Environment Has anyone on here actually achieved anything in life

Remove this Banner Ad

I own and run a business that employs people and makes good money. I think that's a bit of an achievement, to escape the salary trap.

Also, one of my life highlights was seeing in the New Year DJing to around 3000 people at the Docklands at midnight, NYE Welcome 2002. That was pretty cool and one of my cherished memories. As is playing to a packed stage at around 1am outdoors at an Earthcore party.

A few months ago I hiked the Inca Trail to Maccu Pichu - nothing too impressive, but a lot of fun. Got married in Vegas. Also seen the Grand Canyon, the Taj Mahal, The Empire State Building, The Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, the Collosseum and the Vatican, The Iguazu falls, Christ the Redeemer, and the inside of a smoky Amsterdam coffee shop. Mountain Biked down Bolivia's Death Road.

I got a degree with honours. Consider that an achievement.

Error!!!1!!!!!1!

I own and run a business that employs people and makes good money. I think that's a bit of an achievement, to escape the salary trap.

It certainly is. Braver than I.

I got a degree with honours. Consider that an achievement.

I have one of those and I'm 4 units from a masters. Another to my list.

Also, didn't shit myself when had guns pointed at me a few times.

I always consider that a major achievement. The dry undies when the AKs come out.

Did you also play in the 2010 Collingwood premiership team??

Question to others...if climbing to the peak of one the highest mountains in the world, or swimming the English Channel, or some other adventurous travelling feat is not an achievement, what is?

DOP won a writing award. That's pretty cool, don't think anyone will knock that.

But in terms of adventure, do you need to go to the moon? Walk up Everest barefoot? Wrestle a bear in the middle of the Sahara?

Good luck to OP, will be a great achievement :thumbsu:

Haven't climbed any mountains but have ascended to middle management of a large organisation. TBH I am half joking... I have put a long time into this place and have had a number of successful projects and people I have managed have gone onto really good careers. I like to see people succeed and know that I have had a small role in making that happen.

This year I got married and bought a house.. they were pretty big deals too

What did you do in the situation?

Do you mean you weren't scared, or that you simply didn't literally crap your pants?

Why were guns being pulled, anyway? Drug deal gone wrong?

Oh I was scared. I just didn't soil myself or make a giant knob of myself and in one situation actually did something pretty brave, in retrospect.

Why? Once, armed robbery of a pub in Ireland after hours. That was the scariest. Other times, checkpoints in Middle East and lots of hand waving and AK pointing and shouting and confusion and the like until someone sorted it out.

LOL, pay that.

*Hangs off man and takes three bounce run only to kick giant up and under that is easily collected by opposition yet still somehow makes me All Australian ... another achievement*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I was scared. I just didn't soil myself or make a giant knob of myself and in one situation actually did something pretty brave, in retrospect.

Why? Once, armed robbery of a pub in Ireland after hours. That was the scariest. Other times, checkpoints in Middle East and lots of hand waving and AK pointing and shouting and confusion and the like until someone sorted it out.

Ah yep, thanks for answering.

What did you do that was brave? Since I've asked the question, it won't be needless bragging.

;)

I worked at a college as a janitor even though I felt like I was smarter than most of the people who went there. Sometimes I'd see an equation written on a blackboard like half an equation and... I'd just figure it out.

Question to others...if climbing to the peak of one the highest mountains in the world, or swimming the English Channel, or some other adventurous travelling feat is not an achievement, what is?

DOP won a writing award. That's pretty cool, don't think anyone will knock that.

But in terms of adventure, do you need to go to the moon? Walk up Everest barefoot? Wrestle a bear in the middle of the Sahara?

Good luck to OP, will be a great achievement :thumbsu:

Chances are when you do these you'll still be in small minority of the world.

Ah yep, thanks for answering.

What did you do that was brave? Since I've asked the question, it won't be needless bragging.

;)

Sort of saved my girlfriend of the time from getting shot. It wasn't Hollywood style and they may not have shot her for sure but my intervention meant they definitely wouldn't. It was more an instinct thing too.

