Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

That flipping stupid tackle probably cost Hinkley and Port's season.

Still don't get that... I be a flipping livid if I was a coach, team mate, supporter.

Unfortunately for port fans, port have a long tradition of beating the reigning premiers. Have beaten all of them nearly for the last 10 years.

Will most likely win and then Kenny is safe for another 15 or so rounds
Beat Melbourne and surely a new contract is on the cards ;)

That f*n stupid tackle probably cost Hinkley and Port's season.

Still don't get that... I be a f*n livid if I was a coach, team mate, supporter.
It’s bitter sweet, port lose but a big step in getting Hinkley out, something port fans have wanted since the end of 2016.. port fans have known this man would never achieve anything. The quicker he goes the better, if that means we have to sacrifice 1 year so be it

It’s bitter sweet, port lose but a big step in getting Hinkley out, something port fans have wanted since the end of 2016.. port fans have known this man would never achieve anything. The quicker he goes the better, if that means we have to sacrifice 1 year so be it

yeah I know what you mean...

But still that tackle is baffling with 10 seconds left..

Maybe early in the game when you are trying to apply some physicality or something...but then and there when you just need a stoppage... one of the dumbest things I have seen. What chance has Ken got with that stupidity.

Still don't get that... I be a f*n livid if I was a coach, team mate, supporter.
Our season was over after last week. Teams that lose at home to Hawthorn by 70 points aren't making finals.

If that tackle gets Hinkley sacked even a day earlier, then it was for the best.

No excuses with injuries. He has had 10 years to develop a system that should have cover those injured players. The players are unfit and unable to run out games. We have been over run in the last quarter in all matches including preseason.
I feel that 2020 was your best chance at making a GF and winning. Losing by 5 points to Richmond where you played incredibly well. You’d probably have beaten Geelong but who knows. Last years PF was just gobsmacking. The way the WB ran through you was embarrassing and probably highlighted the issues you haven’t remedied.

You’ve got so much young talent their but you need a new approach ASAP. Sack Ken and get someone in to try and get back up into contention whilst you can.

Last year's preliminary final loss against the Western Bulldogs would still be haunting Port Adelaide.

True, Port have lost other preliminary finals in 2014 and in 2020, but Port were gallant in defeat and were stiff to lose in thrillers against eventual premiers Hawthorn and Richmond respectively. And when reviewing the 2021 PF weekend, Melbourne's 83-point demolition of Geelong was a bigger margin than Port's loss to the Bulldogs. However, these matches contained three premiership contenders from four contestants. The aging Geelong with its predictable game plan that failed to work under finals pressure time and time again was never going to get past the resurgent Demons, but both Port and the Bulldogs were excellent sides capable and deserving of a GF berth.

Most anticipated a tight contest between the Dogs and Power, and if the Dogs had gotten home narrowly in a tight contest or if the Bulldogs had ran away with the match late in the game after an even contest early (much like Melbourne would eventually do in the Grand Final) it would have been disappointing obviously, but not demoralizing. Port would not have lost any fans, and the players would have positives to build on for 2022. But more than six months on, I still can't fathom how Port failed to get into the contest against the Dogs at any stage before going under meekly by 71-points. It was actually eerie to watch, completely inexplicable and just how to turn around such a poor loss with such high stakes is hard to work out.
It was one of the softest efforts I’ve ever seen. It was clear literally a minute into the game that port had not turned up. And how do you not turn up for a home prelim? They were just not going in for the footy. In the first minute of a home prelim!! Gotta be on the coach.

I suffered through the brad Scott years but at least when we made prelims you felt he’d done ok with sides that were solid but not stacked with a grade talent. Port have a list that could be winning flags but that prelim final loss is definitive for the Hinkley era: you don’t come back from efforts like that. They’re broken now with him and Koch, total clean out needed to compete again.

Can't believe how easy he has got off the hook and people are just forgetting that prelim performance.

That was the really the end of him for me

Port had absolutely everything going for them in that game and didn't even turn up.

Should have been a coach killer and coach had to wear the blame for that one .

The zip and 3 start is now 4 terrible losses in a row .

Last edited:
I feel that 2020 was your best chance at making a GF and winning. Losing by 5 points to Richmond where you played incredibly well. You’d probably have beaten Geelong but who knows. Last years PF was just gobsmacking. The way the WB ran through you was embarrassing and probably highlighted the issues you haven’t remedied.

You’ve got so much young talent their but you need a new approach ASAP. Sack Ken and get someone in to try and get back up into contention whilst you can.
The problem with our talent is that they seem to get corrupted by the coaching of Ken. The exuberance and natural talent that Rozie, Dursma & Butters have shown in their first year is effectively gone. Now you seen them play a game style that doesn't suit their attributes. It even comes across with new traded players with good skills now come to our club that can't football anymore. Put these same players in the Demon's side at the moment and they would flourish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with our talent is that they seem to get corrupted by the coaching of Ken. The exuberance and natural talent that Rozie, Dursma & Butters have shown in their first year is effectively gone. Now you seen them play a game style that doesn't suit their attributes. It even comes across with new traded players with good skills now come to our club that can't football anymore. Put these same players in the Demon's side at the moment and they would flourish.
Look at how Voss has reinvented Carlton. Was Ken just ignoring him the whole time you think?

Why? It's the 14 misses (13.14.92) that lost that game. Our scoring accuracy, our disposal effectiveness is why we are 0-3 right now.

How is this all Ken's fault?

Serious question.

Boak kicks that goal and this thread doesn't get bumped.

Not that it is Boak's fault, I'm just pointing out that the coach can only do so much.
Capitulation in the PF last year was huge. How Port can be up for quite a while and not make a GF while Melbourne can explode one year and go all the way would be very frustrating for Power fans. As good as Richmond were in 2020, Port then Geelong soiled themselves in big moments. Can’t help but feel that Geelong and Port were better sides in 2020.

Look at how Voss has reinvented Carlton. Was Ken just ignoring him the whole time you think?
Voss sees the need to have fresh and exciting energy into the playing group to get them to play above themselves. Our players no longer listen to Hinkley and as a result his position as coach in untenable.

Capitulation in the PF last year was huge. How Port can be up for quite a while and not make a GF while Melbourne can explode one year and go all the way would be very frustrating for Power fans. As good as Richmond were in 2020, Port then Geelong soiled themselves in big moments. Can’t help but feel that Geelong and Port were better sides in 2020.
Richmond were easily a better side than Geelong in 2020, belted them twice

This may be the loss Port needed if they want to change direction.

Not many clubs make finals from 0-3 starts. Would be less than 10%.

No finals would mean Kenny's last season.

The question is whether Kochie should go with him to give Port a fresh start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back