Has Hawthorn taken the mantle of big 4 and kicked out Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Like he said....

You Victorians are kidding yourselves, your minnows in Comparison to WCE and Adelaide.

Mate do you think the T.V rights would be high if there was no Vic teams?

Vic is the comp the rest are just filling in for a few extra bucks.You need us more then we need you, togehter it works well and their is plenty to go round.

When West Coast, Freo, Adelaide or Brisbane (even Port) manage to get more than 70,000 at a home and away game at the G then they can claim they are one of the BIG four clubs.

Unlike these interstate teams that have handouts from the AFL and monopolies in their own state, the BIG 4 clubs of the AFL are all Melbourne based teams that draw crowds both home and away.

Sure the Eagles and Lions may sell out their home games, but how well do they go when they travel? Ordinary cause they don't have supporters interstate.

Everywhere I have travelled around Australia to watch footy, both Collingwood and Essendon always have their fare share of support at interstate games.

The profit and funds that some of these interstate clubs speak of would be non existent if they had to compete with 7 other clubs in the one state.

Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond are the big four. Hawthorn's recent success has challenged Richmond's status, but that is only because the Hawks are winning. Why I respect Richmond is because they have done nothing for 25 years, yet their supporters still turn up and buy their memberships.

Well said.

I'm pretty sure that if the Tigers were 2nd/3rd on the ladder and clear premiership contenders, there would be a lot lot more than 58,000 people turn up for a Friday night between ourselves and Collingwood.

I'd like to suggest to you all that the "Big 4" is the biggest load of old tosh perpetuated on this site.
I'd like to agree with the tosh factor..
Anyway if there is anything its a big 3. Richmond dont come near the other 3. They are medium along with Cats Hawks and maybe Saints when they are up and running.

When West Coast, Freo, Adelaide or Brisbane (even Port) manage to get more than 70,000 at a home and away game at the G then they can claim they are one of the BIG four clubs.

Unlike these interstate teams that have handouts from the AFL and monopolies in their own state, the BIG 4 clubs of the AFL are all Melbourne based teams that draw crowds both home and away.

Sure the Eagles and Lions may sell out their home games, but how well do they go when they travel? Ordinary cause they don't have supporters interstate.

Everywhere I have travelled around Australia to watch footy, both Collingwood and Essendon always have their fare share of support at interstate games.

The profit and funds that some of these interstate clubs speak of would be non existent if they had to compete with 7 other clubs in the one state.

Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond are the big four. Hawthorn's recent success has challenged Richmond's status, but that is only because the Hawks are winning. Why I respect Richmond is because they have done nothing for 25 years, yet their supporters still turn up and buy their memberships.

LOL . . . they do not, and will not. Why bother making such a dumb point?

West Coast and Adelaide have more money and more members.

Don't throw that "70k at the 'G" crap at everyone because it is bullsh!t that makes no sense whatsoever. When the Eagles play the Crows in a 100,000 seat stadium in a home state they share, then compare the crowds.

More money and more members. Always.

Their membership figures are crap!!

More likely after last night they have taken Collingwood's mantle. The Pies are on the slipslide whereas Richmond, Carlton and Essendon are each back on the rise again. Bulldogs are playing good footy but always seem to struggle financially.

Eddie and Mick are due for a spell in the long paddock.

This is about Attendances and off-field Success and Collingwood are a long way ahead! Carlton and Essendon Might get close but Richmond are a long way off Collingwood.

In terms of the AFL the most powerful Clubs would be in order:-

1. West Coast
  2. Adelaide
  3. Collingwood
  4. Essendon
  5. Carlton
  6. Fremantle
  7. Hawthorn
  8. Geelong
  9. Richmond
  10. Sydney
  11. Brisbane
  12. St.kilda
  13. Port Adelaide
  14. Western Bulldogs
  15. Melbourne
  16. North Melbourne

Geez.6yrs of stability. All gone after one person getting the chop.Yep we are a basket case.
You may have missed at the news of the redevelopment of Punt Road oval.Hardly falling:rolleyes:

richmond are a basket case. some of the worst drafting I have seen, bringing in 32yos like mark graham when they were rebuilding, drafting midfielders over key position and signing a coach up for 5 years? what a joke. no such thing as big four nowdays as salaray cap and interstate teams have changed that.

