Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's take it to the extreme. Harley is in his third year and hasn't signed his contract extension yet. You reckon he's going to extend his contract for one year.

Do you know how clownish that sounds. I don't think wce would be thrilled by that as well. His management may push it. But Harley I doubt would and wce I doubt would.
It's not the players choice to take a 3 year Rookie contract. Harley has said he is a live in the moment type of guy, so for an 19yo live in the moment guy a 1 year contract could seem like a long time. We don't need to change Harley to fit into a limited mindset. Fine if he does only 1 year contracts, fine if he retires if-ever he loses the passion. If he wants to leave that's fine too. Can't project wishes from one person to the next.

Let's take it to the extreme. Harley is in his third year and hasn't signed his contract extension yet. You reckon he's going to extend his contract for one year.

Do you know how clownish that sounds. I don't think wce would be thrilled by that as well. His management may push it. But Harley I doubt would and wce I doubt would.

Since you came up with this EXTREME example sure it sounds clownish. You came up with it so no surprises there. ;)

That wasn't what I posted. Not even close.

If he is smart he locks in a 4th year NOW to ensure he at least earns one year on big money.

If he doesn't he risks earning rookie wages for three years and hopes the concussion gods are smiling. Unlike the poor kid who medically retired this season in his first year.

That's the risk in not extending and letting go your first three years run it's course. And early concussion retirements are getting more and more common.

You disagree?

Eagle supporters hoping to move up the ladder by 2026 is crazy talk. You guys haven't bottomed out yet, your two best players are gov and barrass who will both be gone by 2026.

How long did it take Hawthorn.

Go look at their list of gun players and where they came from.

Some clubs take decades and even multiple decades to build a contending list. Others don't. You should be well aware of that.
Michael Scott Wink GIF

Flagmantle was crazy talk, moving from 16 to 14th in two years is not.

We lost plenty of senior players across the last couple seasons which pushed our rebuild back however it will now be better and longer.

Second youngest side in the afl not making finals with out Pearce, treacy and Darcy is to be expected.

Some clubs take decades and even multiple decades to build a contending list. Others don't. You should be well aware of that.
Michael Scott Wink GIF

Please don't compare Hawks situation with yours lol.

There best players every week across the last 3 seasons have been youth.

You guys have been worse and your best players have either been old or leaving.

It's amazing how winning games of footy suddenly makes your players look so much better.

When they started the season 0-5, people were talking about them being putrid, tanking, shit list, etc.

A proper system has shown it can massively make up for the talent deficiency everyone supposedly thinks they have.

It's amazing how winning games of footy suddenly makes your players look so much better.

When they started the season 0-5, people were talking about them being putrid, tanking, shit list, etc.

A proper system has shown it can massively make up for the talent deficiency everyone supposedly thinks they have.

They were always more competitive and younger with a healthier list composition then you guys. They also chose to get rid of guys like Jaeger and Titch for short term pain long term gain.

It's also highly unlikely you guys get a wizard coach like Sam Mitchell. Especially because half the assistant coaches in the AFL have already knocked you back.

Eagles have just dug themselves in to the deepest hole and the bottom hasn't come yet. Gov and Barrass are your two best players every week.

They were always more competitive and younger with a healthier list composition then you guys. They also chose to get rid of guys like Jaeger and Titch for short term pain long term gain.

It's also highly unlikely you guys get a wizard coach like Sam Mitchell. Especially because half the assistant coaches in the AFL have already knocked you back.

Eagles have just dug themselves in to the deepest hole and the bottom hasn't come yet. Gov and Barrass are your two best players every week.

Ok Boomer

Don't know who you watched but they were truly pathetic for the first year and a half under Mitchell. Only started to turn it around halfway through last year.

Nobody knows who we'll get.

None of the coaches who 'knocked us back' would've been under consideration for the role anyway, other than Cox. This comes directly from Pyke.

Gov yes, Barrass no.

It's clear you don't watch WCE play outside the derby, why would you even make a stupid comment like this?

