List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long lacked aerial marking presence to make up for a lack of pace.
Same height and weight as Charlie Curnow if the club bios are accurate.

Not sure what everyone saw in Long.

Was far too cumbersome for the top level.
His VFL year for a bloke desperate to play AFL was as good as you could ask for. He set a standard and busted his gut and showed genuine leadership. From where he was the season before his growth was outstanding. If all of our draftees did the same we would be flipping coins delisting blokes.

He’s been shown a lack of respect here from quite a few posters. Not a world beater but very stiff to not be on the list in 24. Loved his aggression and commitment. Kicking and decision making let him down at times and ultimately his death knell but the rest of the stuff on here about him is a joke Esp the Charlie Curnow comparison.

His VFL year for a bloke desperate to play AFL was as good as you could ask for. He set a standard and busted his gut and showed genuine leadership. From where he was the season before his growth was outstanding. If all of our draftees did the same we would be flipping coins delisting blokes.

He’s been shown a lack of respect here from quite a few posters. Not a world beater but very stiff to not be on the list in 24. Loved his aggression and commitment. Kicking and decision making let him down at times and ultimately his death knell but the rest of the stuff on here about him is a joke Esp the Charlie Curnow comparison.
Yet he was delisted, maybe people are just realistic about his abilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet he was delisted, maybe people are just realistic about his abilities.
Go back and read your post captain negative. Nothing positive from you to recognise how much he put in this season.

You would have watched him play far more often than me, so your opinion carries more substance than mine.

From my perspective, watching him in the few AFL opportunities he got, I pondered what role he would play in the team moving forward - particularly given the chatter on BF about his lack of pace.
My take was that his role would always be based on putting pressure on around the ball (he's a bigger body and not an outside user). He did ok in the Adelaide games from limited time, but in the late season game i saw, he looked.. cumbersome (SYL captured it perfectly).
He didn't seem able to get to the ball fast enough to put the required level of pressure on the opposition. So for mine, there would never be a spot for him in the AFL 22, regardless of the qualities he displayed at vfl level, so there was no point keeping him on the list.

You would have watched him play far more often than me, so your opinion carries more substance than mine.

From my perspective, watching him in the few AFL opportunities he got, I pondered what role he would play in the team moving forward - particularly given the chatter on BF about his lack of pace.
My take was that his role would always be based on putting pressure on around the ball (he's a bigger body and not an outside user). He did ok in the Adelaide games from limited time, but in the late season game i saw, he looked.. cumbersome (SYL captured it perfectly).
He didn't seem able to get to the ball fast enough to put the required level of pressure on the opposition. So for mine, there would never be a spot for him in the AFL 22, regardless of the qualities he displayed at vfl level, so there was no point keeping him on the list.
Yeah he didn’t get to play his VFL role at AFL level. So when he was at AFL level he couldn’t play his natural game. It’s so cut throat if a club did give him that chance he may carve out a career at the top level. Loved his big heart so hope he gets another chance. He could easily role play as a rotation mid for a club with a more mature midfield.

Go back and read your post captain negative. Nothing positive from you to recognise how much he put in this season.
I highlighted why he wont get on an AFL list nothing more.

I wished him well, I'm not sure why you expect me to praise him when 99% of players bust their arse to stay on a list.

Sam was interviewed about 6 weeks back on radio and was asked about the improvement of the midfield this year and what he was most pleased about and he made a point of it been Ned Long along with Will Day and Jai.

His numbers this year in the twos were just brilliant for a second year player but like others have said, he probably just lacked that x-factor that’s gonna push any of the guys ahead of him out. Reckon Sam would have liked to hang onto him had some of this years trades not worked out. Think it just came down to list spots.

Sam was interviewed about 6 weeks back on radio and was asked about the improvement of the midfield this year and what he was most pleased about and he made a point of it been Ned Long along with Will Day and Jai.
He probably meant to say Ned Reeves

I reckon 45% at most get enough game time to prove their worth.some years the ones outside the 45% are better than those in, it’s just the way it goes.

It dies highlight the weird complexity of the rules that a player gets e,mployment interruprted just to get bid matching points, which may not actually be used anyway.

Is anyone else concerned that our trading may indicate we think we are closer than we are i.e. a year ahead? It’s a good trade period for 2023 but we have only our first pick next year and little else. We have too much capital this year and some of that needs to converted into 2024. We also still have what I think are 5 best starting 22 positions open. KPD, right wing, explosive mid, 3rd forward, small pressure forward. That doesn’t include thinking about replacing Breust Wingard and now Gunston if he’s best 22 in 1-2 years.
I’m not negative I like what they did but we need another 2 strong drafts (2023/4) to support the long term strategy. Will be interesting to see what happens but am enjoying the ride as I was overseas 2001-2005 so missed the start of that rebuild. Also feel like if people were bothered about Ryan leaving after 3 games, prepare yourself for the list balancing moves in the next 1-2 years to set ourselves up for a tilt.

Is anyone else concerned that our trading may indicate we think we are closer than we are i.e. a year ahead? It’s a good trade period for 2023 but we have only our first pick next year and little else. We have too much capital this year and some of that needs to converted into 2024. We also still have what I think are 5 best starting 22 positions open. KPD, right wing, explosive mid, 3rd forward, small pressure forward. That doesn’t include thinking about replacing Breust Wingard and now Gunston if he’s best 22 in 1-2 years.
I’m not negative I like what they did but we need another 2 strong drafts (2023/4) to support the long term strategy. Will be interesting to see what happens but am enjoying the ride as I was overseas 2001-2005 so missed the start of that rebuild. Also feel like if people were bothered about Ryan leaving after 3 games, prepare yourself for the list balancing moves in the next 1-2 years to set ourselves up for a tilt.

We have a first and second round pick in 2024. Plus we can trade future picks in 2025 draft.

An no I think we’re backing our self in to win a few more games in 2024 and attract a free agent.

I like that we are and we need to use all avenues to return to the top of the ladder A.S.A.P

Talent identification outside the normal early draft picks has also been exceptionally great 👍.

We find a CHB and Rover / forward pocket pressure player to play in 2024 an we have our structure set.

I feel we have role players and we will start looking to add our X factor and super stars to the list.

This is how I think our line may look come 2025.

B: Hardwick Blanck Sicily

H: Scrimshaw McCabe Jiath

C: Ward Worpel MacDonald

R: Reeves Day Newcombe

H: D’Ambrosio Lewis Bennetts

F: Ginnivan Ramsden Butler

Ext I: Chol, Mackenzie, Weddle, Mitchell, Nash, Amon*, Impey*

* If there still playing

A few player to stand up yet, but I think it will come and it will be about adding some X factor and another super star!

There's no shame in being delisted. To be delisted you need to have done something most young footy players dream about but very few do, which is get drafted in the first place. The thing Long was always going to struggle with is that he just had no massive point of difference to lean on. He didn't have the time and space Husthwaite showed in his senior games, nor did he have the top 1% athleticism of Nash. Those were the guys he needed to surpass to stay on the list, but unluckily for him Husthwaite showed more than most thought he would and Nash broke out with one of the most underrated midfielder seasons in recent history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back