Harry McKay hit on Harry Sheezel

Remove this Banner Ad

Well he got sent straight to the tribunal, how long his foot injury supposed to be?
Got sent to the tribunal because any incident involving concussion is graded as severe still every chance he gets nothing in terms of suspension

But probably missing 4+ weeks with the foot

... what is it you think McKay did?
He tried to put pressure on the kick. He did it in a stupid way by trying to push with raised forearms. Got him too high on the shoulder and it slipped up and got him high.
Was dumb, but nowhere near the force of Logue.
Not worthy of a week. No issue with a fine.
Ballard's was off the ball, higher force and an intentional strike. They got that reduced to a fine.

Dumb and a bit of a cheap shot, but not worth a week. Neither was Acres or Logue, so who knows.
Sorry, but think Logue's was worth a week. Possibly even 2. The potential for injury on that one was pretty high.
Lined him up form a fair way back. Never really made a genuine attempt at the ball and ran straight through him with force.

There was no ball to be contested. Even the Bulldogs defender who was a metre behind him only got hands to the ball with fully outstretched arms. I don't know if the ball was swirling but it lookslike both players mis-read where it was going to land. I guess Lynch could have made a full leap at the ball knowing he was nowhere near it and then collected Keath in the head with his hip a la Milburn on Silvagni. And then there'd be more calls of Lynch being a dog, a sniper, a cheap shot artist, etc etc. Or he could have ran straight through Keath. And then there'd be more calls of Lynch being a dog, a sniper, a cheap shot artist, etc etc.
This is why me , and you , aren't on the match day committee.

Um... what?
View attachment 1654917

Don't try to compare to the Logue one. Logue lined him up and ran straight through him. Was lucky to only get 1 week.
There's a still when they are about a metre apart with Logue reaching for the ball and eyes on it. Day is looking at Logue. In the last step Logue tucks his arm in to absorb the contact.

Contested the ball

Given he was out of position, wouldn't that be viewed as an unrealistic attempt?

Free kick against and if Keith still got hurt (still very likely), he'd be in just as bad (if not worse) position with the tribunal....not to mention in more danger of getting hurt himself.

There is a reason they always say how courageous defenders going back with the flight/getting in front of a key forward when he's leading to the ball....It's pretty much unavoidable that they will cop a major impact.

There's a still when they are about a metre apart with Logue reaching for the ball and eyes on it. Day is looking at Logue. In the last step Logue tucks his arm in to absorb the contact.
A still? I've seen the footage. He has a half-arsed reach down as he's going past the ball, but has his shoulder tucked for impact before and during that reach. You can see he always intended to bump. The reach appeared to be more of a secondary thought simply because he was almost in arm's reach.

A still? I've seen the footage. He has a half-arsed reach down as he's going past the ball, but has his shoulder tucked for impact before and during that reach. You can see he always intended to bump. The reach appeared to be more of a secondary thought simply because he was almost in arm's reach.
A half-arsed reach for the ball is 1000% more than McKay.

Even if McKay went low this would be a free for a late bump. The fact that he lead with his forearms into Sheezel's head is indefensible. He's whacked a guy in the head with a late hit.

This is exactly what they want out of the game. Strikes to the head for no reason.

Logue was going for the ball, whether that was reaching for it or bumping an opponent off it. McKay wasnt.

There was no ball to be contested. Even the Bulldogs defender who was a metre behind him only got hands to the ball with fully outstretched arms. I don't know if the ball was swirling but it lookslike both players mis-read where it was going to land. I guess Lynch could have made a full leap at the ball knowing he was nowhere near it and then collected Keath in the head with his hip a la Milburn on Silvagni. And then there'd be more calls of Lynch being a dog, a sniper, a cheap shot artist, etc etc. Or he could have ran straight through Keath. And then there'd be more calls of Lynch being a dog, a sniper, a cheap shot artist, etc etc.
mate he pulled out of a marking contest to protect himself and then concussed someone. Its gutless and sniping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, but think Logue's was worth a week. Possibly even 2. The potential for injury on that one was pretty high.
Lined him up form a fair way back. Never really made a genuine attempt at the ball and ran straight through him with force.
Logue reaches for the ball before the contact and actually manages to get body (his leg) on it and get it moving in his direction, he didn't deviate off his line and didn't actually hurt Day. that's how the game should be played. If he'd wanted to he'd have wiped day out. That's what used to happen in those situations. The impact was classified as medium even tho it was low (otherwise day would have shown some sign of being hurt,) but imo this just ****s the game and is the result of AFL arse covering due to litigation.

if the player makes the effort not to cause injury (and obviously I reckon that was what Logue did) then the whole "potential to cause injury" clause is really a pointless crock of shite. The whole game has potential to cause injury. Its why we respect players who do courageous stuff onfield.