Rewind three years DH and how were the Hawks going?

Any Harley Reid's on the Hawks list three years ago?

Three more drafts and trade periods and 72 more games experience I do expect to be knudging the top 8 in one of the most even home and away seasons in history.

The Eagles salary cap is about to free up some big offers for current players but plenty to attract multiple high priced trade targets.

Lets just see how things are going into season 2028.

I can see the eagles bouncing back relatively quickly. Right now it's just a shedding old players and getting draftees in the door phase. Give it a season or two and they'll be in the ear of every decent WA bred plater in the country with capspace to burn. People have short memories about this club sometimes.

Rewind three years DH and how were the Hawks going?

Any Harley Reid's on the Hawks list three years ago?

Three more drafts and trade periods and 72 more games experience I do expect to be knudging the top 8 in one of the most even home and away seasons in history.

The Eagles salary cap is about to free up some big offers for current players but plenty to attract multiple high priced trade targets.

Lets just see how things are going into season

I think there is a chance you guys could be pushing for top 8 again after three more drafts, but only once those 3 drafts can all actually consistently contribute. You need to pump at least 3 years of development in to most 18 year olds before they can be a quality afl player. So 6 years from now feels much more realistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see the eagles bouncing back relatively quickly. Right now it's just a shedding old players and getting draftees in the door phase. Give it a season or two and they'll be in the ear of every decent WA bred plater in the country with capspace to burn. People have short memories about this club sometimes.

Relative to what? They’ve been horrid for 3 years with their best still their vets who are only getting older.

In 2 years time they’ll also lose McGovern, Cripps and Yeo, Kelly will be 32.

Then 2 years after that, then what?

Under 26 guys that have anything are literally: Allen, Reid, Hough, Ginbey, Williams

How can you ‘see’? Or is it just assuming they’ll find a way?

They need a genuine clear out and haven’t done this for a few years and now stuck.

Relative to what? They’ve been horrid for 3 years with their best still their vets who are only getting older.

Under 26 guys that have anything are literally: Allen, Reid, Hough, Ginbey, Williams

They need a genuine clear out and haven’t done this for a few years and now stuck.
Half the team's under 21.

Just because you don't know their names, doesn't mean they won't come good.

Half the team's under 21.

Just because you don't know their names, doesn't mean they won't come good.

Fair.

Half is an exagerration.

14 guys under 21.

They will come on, but on exposed form there’s not many to be excited by under the age of 26.

Very much still be driven by vets. That’s just a factual observation. Those vets will be phased out. That’s also just a fact.

The youth coming in and carrying is a hope which even the most one eyed Eagle supporter wouldn’t be confident of over the next 2-3 years. It can move quickly, but Hawks are an exemption. The reality is teams can be stuck for sometime.

Agree except Allen, Hough and Ginbey are overrated; Bailey Williams is the worst 70 game player in the history of afl/aflw. We don't just need to get rid of the players, we must get rid of the people who draft, develop and select them. And salt the earth.

Michael Scott Wink GIF
You don’t even have a coach though.

Maybe in 2 weeks you have Ken and I could see it if he can talk the board into doing his usual tops. The rebuild still needs a lot of work & you probably need to really start pumping games into kids which will be next year.

Moving on Barass and Darling will be good long term but you’ll probably get worse. Especially if Gov goes down.

I think there is a chance you guys could be pushing for top 8 again after three more drafts, but only once those 3 drafts can all actually consistently contribute. You need to pump at least 3 years of development in to most 18 year olds before they can be a quality afl player. So 6 years from now feels much more realistic.

And where were the Hawks at 3 years ago?

You keep ignoring that point.

Anyway you have your view and others have different views. Mine is if the Hawks can improve with the limitations they currently have why not the Eagles in three more years.

It isn't like the Eagles just started a rebuild. Half the list is under 23. With Barrass, Gaff and Darling moving on that leaves McGovern as one of only a few over 30.

You don’t even have a coach though.

