Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Name the youngsters that were driving it?
It was basically McGovern, Barrass, Waterman, Yeo, Kelly, Dugan, Cole when shifted. Then sprinkled with some green shoots.
Youngsters didn’t drive a thing.
Barrass didn't play for the last what, 4 weeks? Not sure you can count him.

Reid(obviously), JWilliams did some good things, as did Dewar, Johnston showed a lost of poise and takes good options, Maric(after he was inexplicably dropped for Gaff's farewell tour).

Jack Hutchinson was our best vs Geelong.

Ginbey's been far better since moving back(apart from playing on Cameron, obviously).

Of our veterans, only McGovern has really been elite.

Yeo had a good first half to the season before tapering off and Kelly's disposal has been horrific and a main reason we were getting torched on turnover.

Duggan's disposal has also been pure filth. Can't fault his endeavour though, I guess.

As mentioned earlier, Hough's been fantastic nearly every game. Wouldn't be surprised if he makes the AA squad in the next couple of seasons. People are starting to properly notice him.

It'd say out of the players you named, only McGovern, Waterman and Yeo would be players WCE fans have been happy with this season. Most are down on Kelly, Duggan and Cole, mostly due to poor disposal and(in Kelly's place) poor defensive efforts.

There's plenty to work with. Things can turn around quickly if the list management team can bring in a few decent mature players to plug the most obvious holes.

Even Darling and Cripps were the ones playing better late in the year.

I watched the games but even a look at AFL stats will show you the best 10 players each week are 8 out of 10 the vets.
Cripps was turd. Singlehandedly the reason we got burnt on transition multiple times because he can't cleanly pick up a ****ing football.

Even if we poach Walls and get a good coach it will be 5 years before we can even think about a premiership. The midfield group will not be elite while our ruck options are BW, HB, CL, CJ or MF. So despite having 5 on the list we need to draft and develop a new ruck which is always a slow process.

Barrass didn't play for the last what, 4 weeks? Not sure you can count him.

Reid(obviously), JWilliams did some good things, as did Dewar, Johnston showed a lost of poise and takes good options, Maric(after he was inexplicably dropped for Gaff's farewell tour).

Jack Hutchinson was our best vs Geelong.

Ginbey's been far better since moving back(apart from playing on Cameron, obviously).

Of our veterans, only McGovern has really been elite.

Yeo had a good first half to the season before tapering off and Kelly's disposal has been horrific and a main reason we were getting torched on turnover.

Duggan's disposal has also been pure filth. Can't fault his endeavour though, I guess.

As mentioned earlier, Hough's been fantastic nearly every game. Wouldn't be surprised if he makes the AA squad in the next couple of seasons. People are starting to properly notice him.

It'd say out of the players you named, only McGovern, Waterman and Yeo would be players WCE fans have been happy with this season. Most are down on Kelly, Duggan and Cole, mostly due to poor disposal and(in Kelly's place) poor defensive efforts.

There's plenty to work with. Things can turn around quickly if the list management team can bring in a few decent mature players to plug the most obvious holes.

We’re talking about ‘driving’ the performances. Sure, the youngsters had moments. They didn’t drive anything.

We’re talking about ‘driving’ the performances. Sure, the youngsters had moments. They didn’t drive anything.
They certainly turned around our 2nd half vs Geelong, after being 100 points down to wining the 2nd half. Cue in the rack or not.

The vets do too much chipping around and holding up play, whereas the younger guys take the game on a lot more. Expect to see more of the latter next season.

Let's write off round 24 and 23.

Round 22 (They beat North) - Allen kicked 5, McGovern was McGovern, then throw a blanket over a bunch. Kelly 19 touches and 9 tackles, Yeo 17 and 2 goals, Cripps kicked 3. Can make a fair argument that Trew and Hough were solid.

Round 21 (They beat GC) - Darling was a monster, Duggan 22 1 goal and 8 tackles + 5 clearances, Yeo 26 and 6 tackles + 5 clearances, Kelly had 31 and 8 clearances, Cripps was solid 23 and 1 goal. Allen kicked 2. Waterman kicked 4. Ginbey, Hough and J.Williams all solid. McGovern was McGovern. Those last 4 wouldn't be in best 5 on the ground.

Round 20 (Lost to Freo) - Yeo, Cole, Kelly Solid, Reid was immense. Waterman kicked 3. Nothing else.

Forget round 19

Round 18 Lost to Lions, first game for Jarrad) - Ryan, Kelly, Yeo the best. Trew was very good. Next 5 best all maturer players.

Reid did stuff all towards the back end of the season. Was running on fumes. Didn't drive a thing. Plus I've just pointed out who did.

Mainly vets.

They certainly turned around our 2nd half vs Geelong, after being 100 points down to wining the 2nd half. Cue in the rack or not.

The vets do too much chipping around and holding up play, whereas the younger guys take the game on a lot more. Expect to see more of the latter next season.

Oh.

Ok.

We're using the second half of a game when down by 100 for the evidence. Guess we're not writing off round 24.

Let's write off round 24 and 23.

Round 22 (They beat North) - Allen kicked 5, McGovern was McGovern, then throw a blanket over a bunch. Kelly 19 touches and 9 tackles, Yeo 17 and 2 goals, Cripps kicked 3. Can make a fair argument that Trew and Hough were solid.