If the 'big 4' was relevant hawthorn would not be in it nor would richmond. who cares if you have all the money in the world it is not premier league its afl. whats all this off field success doing for collingwood? nothing. end of rant this has been done to death

richmond are a basket case. some of the worst drafting I have seen, bringing in 32yos like mark graham when they were rebuilding, drafting midfielders over key position and signing a coach up for 5 years? what a joke. no such thing as big four nowdays as salaray cap and interstate teams have changed that.

If the 'big 4' was relevant hawthorn would not be in it nor would richmond. who cares if you have all the money in the world it is not premier league its afl. whats all this off field success doing for collingwood? nothing. end of rant this has been done to death
What's your real username?:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that if the Tigers were 2nd/3rd on the ladder and clear premiership contenders, there would be a lot lot more than 58,000 people turn up for a Friday night between ourselves and Collingwood.

Really?

Even when the forecast is for hail, rain with 8 degree temperatures?

FWIW, OUR home game against Collingwood drew 76,048 in round 7 (6000 more then the corresponding Richmond-Collingwood fixture in ‘Rivalry Round’)

If Richmond were 2nd or 3rd would they draw 86,000 to a home game against Geelong?

No way, Richmond are still 4th out of the big 4. Geelong would be 5th easily and the Hawks 6th. Yeh Hawthorn have profits and good numbers at our games, but I still have the tigers a fair way ahead of us.

Debatable.

Both draw similar sized crowds to Melbourne based games and are relatively even in supporter numbers according to the methods of calculations, the Hawks have more members (admittedly Geelong don’t really have a ground big enough to have a 40,000 membership) so you could probably make an argument for and against for either side, probably just favouring the Hawks IMO.

The one big advantage the Hawks have is that on the back of their success in the 70s and 80s they have really only tipped into the iceberg of potential long term support, while Geelong have a large provincial city and a monopoly over Western Victoria to draw large numbers of support from.

Geelong have really done a great job positioning themselves outside the Melbourne marketplace, free free from the saturated Melbourne marketplace, but still with a strong presense in the market.

Hawthorn haven't won a flag recently and there is a school of thought they are yet to peak

This is about Attendances and off-field Success and Collingwood are a long way ahead! Carlton and Essendon Might get close but Richmond are a long way off Collingwood.

In terms of the AFL the most powerful Clubs would be in order:-

1. West Coast
  2. Adelaide
  3. Collingwood
  4. Essendon
  5. Carlton
  6. Fremantle
  7. Richmond
  8. Hawthorn
  9. Geelong
  10. Sydney
  11. Brisbane
  12. St.kilda
  13. Port Adelaide
  14. Western Bulldogs
  15. Melbourne
  16. North Melbourne

Edited for accuracy

Richmond are still a very, very big club (still bigger then Hawthorn and Geelong) it’s just that their fans over state their importance against the rest of the competition.

In reality there probably isn’t a ‘big 4’ in today’s football, sure they have the history, rivalries and passion but if your looking at it rationally there is a huge gap between the top Victorian clubs (Collingwood, Essendon maybe Carlton) the top Interstate clubs (West Coast, Fremantle and Adelaide) and the rest of the competition.

Nice story, but the facts don't support it.

By 'facts' I assume you mean the home attendance figures (compared to the Hawks and Cats who play games at smaller venues)

Because the membership, TV ratings and ‘supporter’ numbers – from the various survey’s support it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice story, but the facts don't support it.
If there are actually any facts to support it I would suggest that the gap between 3 and 4 is far bigger than the gap b/w 4 and the next 2 or 3.