Also Day changes direction while Logue runs in a straight line the whole time.

Penalising the person running straight at the ball or contest in this situation is potentially game breaking imo.

McKay will get a week. Late hit with two forearms to the head. Given that the potential to cause injury seems to be as important as any injury actually caused, I can't see the tribunal ignoring it.

Logue reaches for the ball before the contact and actually manages to get body (his leg) on it and get it moving in his direction, he didn't deviate off his line and didn't actually hurt Day. that's how the game should be played. If he'd wanted to he'd have wiped day out. That's what used to happen in those situations. The impact was classified as medium even tho it was low (otherwise day would have shown some sign of being hurt,) but imo this just *s the game and is the result of AFL arse covering due to litigation.

if the player makes the effort not to cause injury (and obviously I reckon that was what Logue did) then the whole "potential to cause injury" clause is really a pointless crock of shite. The whole game has potential to cause injury. Its why we respect players who do courageous stuff onfield.

Also Day changes direction while Logue runs in a straight line the whole time.

Penalising the person running straight at the ball or contest in this situation is potentially game breaking imo.
I've addressed the half-arsed attempt to get the ball. If his intention was purely to get the ball, he would've bent down with both hands.

He DID wipe Day out. The fact that he wasn't injured wasn't because of anything Logue did. It was pure luck.

McKay will get a week. Late hit with two forearms to the head. Given that the potential to cause injury seems to be as important as any injury actually caused, I can't see the tribunal ignoring it.
I think the bolded is deliberately emotive wording.
Harry doesn't have a history of being dirty or overly aggressive. It's pretty clear that he was just trying to get him on the shoulder to put pressure on the kick. He got there late by a step or two and the initial contact was too high up on the shoulder due to Sheezel lowering his centre of gravity in the kicking action. It immediately slipped up and got him the head.
Clumsy, stupid and worthy of a fine.
Meanwhile, the Ballard incident was off the ball and a deliberate strike. It also starts at the high part of the shoulder and quickly slips up to the back of the head.
That was deemed as bad as a lower force football action in play, and reduced to a fine on appeal.
No reason why Harry's shouldn't be reduced.

I've addressed the half-arsed attempt to get the ball. If his intention was purely to get the ball, he would've bent down with both hands.

He DID wipe Day out. The fact that he wasn't injured wasn't because of anything Logue did. It was pure luck.

And...?

So you didn't read that comment...

It is possible to pick the ball up with one hand. Players do it all the time ... anyway Logue does what you suggest and what the tribunal said he should have done - bends down more - then we get another situation like the collision between Nash and Bews today. Only its probably worse for Day given how much bigger Logue is.

What you're suggesting is that players position themselves in a way that assumes they'll receive no contact as they get the ball. Instead of maintaining the physical space over the ball, which is what Logue did, while knocking it to his advantage to then take control of it. its more dangerous than two players bumping each other.

So you didn't read that comment...

It is possible to pick the ball up with one hand. Players do it all the time ... anyway Logue does what you suggest and what the tribunal said he should have done - bends down more - then we get another situation like the collision between Nash and Bews today. Only its probably worse for Day given how much bigger Logue is.

What you're suggesting is that players position themselves in a way that assumes they'll receive no contact as they get the ball. Instead of maintaining the physical space over the ball, which is what Logue did, while knocking it to his advantage to then take control of it. its more dangerous than two players bumping each other.
I read it. And...?
I've seen plenty of good contests like this where players charge at the ball from opposite directions and both manage to contest the ball without injury, suspension or free kicks conceded.
You want to use the worst example as the only other potential outcome.
There was one in particular in our game against GWS (I think) that involved Hollands and another young player that I can't remember.
Both played the ball hard, both bent down to pick it up. Both turned their bodies as they met the contest. Neither got hurt. The commentators mentioned how it was a great contest and how they both used their bodies well. It can be done and could have here.

It’s a star player for a big Melbourne club. He’ll get a fine at worst.

Smaller Victorian club he gets a week, anywhere west of the border he probably gets two.

He’ll get off. Blues 2023 are the Bulldogs of 2016.

Remind me young pup, when was the last time a player was suspended for a GF? And the time before that?

Why would the AFL need to assist the teams with the most reliable source of income?

Funnily enough this incident reminded me a bit of Rocca in thr Prelim, actually think both guys were trying to pushy with a forearm and it went wrong.

It was reassuring that the football world stood behind good guy Rocca from a big 4 Melbourne team so he could get off and play in the Granny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry McKay hit on Harry Sheezel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back