Have Freo made a horrible mistake in their plans to relocate their HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

There isn't the room in Freo to build the sort of training base we want. The redevelopment for Freo Oval was still short of what other clubs have today in terms of facilities. You do these sorts of moves to get ahead of the rest, not to play catch-up and still be a decade behind by the time it's complete.

To be fair AB, the room was there to accommodate Freo. It was more the perception that developing a greenfield site was far more beneficial to the club than dealing with what was considered to be an obstinate council which would require heritage considerations to be addressed as a priority.

Nobody cares where clubs are based now. Except maybe the top 0.05 % of ultra fans who go to watch training and stuff (is that even allowed anymore?)

I lived in Perth for years and I don't even know where the Eagles are based

To be fair AB, the room was there to accommodate Freo. It was more the perception that developing a greenfield site was far more beneficial to the club than dealing with what was considered to be an obstinate council which would require heritage considerations to be addressed as a priority.

Yeah I know, that too. But at Cockburn there's room for two ovals, one with an athletics track, plus the aquatic centre with full-size Olympic pool plus all the other hydrotherapy pools and stuff. We get more stuff at Cockburn.

i live in the area, make the drive every day too and from work. if you can get to the CBD from yangebup in 20 mins in peak hour traffic, then you're not driving by car. 45 mins is the best you'll ever do.

without traffic 30 mins.

You must be driving a wheelie bin... Seriously, I also used to live in the area and it never took more than 30 minutes to the city. Also, it's like 22-25 minutes on the train. It's 21.9km according to Google. To do the trip in one hour and fifteen minutes you'd be averaging about 16kmph. I know traffic is bad but...

Nobody cares where clubs are based now. Except maybe the top 0.05 % of ultra fans who go to watch training and stuff (is that even allowed anymore?)

I lived in Perth for years and I don't even know where the Eagles are based

I don't know. North being based at Arden Street is very important for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its a growing suburb 45 mins from the CBD. it has 1 medium shopping center with a local pub, 1 train station and growing housing estates. in traffic it will take you 1hr 15 mins to get there. the area mainly known for the industrial area at the back of it, the largest in WA. it has an oil refinery, chemical factories, fertiliser factories, thermal cement, concrete, power stations etc. there really isnt anything nice near it. its basically a cheap southern suburb. pav and other well off players generally live north of the river so their commute is going to be fun!!!

As a St Kilda fan, I'm not sure what your purpose of this thread is because you seem to be very clearly biased against this move... additionally, as someone who also lives in this general area, I call bullshit on 1hr 15mins... wtf?
I would do a Freo-Rockingham trip in 35mins easily and that is about twice the distance (though a bit less traffic). Given that it is just off the freeway, it wouldnt take much more than about 20-25mins from the CBD in off-peak... about double that for traffic.

Also - whether you like it or not - a hell of a lot of resources are going into the Cockburn area, and I have heard it is one of the fastest growing localities in all of Australia (which wouldn't suprise me)... and if the local council rearrangements happen, may end up taking much of the freo area anyway.

Additionally - the Freo council itself has done very little, over a long period of time, to make itself attractive to investment... and I see no problem with the club going to an area that is putting a lot of money into it's future.

To be serious for a moment. I have been vocal in my disagreement with this decision on our own board, and made no friends while I was at it. I feel it will have long term negative ramifications for the club's culture.

If anybody is actually serious about discussing it like adults without snickering about what they'd do with the antiseptic cream, I'm game. The Hawthorn experience, particularly, would be interesting to hear from a Hawks supporter.
I know when the AFL sold Waverley Park a lot of Hawk supporters were not happy, as it was our home ground, along with St Kilda
The area was at the time the fastest growing residential area of Melbourne, (not sure if this is still the case), and a lot of people in the area could access Waverley Park easily to see AFL footy, so therefore saw Hawks games or Saints games regularly

A lot of new Hawk members came from this area

Hawthorn turning Waverley Park into its training facility kept it in close contact to the residents of the area, as well as the supporters it already had

2 fantastic decisions made by Hawthorn, but ironically both overlooked by St. Kilda, were to buy Waverley Park and re-locate its training base there, and to forge a strong relationship with Launceston in Tassie!

It's no co-incidence that we have increased our membership numbers every year to now be over 60,000 strong!

It's all about the facilities, if they are top notch it's a great move by the Dockers. And with all due respect to the OP, I live in the Cockburn area it seems to me you have described Kwinana?

If the tree hugging shark rooting greenies pissed off from the fremantle council they would have redovelped south freo oval a long time ago.
Nothing like a bit of red and green tape to destroy a prime spot.

In all seriousness (and I will take my blinkers off) how awesome would it be for Freo to actually have a proper 40-60k ground to play on in the heart of Freo? Would make that place magic on gameday.

It's the training ground. Nobody cares. They watch them play in Subiaco. St Kilda's move was an issue because the staff don't like the commute distance.

I don't know. North being based at Arden Street is very important for us.
Because nobody's going to offer you a deal to move anywhere and you enjoy the victim mentality.

In all seriousness (and I will take my blinkers off) how awesome would it be for Freo to actually have a proper 40-60k ground to play on in the heart of Freo? Would make that place magic on gameday.

Yeah that would be truly awesome. I guess the boat has sailed on that idea for the next 100 years or so though :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Freo made a horrible mistake in their plans to relocate their HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back