Speculation Rory Lobb [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobb hasn't been dropped despite the fact that people are claiming here that he played terrible, which is exactly the point of what he's worth - it's not as if there's another 200+cm football-adjacent human being that can undercut his salary or the need for have some element of structural balance on an AFL

Lobb hasn't been dropped despite the fact that people are claiming here that he played terrible, which is exactly the point of what he's worth - it's not as if there's another 200+cm football-adjacent human being that can undercut his salary or the need for have some element of structural balance on an AFL
I assume Darcy is back next week.

This idea that you can just go out and recruit the competing forward/ruck for 400k a year instead of Lobb's 500k is just silly. Supply and demand forces these salaries and there just isn't a supply of key forwards that you'd feel comfortable taking more than about 10% of ruck contests in a game across the league.

On the other hand you have the likes of Pies fans here who believe that Rory Lobb wouldn't be an upgrade over someone like Mason Cox, so common sense doesn't seem to take charge here.
You can’t exalt Lobb’s value based on his height and role, and then devalue Cox the very next paragraph. I agree Lobb has value and his kind are hard to find and are quite important for depth reasons on lists, but Cox offers the very same benefits.

Much like Bulldogs supporters who watch every game are more knowledgeable about their side than rival supporters, the same applies to Collingwood. Take it from the bulk of a supporter group who see Lobb as no more than a sideways trade from Cox, who is contracted for next season.

Cox shows his clear worth as a best 22 player at Collingwood. He’s one of the best second ruck options in the league and is constantly used as a down the line target where if he doesn’t clunk marks, we often win out at ground level.

Lobb is a more potent forward option, Cox is a better ruck.

Barring an unforeseen retirement due to his knee injury, Cox will be at Collingwood next year. Spending 500k-ish on completion for Cox is not wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t exalt Lobb’s value based on his height and role, and then devalue Cox the very next paragraph. I agree Lobb has value and his kind are hard to find and are quite important for depth reasons on lists, but Cox offers the very same benefits.

Much like Bulldogs supporters who watch every game are more knowledgeable about their side than rival supporters, the same applies to Collingwood. Take it from the bulk of a supporter group who see Lobb as no more than a sideways trade from Cox, who is contracted for next season.

Cox shows his clear worth as a best 22 player at Collingwood. He’s one of the best second ruck options in the league and is constantly used as a down the line target where if he doesn’t clunk marks, we often win out at ground level.

Lobb is a more potent forward option, Cox is a better ruck.

Barring an unforeseen retirement due to his knee injury, Cox will be at Collingwood next year. Spending 500k-ish on completion for Cox is not wise.
I'm not saying that Cox isn't a best 22 player (though I disagree that he's one of the best second ruck options in the league, just that he's good enough to get a game in a vacuum at an AFL club). Just that AFL structure necessitates a few players that are very tall, can run across the ground and can take instruction from coaches to play different roles, irrespective of actual output - Cox runs around all day and wins the ball about six or seven times, which means his direct impact on driving the ball toward his own goal to score (or prevent the opposition from doing so) directly is limited. Lobb plays a very similar role and has yet played far better at AFL level, however, the carryon for some here is that he wouldn't get a game in their team (he would).

I'm not saying that Cox isn't a best 22 player (though I disagree that he's one of the best second ruck options in the league, just that he's good enough to get a game in a vacuum at an AFL club). Just that AFL structure necessitates a few players that are very tall, can run across the ground and can take instruction from coaches to play different roles, irrespective of actual output - Cox runs around all day and wins the ball about six or seven times, which means his direct impact on driving the ball toward his own goal to score (or prevent the opposition from doing so) directly is limited. Lobb plays a very similar role and has yet played far better at AFL level, however, the carryon for some here is that he wouldn't get a game in their team (he would).
Watch Cox in the grand final last year. He was our 1st ruck. When he is on, he is hard to stop in the ruck due to his 211cm frame. As a ruck there are not to many 2nd rucks that can go with him. I suspect that Lobb would be similar but not quite as good in the ruck. Cox can also do a job as a forward. Last year he kick 17 goals playing more as a 1st ruck rather than a forward, but often working forward as well. He has also kicked 25 goals when playing as a forward in a season in 2018 but struggled with eye issues in 2019, 20 and 21. He got the glasses in 22 which helped him a lot. He probably the player who is most similar to Lobb in every way. Lobb is a side grade for sure. A bit better as a forward but a little worse as a ruck. If Lobb was 28 I would be all over him to replace Cox and he would be worth a 1st. But a 32 year old Lobb worries me especially when we still have Cox contracted in 2025. Sure Lobb on our list would be okay....if his salary is cheap and we pay no major draft capital for him. He should have gone to Melbourne in 2023.

Would rather Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Rory Lobb [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back