Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean this is just not true. Ashcroft played 4th/5th mid in a very strong midfield, Sheezel and Daicos played off half back racking up cheapies and I cant remember Serongs first year tbh but it never gets spoken about with the others so I assume it wasnt as good as the others.
None of them went straight into the middle doing 80% CBAs in their first season
Reid is a man child though in a shit midfield. He’s had a good season but I’m not convinced he’s going to be the best player in the AFL right now & paying him 30% more than anybody would be a mistake made thru desperation.

Correct. He signed a contract in 2024 because that is the year we are in right now. His contract is indexed up as will all Freo players this year.
So did you write his contract? If he moved, then he has a new one and no one know’s what he is on or any specifics or %. The media usually reports the top end or even more than the actual contracts and no one has mentioned 1.3m.

Reid is a man child though in a shit midfield. He’s had a good season but I’m not convinced he’s going to be the best player in the AFL right now & paying him 30% more than anybody would be a mistake made thru desperation.
Reid could have had 25 touches a week and racked up sideways kicks in the backline too like Sheezel or floated around behind other players who took marks for the little handball so he could do the next 25m kick like Daicos too.

I dont consider the stats those two racked up to be worth much. Id much rather 15 of Reids touches tbh, as would any sane person

I mean yes. Do you think Bolton was on 500k a year this year ? I think people don’t get how the increase in salary cap works I feel and how it differs from clubs like Freo/Demons and then Eagles/St Kilda.
Just to be clear. Bolton was on 900k this year and its indexed next year? That's what you're telling us?

Just to be clear. Bolton was on 900k this year and its indexed next year? That's what you're telling us?
He was on 900k when his contract was signed 2022 which has been indexed in 2024 when salary went up. That was the deals agreed to by both Richmond and Fremantle

Eagles/St Kilda didnt agree to this. So when Oscar Allen signed in 2022 what he signed in 2022 hasnt changed ever since. Its very hard maths to do but the money saved in the cap by both WCE/Saints that other hasnt must be in the range of 10-15 mill by the end of 2028

Its why St Kilda signed Ben King to a new deal. Give him 2 mill a year for 2024/2025 since they have this insane amount of free space others dont so when 2030 comes he is on 500k a year/bugger all

Reid is on a draft contract.. no salary increases except what’s in the CBA.
Yep thats true. When the time comes though, Eagles will have more salary cap room then anyone else besides maybe St Kilda

We can give Reid 5/10 and basically do so for free from the money we saved by not indexing everyones wages.

Im also confused btw. What are we meant to do with this saved money? In case no one noticed our list is ****ing putrid. Only so many players you can frontload and give money too. We will reach a point when the money saved needs to be spent. Who better to spend it on then Harley Reid?

Yep thats true. When the time comes though, Eagles will have more salary cap room then anyone else besides maybe St Kilda

We can give Reid 5/10 and basically do so for free from the money we saved by not indexing everyones wages.
I don’t personally think he’s going anywhere, but if you have to pay him that much to keep him I’m not sure I’d want to be in that position either.
Im also confused btw. What are we meant to do with this saved money? In case no one noticed our list is ****ing putrid. Only so many players you can frontload and give money too. We will reach a point when the money saved needs to be spent. Who better to spend it on then Harley Reid?
Essendon did the same thing, didn’t include CBA indexation clauses in any contracts. If you underpay overall then you can use the money the following two years (the 95-105% rule). If you go under 95% then the difference is distributed among the players.

The next thing that happens is you overpay and/or front load existing players and then go hunting for free agents and trying to buy better picks by trading out players and paying their massive salaries, but that only works if both your club and other clubs want the player. Throwing them out the door and keeping their salary has the opposite effect.

I don’t personally think he’s going anywhere, but if you have to pay him that much to keep him I’m not sure I’d want to be in that position either.

Essendon did the same thing, didn’t include CBA indexation clauses in any contracts. If you underpay overall then you can use the money the following two years (the 95-105% rule). If you go under 95% then the difference is distributed among the players.

The next thing that happens is you overpay and/or front load existing players and then go hunting for free agents and trying to buy better picks by trading out players and paying their massive salaries, but that only works if both your club and other clubs want the player. Throwing them out the door and keeping their salary has the opposite effect.
Im not sure about Essendon to be honest? I do know WCE and St Kilda didnt.

Not many free agents for us to hunt unfortunately. St Kilda and others well ahead of us in the taking massive salaries on from other teams. I also think both moves are dumber use of money then signing the most marketable player in the game on a bit of a overpay too, Id rather overpay Reid by 3 mill over 5 years then take on the likes of Rory Atkins to eeek out a extra 3rd round pick when the moves are up against each other

Im not sure about Essendon to be honest? I do know WCE and St Kilda didnt.
It's been widely reported.
Not many free agents for us to hunt unfortunately. St Kilda and others well ahead of us in the taking massive salaries on from other teams. I also think both moves are dumber use of money then signing the most marketable player in the game on a bit of a overpay too, Id rather overpay Reid by 3 mill over 5 years then take on the likes of Rory Atkins to eeek out a extra 3rd round pick when the moves are up against each other
Maybe, but I'd rather have a Reid that wants to play for you than one that stays because of a financial offer he just can't refuse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His body has a heap of room for improvement, he's just insanely strong. Will be close to impossible to tackle after a couple of proper AFL pres seasons

He was on 900k when his contract was signed 2022 which has been indexed in 2024 when salary went up. That was the deals agreed to by both Richmond and Fremantle

Eagles/St Kilda didnt agree to this. So when Oscar Allen signed in 2022 what he signed in 2022 hasnt changed ever since. Its very hard maths to do but the money saved in the cap by both WCE/Saints that other hasnt must be in the range of 10-15 mill by the end of 2028

It’s why St Kilda signed Ben King to a new deal. Give him 2 mill a year for 2024/2025 since they have this insane amount of free space others dont so when 2030 comes he is on 500k a year/bugger all
This just seems like Big Footy nuffie talk. Contracts aren’t public, new ones are signed every year and agents have players at all clubs. Why would they do something at 16 clubs and then get bent over at the Saints & WC?

Bolton was reported as a back ended deal with incentives of around 1-1.2m at Richmond. He was desperate to get home, who knows what his new contract is except Bolton, his management & Freo? He also extended it another year.

It's been widely reported.

Maybe, but I'd rather have a Reid that wants to play for you than one that stays because of a financial offer he just can't refuse.
I mean you hand me guaranteed money for $20m over a 10-12 year contract I'm certain I could phone it in for 2-3 years then get a salary dump trade to the club of my choice.

Its why St Kilda signed Ben King to a new deal. Give him 2 mill a year for 2024/2025 since they have this insane amount of free space others dont so when 2030 comes he is on 500k a year/bugger all
Um. But you said he signed a contract in 2024?
Correct. He signed a contract in 2024 because that is the year we are in right now. His contract is indexed up as will all Freo players this year.

This just seems like Big Footy nuffie talk. Contracts aren’t public, new ones are signed every year and agents have players at all clubs. Why would they do something at 16 clubs and then get bent over at the Saints & WC?

Bolton was reported as a back ended deal with incentives of around 1-1.2m at Richmond. He was desperate to get home, who knows what his new contract is except Bolton, his management & Freo? He also extended it another year.
To be fair focusing too much on one player here myself. Many other examples to use besides that one. I mean Jack Lukosius going to be on 1 mill + and the like

Reid is just easily worth 2 mill when you compare him to others

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back