Hawks and Cats shunted because of the Big Four?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geelong is shunted to Etihad, Brian Cook should demand the game be played at Simond Stadium and donate the proceeds to the AFL so they are not "short changed".

You'd also have to top that up with extra money to cover for the shortfall of 10-15000 seats sold, and accept the fact that only about 17000 of your supporters can show up.

Geelong supporters calling for finals to be played in Geelong are dreaming. If they really want it to happen, how about somebody pull their finger out and build a proper stadium.

I'd prefer to play Freo at Etihad.
It's a tighter ground than the MCG.

In case no one has noticed, Freo hate the ball going out of bounds. Sandilands or no Sandilands.

We smashed them a few weeks ago on a tight ground, Etihad can only help us do it again.

We also love to strangle teams on the smaller (not so wide) Etihad.

Pretty difficult to blame a half full MCG on the MCC members.

Yet they do it regardless. Theres not neccessarily logic in these criticisms.

The MCC will host games who can draw a crowd. If it boils down to Geelong 9v Freo) or Richmond (v Port), in all likelihood they will pick Richmond, purely because of the marketing opportunites. They dont want lockouts in the first round of finals, and Richmond at Etihad might run the risk of that.

You'd also have to top that up with extra money to cover for the shortfall of 10-15000 seats sold, and accept the fact that only about 17000 of your supporters can show up.

Geelong supporters calling for finals to be played in Geelong are dreaming. If they really want it to happen, how about somebody pull their finger out and build a proper stadium.
How ignorant. When were you last there? Current capacity is 33,500. Will be 40,000+ after Stage 5 redevelopment is completed

simonds_stadium_aerial_.jpg

Capacity is 55k? All 3 teams would sell out Etihad vs Port for a final no problems..

Nope, not without the significant neutral crowd that normally rocks up on an mcc or AFL membership. That's been proven by Etihad finals crowds in the past.
Finals tickets are damned expensive, and you need to sell almost as many at Etihad to fill it as you do at the G.

I seriously doubt they will do that to the top teams. Hawks and Cats would be screaming their heads off if they have to play Freo at a stadium that suits their style of play.

It happened last year when Hawthorn played a Saturday twilight game (not even Saturday afternoon FFS) at the MCG so that Sydney didn't have to play at their actual home ground.

How ignorant. When were you last there? Current capacity is 33,500. Will be 40,000+ after Stage 5 redevelopment is completed

The actual reason they shouldn't play there is because it continues their unfair advantage of a singular home ground, which only Gold Coast and GWS enjoy apart from Geelong.

This kind of allowance is barely okay for home and away, but should continue to be seen as unacceptable during finals.

maybe the pies could play there final at vic park?

which I guess would be unlikely as there not even going to play the collingwood vfl finals there

simonds_stadium_aerial_.jpg

I was there in round 14 and am fully aware of it's capacity.

Yes, it's a very pretty boutique stadium, however it's incapable of holding any significant number of people. Finals will remain a pipe dream.

The actual reason they shouldn't play there is because it continues their unfair advantage of a singular home ground, which only Gold Coast and GWS enjoy apart from Geelong.

This kind of allowance is barely okay for home and away, but should continue to be seen as unacceptable during finals.
The real reason is that it is not a "home" final, but a home state final.

On your reckoning, it is acceptable to play finals in Perth on a ground shared by two teams, but not Geelong, because nobody else shares the ground.

What is wrong with a singular home ground? You imply it is bad.

A few thousand? You schedule a knockout final between Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon/Richmond at Etihad and you have somewhere in the vicinity of 40,000 people who otherwise would have attended locked out.
Meh, life isn't fair and if you haven't won your right you won't get first priority.

We also love to strangle teams on the smaller (not so wide) Etihad.
Apparently so. But Simmonds Stadium is actually 14m narrower than Etihad, and we strangled you.
Forgotten?

30 scoring shots to 9.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with skilled hosting finals is where do you draw the line? There's no way you would ever play Collingwood or Hawthorn there in a final....
It isn't going to happen. I know that. But against interstate clubs, where the option is Etihad or Simonds, I know what ground I'd like to see Geelong play on.

If the AFL owned Docklands, and didn't have to worry about contractual obligations; would it be possible to have a Saturday 1.10pm MCG game and a Saturday 7.40pm game? Or would that still be out of the question?

A bit of water will flow beneath the bridge over the next two rounds. We are all making assumptions many of which won't happen
Richmond can't drop out of the 8 can they?

Meh, life isn't fair and if you haven't won your right you won't get first priority.

Alas I dare say the people controlling the fixturing will disagree with you.

As a Hawk fan I would be hoping Port holds on to eighth; a perfect storm of the big 4 in elimination finals WILL take precedence at the MCG.

Alas I dare say the people controlling the fixturing will disagree with you.

As a Hawk fan I would be hoping Port holds on to eighth; a perfect storm of the big 4 in elimination finals WILL take precedence at the MCG.
Which is a joke.

I'm sick of money overwhelming integrity and what is right.

I hope, for the games sake, both Hawthorn and Geelong make sure they keep their games at the MCG, because you know, that is what they desrve and will atleast reassure us that the AFL has one ounce of integrity left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks and Cats shunted because of the Big Four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back