Has Competitive Equalisation created a need for wild-card finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

When we go to 19 teams, a final 10 makes sense - you want to aim for around half the teams in the finals. However, I'd have the top 6 with a bye (instead of the pre-finals bye), 7v10, 8v9 wildcard games, then into a knockout final 8 - it's a much better system than the current one.

It’s not really wildcard, it’s just a final 10.

A real wildcard round would be random sides out of finals making it based on some weird arbitrary criteria. Maybe drawn out of a hat, or decided by the AFL like wildcards are decided for tennis grand slams.

At the very least, GF should be best of 3. We don’t want GFs decided on an umpiring decision, and we want to nudge things towards the best team winning. 3 removes randomness, big TV ratings etc.

20 teams, 19 rounds, best of 3 GF, you end up with a similar number of games to a 22 round current season.

Genius, we’ve solved it

I’d prefer a wild card round where 7th and 8th play the best performed teams outside the 8 in terms of best win/loss ratio against the top 8 teams. That way you’d be selecting teams that might have a chance of actually winning a final.

Or, we could get rid of stand, 6/6/6 and ruck nominations and leave the finals system as it is currently. Just saying.
I don’t like 6/6/6.
I like 3-3/3-3/3-3, so there’s equal players on both sides of the ground.
Umpired by wearing bibs with letter like “FF”, “HBF”, “CHB”, “FB”.
Solves the problem of interchanges because you have to give your bib to the player coming on.

Oh, and as for the OP, I think instead of wildcards, there should be a secondary finals series to determine % chance of getting higher draft picks, rather than just a draft order.

I’d prefer a wild card round where 7th and 8th play the best performed teams outside the 8 in terms of best win/loss ratio against the top 8 teams. That way you’d be selecting teams that might have a chance of actually winning a final.
Can see a situation where in Rd 22, a bottom 10 team deliberately loses to a rival team that they already beat earlier in the year, to help them make the 8 over a team that they lost to earlier in the year, so their win counts and it helps them make the wildcard round.

Confused Thinking GIF by Derek Tee

It’s not really wildcard, it’s just a final 10.

A real wildcard round would be random sides out of finals making it based on some weird arbitrary criteria. Maybe drawn out of a hat, or decided by the AFL like wildcards are decided for tennis grand slams.
Wild cards in AFL would be about guaranteeing spots for each state or an even amount of Vic vs Non Vic teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t like 6/6/6.
I like 3-3/3-3/3-3, so there’s equal players on both sides of the ground.
Umpired by wearing bibs with letter like “FF”, “HBF”, “CHB”, “FB”.
Solves the problem of interchanges because you have to give your bib to the player coming on.

Oh, and as for the OP, I think instead of wildcards, there should be a secondary finals series to determine % chance of getting higher draft picks, rather than just a draft order.
The funny thing is, even as late as last night the pies surged and a commentator goes “oooh, and now it’s 6/6/6….”
Guess what, we have automatically clogged a 50m space with 12 blokes. It hasn’t fixed congestion at all. And scoring has decreased with these rules no one asked for. It’s nuts.

The whole point of a wildcard round is to recognise that sometimes you get stronger conferences/divisions than others so you keep a couple of spots open for teams who have a good record but didn't win their conference/division.

The AFL doesn't have conferences or divisions so it's just a final 10 which is dumb. For the sake of one extra finals game you're watering down the whole season.

The whole point of a wildcard round is to recognise that sometimes you get stronger conferences/divisions than others so you keep a couple of spots open for teams who have a good record but didn't win their conference/division.

The AFL doesn't have conferences or divisions so it's just a final 10 which is dumb. For the sake of one extra finals game you're watering down the whole season.
Shhh… wildcards for AFL is all about money.

Over the last decade we have seen effects of the AFL's Competitive Equalisation efforts tighten the ladder and make for a much more even competition. The Bulldogs famously won their 2016 flag from 7th position in 2016, a year in which only two wins separated 1st from 7th on the ladder. The Giants made a run to the Grand Final after also finishing 7th three years later in 2019. More and more the gulf is shrinking between the good enough and the not quite there yet, with factors like fixturing, double-ups and tough starts having a massive effect on final ladder positions.

With the addition of Tasmania and a probable 20th team in the next ~10 years, we will see 12 teams miss finals every year. Many of them will hold a positive win/loss record, even now 12 wins and 10 losses is not enough to secure a spot in the finals. In 2018 four seperate clubs missed finals with a 12/10 win loss record.

2024 is shaping up to be another tight year on the ladder, possibly more so than ever before. Right now nearing the pointy end of the season we have only 6 points, or a game and a half, separating 3rd and 13th spots on the ladder. Hawthorn and the Bulldogs, two of the form teams of the competition sit in 13th and 9th spot respectively, both with a positive win/loss record.

We are going to see some good teams miss out on finals. Teams that could at the very least challenge those above them. With the pre-finals bye resulting in top 4 teams being twice as likely to drop out in straight sets, and the increased probability of lower finishing teams making preliminary finals and the Grand Final, it is no longer a case in which the lower half of the 8 is simply making up the numbers.

Is it time for the AFL to implement a Wild Card finals round to take place in what is now the pre-finals bye week, with matches between 7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th to decide who faces 5th and 6th in the Elimination Finals?
Not sure.

But I am sure that people that express opinions and frame them as questions are flogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back