Has travel/living OS changed your AFL experience/outlook?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lived oversees for half my working life so far and have only just returned. Always missed the footy and tried hard to watch any game I could find. Thank god when P2P hit the net a while back, that was a huge lifesaver.

Found watching soccer in the UK boring, the crowd was generally more entertaining than the game. Living in North America I became a fan of Ice Hockey, Baseball and especially NFL. There is a lot of fluff involved when watching any of those games live, but overtime I became use to the concept of keeping the crowd engaged, the T-shirt cannons, cheerleaders, music etc. Became a real fan of the Montreal Canadiens (watching them at the Bell Centre is a huge highlight) and the Philadelphia Eagles and still keep an eye on them, but footy will aways be number 1.

Really great thread, gives a real insight into something unlike most things on the main board. If I were living OS (Which I plan to do in the future) I would miss footy more than anything, but the feeling of coming back to see the Hawks play on Sat. afternoon after being away for a few years would not be equaled.

I have lived overseas (Japan) on and of for about 3 and a half years.

My attitude to the AFL didn't change much, my attitude to Aussie rules did. I went out of my way to teach my friends from other countries the basics of the game. I often invited my friends to come to a local park for a bit of kick to kick (I got my family to send me a ball), Aussies and everyone else.
I guess I just missed it.
In my second stint in Japan I joined the JAFL team in Osaka and did my bit to help the game out in the world. It has a real small profile (no profile really) outside of Aus, but I went to training every week and helped out and coached a lot of people, Japanese and from elsewhere. I loved every minute of it.
So, yeah I got a lot more involved in the game than I am here.

Living over seas for 5 years made me appreciate footy even more than i did before I left for OS. It hasn't made me respect any other sport more than I already did.

Interesting thread,
Ive been OS in Hong Kong for 4 years now, and my passion for AFL is as strong as ever. The Dees have been rubbish for much of that time, harrowing as it has been.
Footy gives me a connection with my true home, and as part of our unique culture, I analyse it and enjoy it more than ever.

Miss being at the games, the walk to the G amongst the throng of excited fans, eager with the anticipation for the days contest.
The roar of the crowd, the excitement of the contest, and of course screaming BAAALLL!!! The best bit is giving it your all when your team gets up, and you thrash out the team song with gusto and pride..

still scream ball at the telly though, much to my girlfriends bemusement...

I find that seeing other, more professional leagues reminds me how unprofessional, backward AFL administration is - and how unsophisticated the average supporter is.

you take MLB, the amount of knowledge the average supporter has about the game is amazing.

here, we have an admin that is a complete backbox with its finances such that NO ONE can see where the money goes, no accountability, and few people even see it as a problem.

the other problem is the game doesn't think it needs to interract with the supporter more, when european and american leagues know that is ALL there is to professional sports. a trade window? perfect, keeps you in the headlines for a month. total ownwership for a week leading up to deadline.

its all still just a bit Ma and Pa kettle for me.

fact is, its still the greatest game in world even if its held back by nincompoops.

Watch a game of chess if you like watching people think. I would suggest NFL players do a lot less thinking than AFL players because all of their plays are drilled into them and spontaneous decision making is rare.

this is so outrageous wrong its not funny, its almost as if you were trying to parody extreme degrees of wrong. :eek:

Please explain why. It seems the NFL boys aren't capable of actually playing on the pitch for more than five minutes at a time. They stop, walk off, have a conference, and then go back and play for another two minutes. Do they need to be force fed every move? How much thinking would the huge lumps who spend their whole career blocking another lump do? You are kidding! Hey big boy-you go and stand in the way of that big fatty and don't let him get passed you.

I have to disagree with you on that. The Offense and Defense change plays (after they are called by the Coach) all the time based on what the other side is doing. American Football is an extremely cerebral game.

Those blokes watch hours upon hours of film in preparation for their next game.

Perhaps American football is very cerebral for the coaches. Surely the NFL players are simply following very structured set players to suit each occasion. This is my point. In Aussie rules the game moves at high speed for long periods and players' literally have fractions of a second to make a decision ( with no input from a coach or drilled set play) which could have a huge impact on the outcome of the game of play. This could occur on countless occasions in ten minute period, let alone over a 120 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main thing which concerns me is the time the games are on. I've drawn up a spreadsheet of the fixtures, converting them to my local time and putting down what games are being streamed on what internet service. Its going to be a nightmare.

Games are on at either around 9-10pm on Fri/Sat nights when I will usually be heading out on the town; or at 3-4am which is quite possibly the worst time possible to watch sport. I'd either be getting home and ready to pass out, or attempting to wake myself from a deep slumber.

I used to watch a lot of footy the last few years, probably 5-6 full games a week with the help of Foxtel. It seems inevitable that will come down to Freo games, and then maybe 1 or 2 replays of the games of the week. Maybe watch the highlights packages of the other games.

I can't see how my interest in the game will decrease, I just won't be able to watch as much as I'd like to.

this is so outrageous wrong its not funny, its almost as if you were trying to parody extreme degrees of wrong. :eek:

The reply might have been over the top but the main point is that the last thing coaches of NFL want to see is that their players are add-libbing because that means their plan has failed .American Football is simply a different style of game to others that flow better to varying degrees .
Australian Football is great for live viewing .American Football is great for couch potatoes .