One fact you can look at right now though is memberships.
Tiges have just broken their record and are still miles behind.
Hawks and Cats have had some crap years during the Tigers very long period of crapness and still had better m'ship figures.

It was a Sunday arvo.
Maybe you should get your facts right before you post. Goose.

It’s very rare for the game second time round to draw a comparable crowd to the first game.

Look at the Essendon-Collingwood games; they always draw a massive crowd to ANZAC Day – partly due to the build up surrounding the game, but regularly they only draw 55-65,000 in the return game. Obviously both clubs are head and shoulders above the rest of the Victorian clubs, but often they are scheduled to play late in the season on the Friday Night (to maximise ratings) and chances are the conditions are poor and the crowd is low (at least by both clubs standards)

Same with Richmond-Collingwood when they used to play the mandatory 2 games in a season, it’s the reason why clubs often split the gates if they return games in a season.

The first game this season drew 76,000 on a Saturday Afternoon in early May, which is quite tidy really.

Tend to agree. This 'top four' obsession is a bit mystifying. FWIW, I think Richmond if they could get their act together onfield would still be the bigger club.

What else are we going to talk about on a dull Monday at work between games ;)

Hawthorn: Massive crowds, big profits, on field success

Richmond: Coaching and football department problems, Directors mouthing off when they shouldn't. Director sacked. Facilities one of the bottom 4, Finances, just hanging in there, sponsorship lost, and no on field success since the early 1980's.

Maybe the Hawks are now one of the big four and Richmond a middle of the road club and falling?

Yeah, but during all their years of utter crapulence (and, my god, hasn't there been a lot of them), they still turn up, and they still buy memberships (even if they have Velcro down the middle).

I seem to remember that you blokes stopped turning up for a while when you were no good??

Collingwoods home game....we pulled in over 76k against them this year at our home game :thumbsu:
You guys pulled in 70k in round 3 on a Sat arvo.

Maybe you should get your facts right before you post :eek:

Hawthorn has ONE 60K plus attendance V Collingwood in the past 15 years and man alive do we hear about it.

Richmond, Carlton and Essendon all well into double figure in the same period.

I rest my case.

Hawthorn has ONE 60K plus attendance V Collingwood in the past 15 years and man alive do we hear about it.

Richmond, Carlton and Essendon all well into double figure in the same period.

I rest my case.

Its actually 2 70,000+ crowds in 16 years actually.

Obviously a large portion of those games were played at Waverley and recently 2 of those games (including one last year that would have drawn 70,000+) at the TD, in contrast Richmond have played Collingwood almost exclusively at the MCG.

In stark contrast Richmond had a monopoly over the season opening fixture (in years where Collingwood made the GF) and regularly have played Collingwood twice over that 15 year period.

How does Richmond crowds against Sydney, Geelong, North Melbourne, Bulldogs, Brisbane or even Melbourne compare over the last 5-6 years?

I'm genuinely curious as to where the idea that carlton are MUCH bigger than richmond comes from. In the 6 seasons 2002-2007 with both sides utter crap RFC outdrew CFC.

Richmond: 4,926,095
Carlton: 4,777,428

don't tell me about the Dome. All carlton's big gams were at he G in that period and several Richmond games at he Dome. The dome factor was minimal.

4 of the past 6
8 of the past 12 years RFC ahead.

There is NO attendance evidence putting CFC well ahead or even marginally ahead of richmond and indeed little or none putting Essendon way ahead of Carlton when both in similar form over a long period as in the 9 years up to 2001 in which Essendon away drew merely 2,500 a game more than carlton.

Richmond are as big as Carlton.

It is ONE Hawkk. Your second biggest was 58,000 and you played 15 times at the G. in the past 15 years.

15 times and 14 sub 60,000 attendances but never mind you broke it once so we have to hear about it interminably.

Owned on this one hawkky.

All I know is currently Hawthorn make much more money than Richmond and are light years ahead in terms of on-field performance. In terms of amount of supporters, I dont really give a shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Hawthorn taken the mantle of big 4 and kicked out Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back