Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Blacks a good mate then. Going gets tough on one comment and happy to cast his mate aside... who needs enemies
JB is more worried about the fallout in the US than here. That's where he earns the majority of his income and he's also associated with the democratic party there.

I doubt he gives a **** about the joke being offensive to someone like Trump who's said many deplorable things.

JB is more worried about the fallout in the US than here. That's where he earns the majority of his income and he's also associated with the democratic party there.

I doubt he gives a **** about the joke being offensive to someone like Trump who's said many deplorable things.
Thats irrelevant lol. His best mate made a mistake, if you can even call it that when that kind if shits been said about trump 1000x, and drops him like a bag of spuds. Shit mate

Thats irrelevant lol. His best mate made a mistake, if you can even call it that when that kind if shits been said about trump 1000x, and drops him like a bag of spuds. Shit mate
I'm sure they discussed behind the scenes how to deal with the fallout, and agreed it was best for JB to distance himself.

Gass has done some groveling too even though he wouldn't regret what he said, only the consequences.

I reckon there's a lot more to this than JB throwing his friend under the bus. They have to think of the future of the band as well as their other work as well as JB's association with he democrats. The Dems are politicking on being the more moral party so they can't be associated with bad taste jokes, even if those jokes are about Trump.

Lol
Angry old man hanging in there.
2024 and ÿour sliding.
Should see if you can step up from super mod.,
Doubt it,bitter and twisted

I have no idea what this means

Weak as piss JB, you've disappointed a lot of fans who had tickets to the tour. Plenty say horrible shit about Trump and seem to get away with it, this seemed to be not much different for mine
The timing bit him in the ass. I seem to be on my own here, but I think JB and Gass handled the damage control well.

There's too many sensitive pricks out there who can't handle a joke; you gotta do what you gotta do when your career and money is on the line. Gass backpeddled too, at least publicly.

If they're good friends still, as I'm sure they are, JB distancing himself from Gass was the smart thing to do in the short term. It's all for show.

How do you think JB should have handled it better?

The timing bit him in the ass. I seem to be on my own here, but I think JB and Gass handled the damage control well.

There's too many sensitive pricks out there who can't handle a joke; you gotta do what you gotta do when your career and money is on the line. Gass backpeddled too, at least publicly.

If they're good friends still, as I'm sure they are, JB distancing himself from Gass was the smart thing to do in the short term. It's all for show.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. JB would probably have found the comment hilarious himself but both would understand the commercial ramifications in the lead up to the election. Create some public distance, support each other privately, see out the next few months, reunite and go again. It is unfortunate that a simple apology wouldn't suffice but some of the comments in this thread highlight why such a response would be insufficient.

Either apologise and continue on with the tour or just continue on with the tour

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either apologise and continue on with the tour or just continue on with the tour
you're assuming they were going to be allowed to continue with the tour

Lot of people copping the ramifications of the cancel culture that has developed after the Trump incident.

In particular, I hate to see examples of nobodies getting fired for shitty Facebook posts. They have families to support.

Gotta admit there's a little bit of "Well, we told you so" about it though too.

Lot of people copping the ramifications of the cancel culture that has developed after the Trump incident.

In particular, I hate to see examples of nobodies getting fired for shitty Facebook posts. They have families to support.

Gotta admit there's a little bit of "Well, we told you so" about it though too.
There's a lot of partisan hacks around who don't care until it affects their side of politics.

we've seen companies pull out of stuff real quick

Gass was dropped by his agent immediately

i suspect the tour wasn't going to be continuing even if the band wanted to

Imagine an AFL player being dropped by his agent because of off-field transgressions.
Tail wagging the dog.
Maybe Ricky Nixon should apply to be manager of Kyle Gass.

Imagine an AFL player being dropped by his agent because of off-field transgressions.
Tail wagging the dog.
Maybe Ricky Nixon should apply to be manager of Kyle Gass.
i mean it was on stage during a performance

be more like dropping a player for saying something on camera at the ground

but also they've said worse in songs and skits over the years than that so really pissweak from all in damage control mode

but also they've said worse in songs and skits over the years than that so really pissweak from all in damage control mode

I'm sure he will find someone else willing to help find gigs for him for cash.

( Fun fact , his agent was the producer of "Big Momma's House " ).

I don't take Rowan Deane seriously at all but I find it hillarious that he and others on that side of politics are slamming cancel culture but now he wants the Office Works young lady sacked.

What a hypocrite.

I muted Officeworks from my Twitter. Trending top three days in a row and counting and the discourse shows what a sewer that site can be with political discourse.

Out of all the fish to shoot, a girl working in a proper dead end job in retail is the one worth cancelling.

More than any of the priviledged douchebags with proper careers.

A job that pays minimum wage. I would rather work as a warehouse shitkicker than in retail, I've done both types of roles.

If I were the manager of that store I wouldn't even give her a warning. The bullying she has already copped online is more than enough. I would think about my duty of care to employees in a mental health context..

Just a firm suggestion to go to the supervisor or another team member of a customer comes in with some political propaganda to print/laminate and not try and take it into one's own hands.

I think as a general rule anything promoting politics should be getting approval from management before proceeding.

It's OK to not be comfortable with working with political propaganda that's controversial and/or you don't see eye to eye with.

I think she could have handled this issue better.

It can be argued that the customer has a valid grievance about his servi e being refused but walking into a store ready to film knowing you might upset workers says a lot about you being an idiot.

He got his $100 voucher in the end.

Last edited:

Matthew Inman of The Oatmeal has this sometimes. He has some horrible imagery in his work, but one relatively innocuous piece will catch some gronk's attention and they whip up their bot network to attack.

Never stops him.

In respect to the Officeworks incident, I wonder how discourse from progressives would change if the customer service representative was a known white supremicist.

When is antisemitism acceptable? Apparently when the left says so.

Anyway, she wasn't cancelled. I can't imagine she would have been let off as lightly if she refused to laminate a picture of a gay couple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back