Maybe in 2 weeks you have Ken and I could see it if he can talk the board into doing his usual tops. The rebuild still needs a lot of work & you probably need to really start pumping games into kids which will be next year.

Moving on Barass and Darling will be good long term but you’ll probably get worse. Especially if Gov goes down.

Suggest our next coach is still working in season. And I'm sure the club will land a decent operator.

Ken may be the development type coach we need. Or King. Or Montgomery.

It will sort itself out soon enough.

Fair.

Half is an exagerration.

14 guys under 21.

They will come on, but on exposed form there’s not many to be excited by under the age of 26.

Very much still be driven by vets. That’s just a factual observation. Those vets will be phased out. That’s also just a fact.

The youth coming in and carrying is a hope which even the most one eyed Eagle supporter wouldn’t be confident of over the next 2-3 years. It can move quickly, but Hawks are an exemption. The reality is teams can be stuck for sometime.
The only vets really driving it are Yeo and Gov.

Kelly's been turd for a couple of years, mostly due to not playing a role that suits him

Cripps is cooked.

Yeo has 3 more years but I imagine he'll be phased out from being the main man from next year to let the kids take more on.

Gov will likely play on for a couple more years after next year also. Apart from last year, he's not really prone to soft-tissue injuries, they're mostly impact ones over his career. Gets a lot of weird injuries but he's still close to, if not, the best KPD in the league.

Our better form later in the season was mostly driven by the young players, with the exception of McGovern.

The biggest issue is really the midfield. If Hewett can come back fit and without issues next year + whoever we draft with our first pick, that will go a long way to improving the side.

Couple that with possibly a few mature players to surround them with via FA/trade and it suddenly looks much better.

Concern is replacing McGovern. Barnett played back late in the WAFL season and looked poles apart from the shit he's been serving up as a ruckman, so there's potential there. Archer Reid could also follow in his brother's footsteps and become a backman instead of a forward. Maric also played most of his junior career there(only played forward during his draft year) and could be our distributor off half back, like Sicily.

There's a fair bit to work with but the players ultimately needed a new voice, as Simmo said in his Backchat interview a few weeks ago.

Agree except Allen, Hough and Ginbey are overrated; Bailey Williams is the worst 70 game player in the history of afl/aflw. We don't just need to get rid of the players, we must get rid of the people who draft, develop and select them. And salt the earth.

Was referring to Jack Williams and I was being nice in mentioning him, but he looks potentially very good.

Bailey is dead set rubbish.

The only vets really driving it are Yeo and Gov.

Kelly's been turd for a couple of years, mostly due to not playing a role that suits him

Cripps is cooked.

Yeo has 3 more years but I imagine he'll be phased out from being the main man from next year to let the kids take more on.

Gov will likely play on for a couple more years after next year also. Apart from last year, he's not really prone to soft-tissue injuries, they're mostly impact ones over his career. Gets a lot of weird injuries but he's still close to, if not, the best KPD in the league.

Our better form later in the season was mostly driven by the young players, with the exception of McGovern.

The biggest issue is really the midfield. If Hewett can come back fit and without issues next year + whoever we draft with our first pick, that will go a long way to improving the side.

Couple that with possibly a few mature players to surround them with via FA/trade and it suddenly looks much better.

Concern is replacing McGovern. Barnett played back late in the WAFL season and looked poles apart from the shit he's been serving up as a ruckman, so there's potential there. Archer Reid could also follow in his brother's footsteps and become a backman instead of a forward. Maric also played most of his junior career there(only played forward during his draft year) and could be our distributor off half back, like Sicily.

There's a fair bit to work with but the players ultimately needed a new voice, as Simmo said in his Backchat interview a few weeks ago.

Name the youngsters that were driving it?
It was basically McGovern, Barrass, Waterman, Yeo, Kelly, Dugan, Cole when shifted. Then sprinkled with some green shoots.
Youngsters didn’t drive a thing.

Even Darling and Cripps were the ones playing better late in the year.

I watched the games but even a look at AFL stats will show you the best 10 players each week are 8 out of 10 the vets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back