Please explain why. It seems the NFL boys aren't capable of actually playing on the pitch for more than five minutes at a time. They stop, walk off, have a conference, and then go back and play for another two minutes. Do they need to be force fed every move? How much thinking would the huge lumps who spend their whole career blocking another lump do? You are kidding! Hey big boy-you go and stand in the way of that big fatty and don't let him get passed you.

past
:)

Spent 4 years living in Asia. Has made me love the AFL even more and I enjoy every game as much as possible!
It's the only game for me.

The reply might have been over the top but the main point is that the last thing coaches of NFL want to see is that their players are add-libbing because that means their plan has failed .American Football is simply a different style of game to others that flow better to varying degrees .
Australian Football is great for live viewing .American Football is great for couch potatoes .

the NFL ad libs on virtually every play.

you call the play, and have to adjust every time. heck the biggest problem they have with quarterbacks, is some great athletes are not smart enough to play the position. requires so much thinking, analysis and adjustment on the spot.

anyone who thinks the NFL doesn't require a lot of thinking, knows so little about the game they shouldn't be commenting on ANY aspect of it.

the NFL ad libs on virtually every play.

you call the play, and have to adjust every time. heck the biggest problem they have with quarterbacks, is some great athletes are not smart enough to play the position. requires so much thinking, analysis and adjustment on the spot.

anyone who thinks the NFL doesn't require a lot of thinking, knows so little about the game they shouldn't be commenting on ANY aspect of it.

i like gridiron... but geez, you need a lot of patience to watch it sometimes

I found american football very tedious to watch live. I am not saying the sport is rubbish, like all sports it has its merits, but for me it was less interesting than any other form of football. Both types of rugby, soccer, gaelic or footy are all I think better to watch live.

What I would say is that going to any big football game (including American) of any type gives a bit of a tingle as you walk up to the game. You should alway pick a team (never be neutral at a live game) no matter what sport it is and get involved. All over the world its the same buzz (with a big bit of attitude at some soccer matches), that mix of optimism, hope and fear that real fans give off before a game. Its what keeps us coming back nd it seems to be almost the same at all top level football games over all codes.

When i was in new york i was luckily invited to the local derby i.e. yankees vs mets which was amazing and the fans really had a huge rivalry but it wasn’t segregated (like premier league for example). i never realised there was so much going on the field, i.e. pitchers warming up whilst the game is going on, fans heckling the pitcher, the music, etc., i really enjoyed the spectacle and kind of appreciated the game a bit more.

When i was in san francisco i went to an oakland vs boston baseball game which was played i guess in a more working class area, and really enjoyed that game as well. The oakland fans were fantastic and i guess i kind of follow them now, still have the foul ball from the game which an oakland fan gave to me as gift to a visiting aussie. oakland won that game, the fans were ecstatic, and boston ended up winning the world series later in the year so it was a good underdog win.

in chicago i went to the ice hockey as a relative worked for the blackhawks and they were playing their arch rivals detroit redwings (both from michigan or something like that), those guys hit hard and had a really good time watching that game so in a way follow the blackhawks although it is the only game i have been to.

I follow Oakland and blackhawks on the internet, and if a game is on fox sports I might watch it. Seeing US sports at the ground, soaking up the atmosphere and meeting really cool fans (so similar in passion for their team as we have here) has given me greater appreciation of ‘foreign’ sports that’s for sure.

still love the afl and the saints. If the saints are playing, it has my attention for 2-4 hours (lead up, the match and after game analysis) and would read about them during the week online.

Pack your boots and mouthguard when you travel!

When you're overseas and the opportunity presents itself, make contact with the local footy club (if there is one) and join in a training session or even play in a game or umpire. Especially in non-English language countries where Aussies who can help them learn the game are few.

Footy is growing at a grass roots level worldwide and often a passionate Aussie can do much to get the locals into the game.

My work has taken me to different places and I've really enjoyed tapping into a local network and meeting locals simply through bringing the boots and getting involved.

I have contact with many clubs in Europe, so PM me if you are keen for club contact details.

Yes you do.

American Football (College and Pro) is the ultimate TV sport as there are many times per game where the TV station can go to a commercial or 5 during the game.

The NRL is made for TV as well but 65,000-90,000 people, depending on Stadium capacity, actually go to an NFL game every Sunday.

I ask because for me it has.

Now days I dont like AFL less, but I find it doesnt rule my life as much. I am also a lot less likely to make a comment like "best game in the world" as there are SO MANY quality sports and sporting leagues, many of which I enjoy - and even if I dont, I understand why other people love them.

Agree with most of this. Been in Japan about 9 years.

I find it hard to keep up with and watch anywhere near the amount of footy I used to in Oz, as well as not being able to go to games (used to go every fortnight). Hence I'm far less informed about individual players and teams, and can't contribute on here as much as I would like.

Happy living here atm, but it sucks to be missing a lot of footy.

nah, you need a lot of knowledge to follow it sometimes.

its a bit like cricket or aussie rules, you need to bring a high level of background understanding with you to be able to follow it properly.

which doesn't make it easy for people not raised on the stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has travel/living OS changed your AFL experience/outlook?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back