List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else concerned that our trading may indicate we think we are closer than we are i.e. a year ahead? It’s a good trade period for 2023 but we have only our first pick next year and little else. We have too much capital this year and some of that needs to converted into 2024.
Our strategy, which has been communicated numerous times by McCartney, was to hit the draft for 3 years and get as many top 30 picks as we could through 21,22 and 23.

We will then look to trade and hit FA from 2024 and beyond.

We are following the strategy.

Our strategy, which has been communicated numerous times by McCartney, was to hit the draft for 3 years and get as many top 30 picks as we could through 21,22 and 23.

We will then look to trade and hit FA from 2024 and beyond.

We are following the strategy.
I think we need to pin this somewhere at the top of the thread a quote from McCartney. The plan

Putting together a Round 1 2024 team is going to be tough.

B: Scrimshaw Blanck Hardwick
HB: Weddle Sicily Jiath
C: Amon Nash Ward
HF: Moore Lewis Ginnivan
F: Breust Chol Ramsden
Fol: Reeves Newcombe Day
Int: Worpel Impey McKenzie MacDonald

With a good pre season I think Gunners will get first dibs ahead of Ramma, but I agree lots of comp for spots.

I for one will be grateful I don’t have to say to myself next year “How the ****ing hell does Bramble get a game ahead of Scrimshaw”

Gunston? And no Wiz?
We haven’t drafted Wiz yet, and Gunston I’m not sold on being part of the 22, particularly in place of a young tall we want to get games into.

Like the idea of having both Rama and Chol pinch hitting in the ruck.

With a good pre season I think Gunners will get first dibs ahead of Ramma, but I agree lots of comp for spots.

I for one will be grateful I don’t have to say to myself next year “How the ******* hell does Bramble get a game ahead of Scrimshaw”
I would be asking a different question. Where was Scrimshaw at? Big year for him to consolidate his spot. Competition in that backline will be hot.

Yeah he didn’t get to play his VFL role at AFL level. So when he was at AFL level he couldn’t play his natural game. It’s so cut throat if a club did give him that chance he may carve out a career at the top level. Loved his big heart so hope he gets another chance. He could easily role play as a rotation mid for a club with a more mature midfield.
Long never had the opportunity to play his preferred position at AFL level, as we had too many established inside mids in great form and no injuries. He was played in the ruck, at full forward, as high half-forward and on the wing, with brief patches in the middle. He also played 2 or 3 of his 5 games as the sub, so never had an opportunity to get confidence or continuity at AFL level. His strengths are his endurance and power - would have loved to see him with full games in the middle to wear out opponents, and start to play with confidence and flair. Love Husthwaite as well, but Long was the dominant mid at Box Hill level, out played Huss, Mackenzie, Stephens week after week. Lumbering? People see what they want to see, his tackle numbers suggest he wasn't easy to evade, and he is a 194cm player running a tick over 6mins for 2k, he is no Callow. I hope he gets another opportunity.

Strong team on paper, can't see why we wouldn't be pushing for a 6 to 10 finish.

Good depth at Box Hill which hopefully means we have a couple of players having breakout years and pushing for senior selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long never had the opportunity to play his preferred position at AFL level, as we had too many established inside mids in great form and no injuries. He was played in the ruck, at full forward, as high half-forward and on the wing, with brief patches in the middle. He also played 2 or 3 of his 5 games as the sub, so never had an opportunity to get confidence or continuity at AFL level. His strengths are his endurance and power - would have loved to see him with full games in the middle to wear out opponents, and start to play with confidence and flair. Love Husthwaite as well, but Long was the dominant mid at Box Hill level, out played Huss, Mackenzie, Stephens week after week. Lumbering? People see what they want to see, his tackle numbers suggest he wasn't easy to evade, and he is a 194cm player running a tick over 6mins for 2k, he is no Callow. I hope he gets another opportunity.
From what I understand Long was delisted because he was slow and lacked agility. Great bloke, loved by teammates and coaches and the like. I just wish Jeka had his commitment and gumption. Then we would have a player

I'm with you completely, I feel he deserved more of a chance at AFL level as a full-time mid. He has some absolutely elite traits and I think he could be a super valuable acquisition for another club.

Round 1 team:

Hardwick Blanck Mitchell
Jiath Sicily Weddle
Ward Worpel Amon
Moore Lewis Watson*
Breust Chol Ginnivan
Reeves Newcombe Day
Nash Scrimshaw Mackenzie Macdonald Impey
Definitely a tall short but I am going for run and spread.

Draft Strategy 2021-2023

Josh Ward
Sam Butler
Connor Mcdonald
Jai Serong
Ned Long

Cam Mckenzie
Josh Weddle
Henry Hustwaite
Bailey Mcdonald
Jack Osullivan
Josh Bennetts

Nick Watson ?
Will McCabe

Looking OK - only thing would be lack of Key Position players & x factor flash (this draft can help with that). Down to specific needs for FA & trade acquisitions next year, really important this years work flows through to this time next year.

His VFL year for a bloke desperate to play AFL was as good as you could ask for. He set a standard and busted his gut and showed genuine leadership. From where he was the season before his growth was outstanding. If all of our draftees did the same we would be flipping coins delisting blokes.

He’s been shown a lack of respect here from quite a few posters. Not a world beater but very stiff to not be on the list in 24. Loved his aggression and commitment. Kicking and decision making let him down at times and ultimately his death knell but the rest of the stuff on here about him is a joke Esp the Charlie Curnow comparison.
Well said RR. IMO if the club is at the point where it has had to decide to delist a player like Long then we must definitely be tracking in the right direction because he is by no means a scrub. I reckon he has a great chance of being picked up somewhere else to a club that is light on for mids. like some have mentioned here already Stephens is lucky he's contracted atm because if it came down to him and Long it could very well have been Ned that was retained.

If Chol is playing round 1 then Ramsden isn't IMO.

We will have no forward half tackling pressure with Lewis, Chol, Ramsden, Ginnivan and Breust being 5 of the 6. I don't see how we can make that work.
It wouldn’t happen but imagine if Gunston was the 6th forward in that line up.

We either get a goal or the opposition do. There would be no inbetween with that forward line.

Moore will have his work cut out for him next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back