob Van Rooyen - all had better goal rates in their first year than Franklin. Dear is going to be a special player but not because of that metric.
Yeah Jesse Hogan had the best first year and look how he has …. Oh wait.

John Butcher kicked 18 goals in his first 7 games

Did you know the "Wizard" Watson is the first small forward ever to average three shots per game in their first season?

I know his inaccuracy gets talked up in preventing any discussions about his potential, but the last player to average three shots a game in their first season and score more behinds than goals was Ablett Sr, and he turned out pretty good.

Did you know the "Wizard" Watson is the first small forward ever to average three shots per game in their first season?

I know his inaccuracy gets talked up in preventing any discussions about his potential, but the last player to average three shots a game in their first season and score more behinds than goals was Ablett Sr, and he turned out pretty good.
So Hawks to trade Wiz to Geelong?

There's no way to prove Ablett Senior and Mrs Watson didn't have a magical evening together 20 years ago.

Well no, he isn’t: if we are going off scoring shots, he doesn’t average 3, or close to it - he averages 2.5. I would assume he averages the odd ‘did not score.’

But so too would have Charlie Cameron who actually registered 2.8 scoring shots per game in his first season and himself probably had numerous non-scores. And that’s having only looked at two players (Cameron and Eddie Betts).

Edit: Stephen Milne had 47 scoring shots from 17 games in his first year. That too doesn’t include shots on goal that didn’t register a score. So no, we don’t know that ‘The Wizard’ is the first small forward to ever do it because he’s not.

He's an excellent prospect, if he had not missed so many he would be getting a lot more hype*

*Massive ducker though

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back