Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

People quickly forget where Port were at on/off field as a club when Ken first arrived...

No they farkin don't. That was a decade ago.

A large part of the resurgence was the move to Adelaide oval which ken had **** ALL to do with.

He gets some credit for 2013 and 2014, sure. But we had Boak and Gray in their primes, Wingard exploding on the scene with 2x AAs, Wines, etc plus Darren Burgess making us fitter than everyone else.

That was 8 years ago. Since then he's won 2 finals, had 5 shithouse years, lost a home prelim embarrassingly, and is now stone motherless last on the ladder.

ken has also had access to assistants like Phil Walsh, Alan Richardson, Voss, etc. He's delivered nothing.

STOP THIS NARRATIVE THAT HES SOME SORT OF MESSIAH. HES A CLUELESS BUMPKIN THAT RODE SOME GOOD LUCK AND A WAVE OF MOMENTUM.

This may be the loss Port needed if they want to change direction.

Not many clubs make finals from 0-3 starts. Would be less than 10%.

No finals would mean Kenny's last season.

The question is whether Kochie should go with him to give Port a fresh start.
Koch has to go with him, after Ken goes Koch's position is completely untenable.
A week ago we called him out "winingest coach ever' and ridiculed those questioning Ken's position as coach.

Last edited:
I actually think Port’s best shot at a flag was in 2014.

That team had so many guns coming into their prime. Peak Gray, Wingard, Boak.

Hinkley is a footy purist and has had them playing (generally) good footy for a decade, but his sides have lacked killer instinct and haven’t looked threatening in crunch finals.

Don’t think it’s just on him by any means, but it’s probably time for a change. The Pair have a decent list, can clearly identify talent via the draft and through targeted trades they just need some new ideas. Still way too flaky.
Again..... This has Freo if 2015-16 written all over it.

Freo lost a home preliminary final in 2015 vs the hawks. Freo then goes 0-10 with a mentally fatigued and injury riddled side.

Port lost a home preliminary final last season and are 0-3. Got demons at adelaide oval and blues in Victoria next and on current form, very likely to go 0-5.

Outside chance of going 0-10.

Also looking at Ports current playing squad. Its got a few key blokes injured. Its also an ageing squad too.

Why? It's the 14 misses (13.14.92) that lost that game. Our scoring accuracy, our disposal effectiveness is why we are 0-3 right now.

yeah for sure...

but 10 seconds on the clock up by two points (despite everything else that has happened) and take out a player who doesn't have the ball to give them a shot on goal to win the game... where's the game awareness/smarts.. why would you do that...why?? I could understand if he had the ball and got him high or something...

P
I think things are at the point now where if you offered Port supporters to options

A) We miraculously turn around 0-3 to win a famous flag

OR

B) Ken Hinkley is unceremoniously sacked right now

Many would lean toward B, including myself

Then you've lost sight of what this whole caper is about. You simply don't give up flags.

Teams go all in to win the flag and if they only win one then it's still been worth it.

If option A was turning it around to make finals then I could understand but if your hatred for a man outweighs your thirst for a flag then your problems are within yourself.

I think things are at the point now where if you offered Port supporters to options

OR

Absolutely not. Premierships trump all.

However A is about as likely to happen as Hinkley curing cancer, so given the realistic options available to us I'm happy for the unceremonious sacking right now to take place.

Then you've lost sight of what this whole caper is about. You simply don't give up flags.
Teams go all in to win the flag and if they only win one then it's still been worth it.

If option A was turning it around to make finals then I could understand but if your hatred for a man outweighs your thirst for a flag then your problems are within yourself.
100% correct.

I think some have taken my comment a little too literally, understandably. I was just illustrating how much we want Hinkley gone. I’m perfectly aware that flags are the goal. The fact that they aren’t his is the main reason he has to go.

Kane Cornes now back defending Hinkley, reckons we need strong leadership and that calls to sack him are ridiculous.
Kane has no credibility when it comes to his former coach. He calls out that young magpie player for celebrating a win last week, but doesnt call out Hinkley for laughing before Dawson kicked his winning goal this week.

Kane Cornes now back defending Hinkley, reckons we need strong leadership and that calls to sack him are ridiculous.
Kane has no credibility when it comes to his former coach. He calls out that young magpie player for celebrating a win last week, but doesnt call out Hinkley for laughing before Dawson kicked his winning goal this week.
Kane is compromised. He loves Ken and his brother is a coach at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 spots higher on the ladder than we are now?

Ken arrived at Port when the club was dead broke, uncompetitive on the field, struggling to find a major sponsor, having to put tarps over seats at their home games at Football Park and Dean Bailey was having to coach via skype.

Ken arrived at Port at the same time Malthouse arrived at Carlton and during Ken's tenure, Carlton have gone through four different coaches. Think about that.

Ken arrived at Port when the club was dead broke, uncompetitive on the field, struggling to find a major sponsor, having to put tarps over seats at their home games at Football Park and Dean Bailey was having to coach via skype.
All issues that were resolved by off field staff and have absolutely nothing to do with the head coach. Except for the 'uncompetitive on field bit', and again, we were more competitive in 2012 (25% winning percentage and 14th) than we have been this year (0% winning percentage and 17th).
Ken arrived at Port at the same time Malthouse arrived at Carlton and during Ken's tenure, Carlton have gone through four different coaches. Think about that.
Yes, this is just one of many examples of why Hinkley has been at the club for way too long. I genuinely have no idea what point you think you're making.

Last edited:

OR

I suspect that the point you are trying to make, though not overly well, is that premierships give a coach currency. Currency that guys like Scott, Longmire, Goodwin and Simpson have. Am I right?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was Dean (Dani) Ladley.

All this comment does is show how filtered and insular is the football media in Victoria.
Ken has had nothing to do with the material changes made to the club.

You can start here: Port Adelaide signs historic licence transfer agreement

Hawthorn kicked something ridiculous like 12 goals straight, their accuracy is what won them the match.

It happens. Not Ken's fault.

Adelaide won with a kick after the siren from a dubious free.

Not Ken's fault.

A 0-3 start is obviously not a good thing but there's no need to go searching for escape goats right now.
The free kick was there every day of the week. It wasn't high as the umpire called it but tackled without an possession was obvious.

I want it to get ugly. I want Ken to leave/get sacked under the most shameful circumstances ever seen in the AFL world. As he once said, you get what you deserve.

Ken's pretty much had the same career Neale Daniher had at Melbourne.

Came in with the club a completely mess. Quickly achieved some very decent success.

Bounced around the ladder for a while, then developed a good team again that had a lot of nice pieces but ultimately was probably a mixture of too old/too young/not quite tough enough to get the job done.

Daniher's fortunes also shifted based on assistant coaches, the year we had Ratten our young mids looked incredible.

My warning for Port fans is be careful what you wish for. It's often easier to see a longstanding coach who hasn't got the job as an issue than it is to find someone better.

0-4 now that will be a talking point. As much as I hate Melbourne it would be funny to see them smash Port Adelaide in a prime time Thursday night AO coming up. Would tune in for Fireman Kane thats for sure. :cool::)
The five minute fireman vehemently defending Kern.

Me thinks the fireman has a conflict of interest - Kern basically saved him from getting the arse at the end of 2012. Virtually saved his football career.

If it was any other coach in the same situation, he'd be absolutely savage on them.

It has been reported ad nauseum in the press that the players love Kern.

Maybe this is 100% crap?

The prelim loss last year; the Hawthorn loss (on no other than Russell Ebert's tribute game) & Friday nights result may tend to lead to the conclusion that Kern may have lost the players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back