Round 21 (They beat GC) - Darling was a monster, Duggan 22 1 goal and 8 tackles + 5 clearances, Yeo 26 and 6 tackles + 5 clearances, Kelly had 31 and 8 clearances, Cripps was solid 23 and 1 goal. Allen kicked 2. Waterman kicked 4. Ginbey, Hough and J.Williams all solid. McGovern was McGovern. Those last 4 wouldn't be in best 5 on the ground.

Round 20 (Lost to Freo) - Yeo, Cole, Kelly Solid, Reid was immense. Waterman kicked 3. Nothing else.

Forget round 19

Round 18 Lost to Lions, first game for Jarrad) - Ryan, Kelly, Yeo the best. Trew was very good. Next 5 best all maturer players.

Reid did stuff all towards the back end of the season. Was running on fumes. Didn't drive a thing. Plus I've just pointed out who did.

Mainly vets.

Kidding yourself if you think Kelly's been remotely near our best in any of those games, despite the stats.

Ditto Cripps and Duggan. All 3 have been liabilities most of the year, to the point most people wanted them dropped.

Same with Darling.

Hell, many wanted Allen dropped, such was his poor form outside of snagging a few goals.

I'll give you Gov, Waterman and Yeo.

The rest has been the younger brigade.

Kidding yourself if you think Kelly's been remotely near our best in any of those games, despite the stats.

Ditto Cripps and Duggan. All 3 have been liabilities most of the year, to the point most people wanted them dropped.

Same with Darling.

Hell, many wanted Allen dropped, such was his poor form outside of snagging a few goals.

I’m just providing stats and observations.
You can’t say Kelly has been rubbish when he regularly has the most touches and clearances and then mention someone like Dewar who kicked 2 goals one time.

Plus you mentioned back part of the year, so I literally just pointed out the last block of games, especially under the new coach.

Anyway, all the best mate.

Plus you mentioned back part of the year, so I literally just pointed out the last block of games, especially under the new coach.

Anyway, all the best mate.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Early in the year, Simpson relied on the oldies, as he always did.

We only saw it changed up a fair bit when Schofield took over.

If you were talking about the first half of the year, I'd agree with you.

Same with Darling.

Kelly received coaches votes in 3 of those games mentioned.
But I guess I’m kidding myself if the stats and the coaches voting suggest otherwise. They were the 3 games you were competitive in.
Doubt he was driving the performance. Rather, feasting on all the work of the youngsters who unfortunately weren’t recognised.

But I guess I’m kidding myself if the stats and the coaches voting suggest otherwise. They were the 3 games you were competitive in.
Doubt he was driving the performance. Rather, feasting on all the work of the youngsters who unfortunately weren’t recognised.
I think we both have a different idea of what i mean by 'driving', it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name the youngsters that were driving it?
It was basically McGovern, Barrass, Waterman, Yeo, Kelly, Dugan, Cole when shifted. Then sprinkled with some green shoots.
Youngsters didn’t drive a thing.

The youngsters added youth and enthusiasm. The older players mentioned it all year.

Harley obviously.

Hough played very well and is now our #1 lockdown defender who takes the most damaging small or medium forward.

Long did well before being injured.

Dewar late in the season added some class.

Jack Williams had a great year for a tall so young.

Ginbey finished off very well playing half back.

And yes the older guys lifted. They needed to. And no surprises the mature bodies performed better late in the season. Kids take time to develop AFL bodies and endurance.

Eagle supporters hoping to move up the ladder by 2026 is crazy talk. You guys haven't bottomed out yet, your two best players are gov and barrass who will both be gone by 2026.
We bottomed out last year. Next year could be tricky but we should have a better team than 2024.

You are kidding yourself regarding Kelly and Allen who have been lazy and selfish for multiple years. Yeo also is just a run as far as I can and kick as far as I can player, like he never progressed mentally from under 10s. You are 100% correct on our young players who also generally perform badly, most WCE people look at them like their children that can do no wrong. Compare say Ginbey as a mid vs Ryley sanders (who cant get a game) and it's obvious, Old and young we just suck at the moment.

You are kidding yourself regarding Kelly and Allen who have been lazy and selfish for multiple years. Yeo also is just a run as far as I can and kick as far as I can player, like he never progressed mentally from under 10s. You are 100% correct on our young players who also generally perform badly, most WCE people look at them like their children that can do no wrong. Compare say Ginbey as a mid vs Ryley sanders (who cant get a game) and it's obvious, Old and young we just suck at the moment.

I wasn’t saying Kelly or Allen were good. Just mentioning that the ‘carrying’ wasn’t from the youngsters.

Kelly in the sample we were discussing was one that lifted as evidenced by 3 games of coaches votes.

I was being polite as opposed to saying there’s just varying degrees of turd running around and some are quite steamy whilst others that have been there for a while are quite hard to remove.

Agree except Allen, Hough and Ginbey are overrated; Bailey Williams is the worst 70 game player in the history of afl/aflw. We don't just need to get rid of the players, we must get rid of the people who draft, develop and select them. And salt the earth.
^^100% troll account.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back