Have Geelong and Richmond destroyed the NSW clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I know the grand final losses were only recently but it's clear GWS haven't recovered from the 2019 grand final loss to Richmond and Sydney haven't recovered from the 2022 grand final loss to Geelong. In my opinion it's fair to say Geelong and Richmond destroyed the NSW clubs. Would you agree or disagree?

Also, Geelong destroyed Port in the 07 Gf, while Richmond did the same to the Crows in the 17 Gf. So have they also destroyed the SA clubs?

Plus players from both went on a massive bender through Fortitude Valley the night of the 2020 Gf. So have they also destroyed the Queensland (night) clubs?

They’ve only got a couple of states to go and their national rampage will be complete!

Also, Geelong destroyed Port in the 07 Gf, while Richmond did the same to the Crows in the 17 Gf. So have they also destroyed the SA clubs?

Plus players from both went on a massive bender through Fortitude Valley the night of the 2020 Gf. So have they also destroyed the Queensland (night) clubs?

They’ve only got a couple of states to go and their national rampage will be complete!
Port's destruction was a two-phase appraoch.

First was the '07 GF. Second was not employing Ken Hinkley, allowing him to go off and coach Port, where he has ensued they have existed in a sustained state of mediocrity for a decade.

Sydney’s gf record is pretty poor recently. Longmire fluffed it against hawks and dogs as well.

Adelaide kinda destroyed themselves a bit. They seem pretty good at that.
Based on preceding form, 2014 was the one they fluffed. 2016 was a close game in which Sydney got reamed by the umps. 2022 was a good coaching effort to get them to the GF, but most could tell they weren't on Geelong's level based on form going in. You could also say that he snatched one from the Hawks in 2012, so in totality, while one out of four isn't the greatest return, when you consider the context of those games it's about right. No one was beating the Bulldogs in 2016 with how they were umpired.

And getting into that many GFs isn't exactly easy. Scott beat him but for a long time Geelong were like a step below Sydney in that we kept making top 4 and going deep in finals but never got the GF. And talk to Port or Brisbane fans about how hard it is to even get the chance to win a GF. So many missed chances for them too. Are you a worse coach for getting your side into the GF multiple times and failing?

But he's been at the helm for a long time. It's fair to ask the question whether a breath of fresh air could do some good for them.

Based on preceding form, 2014 was the one they fluffed. 2016 was a close game in which Sydney got reamed by the umps. 2022 was a good coaching effort to get them to the GF, but most could tell they weren't on Geelong's level based on form going in. You could also say that he snatched one from the Hawks in 2012, so in totality, while one out of four isn't the greatest return, when you consider the context of those games it's about right. No one was beating the Bulldogs in 2016 with how they were umpired.

And getting into that many GFs isn't exactly easy. Scott beat him but for a long time Geelong were like a step below Sydney in that we kept making top 4 and going deep in finals but never got the GF. And talk to Port or Brisbane fans about how hard it is to even get the chance to win a GF. So many missed chances for them too. Are you a worse coach for getting your side into the GF multiple times and failing?

But he's been at the helm for a long time. It's fair to ask the question whether a breath of fresh air could do some good for them.
Fair points.

I agree, no one was on Geelong’s level last year. No one was even close.

I know the grand final losses were only recently but it's clear GWS haven't recovered from the 2019 grand final loss to Richmond and Sydney haven't recovered from the 2022 grand final loss to Geelong. In my opinion it's fair to say Geelong and Richmond destroyed the NSW clubs. Would you agree or disagree?
So the Lions destroyed Essendon?

2007? That year never happened

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We destroyed the NSW clubs in the 2016 finals series. No coincidence they've both been flogged in the games that matter since then.

Thinks to self 'please thread, dont be started by a richmond supporter'

What does that say about the other 16 clubs that did not make it to the GF, aka the moth ball clubs ???? Cot case ?

Has your mob ever made it to the GF in your living memory ?

Disagree. What has destroyed GWS is free agency. The large contracts offered to players to get them for free ( by north for Kelly, Hawthorn for cognilio) has contributed to GWS geting into a salary cap mess ( though how they owe million to Haynes is a mystery as i dont think he was in great demand). They have contributed to their own demise by ridiculously over paying to move up to get Ash, Taranto, Cadman

Disagree. What has destroyed GWS is free agency. The large contracts offered to players to get them for free ( by north for Kelly, Hawthorn for cognilio) has contributed to GWS geting into a salary cap mess ( though how they owe million to Haynes is a mystery as i dont think he was in great demand). They have contributed to their own demise by ridiculously over paying to move up to get Ash, Taranto, Cadman
GWS list management was set by the AFL when they were formed.

The AFL did a better job with GWS than the Suns, but have no doubt the plan was set to stop a flag.

GWS list management was set by the AFL when they were formed.

The AFL did a better job with GWS than the Suns, but have no doubt the plan was set to stop a flag.
I thought AFL wanted GWS to win a flag , the best way to make them " cool " or "part of the furniture". We did get 4 extra picks ( the players we had to trade, O'meara, Hogan, Martin, Crouch).

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Geelong and Richmond destroyed the NSW clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back