Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard it 1 degree of separation from someone very high up at the Hawks that they were very far down the road with the Eagles in a trade that involved, Brocky, DGB, their first pick and this years first.

Zero chance Brocky, DGB and 2 Hawks first pics would have done the deal. Is there a team out there that would take DGB for free let alone a late 3rd? Brocky went to WC for Pick 44 and Pick 63. Hawks 2 first pics likely are both in the 6-12 range.

More likely this someone high up at the Hawks you been talking to sells dim sims at the local milkbar.

I don't read the paper, but I do follow it online to see if there's any cricket or football news I haven't seen on other sites that are more Vic-centric

Him being a Freo supporter is a myth that was dispelled a long time ago
Having lived in Sydney and spent a brief time in period in QLD. I can have a better grasp of the AFL and how they go about it in the media over here in WA. Over in NSW and QLD, you can pretty much walk out in public (as AFL players) and be treated as a 'normal every day Joe Bloggs'. Its like your one of a crowd. Its different in WA, where you get closer attention from the media and how your actions and what you do get monitored to the nth detail. In Sydney, you would never get articles written like they do in The West Australian, almost portraying Harley Reid as a 'symbol' or making him the focus of attention even in a satirical/amusing ways. And thats the thing that may be the big obstacle in him leaving.

I see Harley Reid possibly going down to a similar path to Chris Judd, maybe fork out it in WA for a few years, do a few things go for the club and then once he has achieved something significant at West Coast, then look to leave.

It does heavy a similar feel to the Lachie Neale exit to Freo. Neale never really spoke bad of Freo, being a laid-back country kid, he just wanted to be Lachie Neale outside football. And I feel it also has similar parallels to Harley Reid.

I know West Coast have been really supportive of managing Reid and allowing him extra time in Victoria etc. But home eventually rings home for alot of players. You look at players like David Mundy , a rare case of a Victorian, settling in WA for his lifetime.

I see West Coast , if they dont have major success in the next 3-5 years, I think the decision may be a bit more easier for Harley Reid. Would West Coast begrudge him if he left the Eagles in a better state than when he arrived? Im talking about possibly making the Finals , when he leaves them. Also maybe winning an Eagles Best and Fairest. I honestly dont they would.

And Reid from an article I read, does strike me as a very much a home boy.

I dont think any Victorian team would phase him.

Having lived in Sydney and spent a brief time in period in QLD. I can have a better grasp of the AFL and how they go about it in the media over here in WA. Over in NSW and QLD, you can pretty much walk out in public (as AFL players) and be treated as a 'normal every day Joe Bloggs'. Its like your one of a crowd. Its different in WA, where you get closer attention from the media and how your actions and what you do get monitored to the nth detail. In Sydney, you would never get articles written like they do in The West Australian, almost portraying Harley Reid as a 'symbol' or making him the focus of attention even in a satirical/amusing ways. And thats the thing that may be the big obstacle in him leaving.

I see Harley Reid possibly going down to a similar path to Chris Judd, maybe fork out it in WA for a few years, do a few things go for the club and then once he has achieved something significant at West Coast, then look to leave.

It does heavy a similar feel to the Lachie Neale exit to Freo. Neale never really spoke bad of Freo, being a laid-back country kid, he just wanted to be Lachie Neale outside football. And I feel it also has similar parallels to Harley Reid.
I used to think that, but now he is displaying so much arrogance I'm not sure. That arrogance could be because he has underlying issues. Since his suspension, the media has left him alone a bit.

I know West Coast have been really supportive of managing Reid and allowing him extra time in Victoria etc. But home eventually rings home for alot of players. You look at players like David Mundy , a rare case of a Victorian, settling in WA for his lifetime.

I see West Coast , if they dont have major success in the next 3-5 years, I think the decision may be a bit more easier for Harley Reid. Would West Coast begrudge him if he left the Eagles in a better state than when he arrived? Im talking about possibly making the Finals , when he leaves them. Also maybe winning an Eagles Best and Fairest. I honestly dont they would.

And Reid from an article I read, does strike me as a very much a home boy.

I dont think any Victorian team would phase him.
A rare case? 95% of our victorians spend their entire careers here

Zero chance Brocky, DGB and 2 Hawks first pics would have done the deal. Is there a team out there that would take DGB for free let alone a late 3rd? Brocky went to WC for Pick 44 and Pick 63. Hawks 2 first pics likely are both in the 6-12 range.

More likely this someone high up at the Hawks you been talking to sells dim sims at the local milkbar.

Whatever mate. I'm just sharing what I know.

Why would I lie? It doesn't change anything.

With both WA teams, a very high number of Vic & SA boys stay at the end of their career.

Scholfield, Suban, Pav, Mundy, Hurn, Waters etc.

Not many leave Port either. Not many have left Brisbane since they started winning.

The Crows have lost many which says something.

Expansion clubs are set up to lose players.

Narrative is mostly Sydney (for their own agenda) talking up go-home factor.

Not many leave Port either. Not many have left Brisbane since they started winning.

We have done very well poaching from Port over the years.

Last edited:

I was talking about players staying at the end of their careers.

They set up house and settle down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to sit back and say that now after seeing how the season has played out . But most people predicted hawks to finish bottom 2 heading into this season. Before the mckay compo that potentially looked like pick 4 and a top 3 pick this year along with 2 players pushing for best 22. We have obviously exceeded expectations so it's probably worked out well for both teams considering we got watson .

You look at players like David Mundy , a rare case of a Victorian, settling in WA for his lifetime.
Err, what?

Clearly you don't know much about West Coast, from saying this.

It's actually rare for Vic WCE players to leave WA after playing for them, especially high-profile ones.

And?

You think it's relevant in 2024?

Why do WA players want to leave Freo?
They literally traded away 2 time Brownlow medalist Lachie Neale for what was essentially Jesse Hogan who spiralled out of control due to drug and alcohol issues and left for a 3rd rounder, only managing to recover his career and life once he left Fremantle...

I mean we got JK/Masten for Judd. Fremantle ended up trading Lachie Neale for pick 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back