I worked at a college as a janitor even though I felt like I was smarter than most of the people who went there. Sometimes I'd see an equation written on a blackboard like half an equation and... I'd just figure it out.

That sounds like Good Will Hunting

Achievements are in the eye of the beholder really. Depends what you consider a major event in your life, even if billions have done it before you.

I raised my daughter as a single father. Well I married someone when my daughter was 11 but my wife does not to any parenting. That's an achievement to me but probably nobody else.

I have a career in an area where people usually require tertiary qualifications but got there through natural abilities and aptitude. That's an achievement for me.

For someone that was not a fan of flying and hadn't been on a plane for about 11 years, and had no intention of going overseas, I planned and booked 15 flights, all accommodation and activities and basically navigated a group of 4 through the US, after just spontaneously deciding to go within a couple of months. Ho hum to your average traveller, but massive for a non-traveller.

I sang in front of a live band at a ski resort in NZ once, the night after I had spent all day skiing for the first time ever .... on an active volcano. Right out of my comfort zone that one and for me, a highlight of my then young life. (disclaimer: I didn't know it was an active volcano at the time).

I lose contact with my Mum, my full brother, had half brothers and sister I had never met, when I was about 9 and reconnected with them as an adult. Life changing stuff for me.

Each time you go out of your comfort zone, it is an achievement. Some are on a grand scale, some are on a more common scale for others.

I guess if you define achievement by impact on the world, then you would have to invent or discover something, or cure cancer. We can't all do these things however. If we all tried to push ourselves one step further than we would ever go before though (and I don't mean progressing from misdemeanours to felonies), we are helping to improve society around us.

Achievements are in the eye of the beholder really. Depends what you consider a major event in your life, even if billions have done it before you.

I raised my daughter as a single father. Well I married someone when my daughter was 11 but my wife does not to any parenting. That's an achievement to me but probably nobody else.

I have a career in an area where people usually require tertiary qualifications but got there through natural abilities and aptitude. That's an achievement for me.

For someone that was not a fan of flying and hadn't been on a plane for about 11 years, and had no intention of going overseas, I planned and booked 15 flights, all accommodation and activities and basically navigated a group of 4 through the US, after just spontaneously deciding to go within a couple of months. Ho hum to your average traveller, but massive for a non-traveller.

I sang in front of a live band at a ski resort in NZ once, the night after I had spent all day skiing for the first time ever .... on an active volcano. Right out of my comfort zone that one and for me, a highlight of my then young life. (disclaimer: I didn't know it was an active volcano at the time).

I lose contact with my Mum, my full brother, had half brothers and sister I had never met, when I was about 9 and reconnected with them as an adult. Life changing stuff for me.

Each time you go out of your comfort zone, it is an achievement. Some are on a grand scale, some are on a more common scale for others.

I guess if you define achievement by impact on the world, then you would have to invent or discover something, or cure cancer. We can't all do these things however. If we all tried to push ourselves one step further than we would ever go before though (and I don't mean progressing from misdemeanours to felonies), we are helping to improve society around us.

Sounds as though you could write an interesting book

congratulations on your achievements.

Sounds as though you could write an interesting book

congratulations on your achievements.

I think most people could write a book. In fact, I really appreciate observations about the mundane, from different perspectives.

We have to stop comparing ourselves to others as a measure of how good our life is. You really never know what goes on behind closed doors and how perspectives affect what makes you successful in your own mind.

I keep a roof over our heads, maintain my job, keep us fed, sometimes only just. From the perspective of some who struggle to do this, I have achieved. When I look at some of my friends and acquaintances, I'm way behind. But then, how do I know what goes on in their head, who they are comparing themselves to, whether they are happy. When you think of it that way, regardless of what you own, where you go, what you have done ... if you are happy, then you have achieved the ultimate surely?

Remove this Banner Ad

Environment Has anyone on here actually achieved anything in life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back