List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I believe so, was mentioned on trade radio as a consideration in trades.
Yes the pick number is a starting point and presents an unrealised indicative value. The value of the pick is only realised when used for matching and is whatever number it sits at when the match is made. For example as things stand It is likely that picks 44,47 come in 2 spots, 49 comes in 3 and 62,63 come in about 6 by the time a bid on McCabe is made due to 3xsuns academy and FS Croft for the dogs. It’s roughly adding 250 points to our hand now 62,63 are in play. Hope that made sense.

You wouldn’t do it if you weren’t comfortable if they did get picked up elsewhere. They won’t though
Of course you would, you’d just have conversations with each that you intended to take them back via the rookie draft.

The idea that we delisted Wingard because we’d be happy to lose him is some straight bullshit.

Of course you would, you’d just have conversations with each that you intended to take them back via the rookie draft.

The idea that we delisted Wingard because we’d be happy to lose him is some straight bullshit.
Yep we likely wouldn’t be happy to lose either - otherwise would have delisted them a month ago.

Club clearly wants the list spots to take its picks to draft - and has assessed Wingard and stephens as the two most unlikely to be picked up by other clubs.

But is still a risk another club takes them - happens rarely but does happen.

You wouldn’t do it if you weren’t comfortable if they did get picked up elsewhere. They won’t though
Yes comfortable being the operative word. Greenwood set the precedent and whilst I think unlikely as obviously they do it’s not without risk.

No club will be picking up either Stephens or Wingard in the drafts.

There is an unwritten agreement by clubs to allow this list management behaviour.

The only downside is that I believe we forfeit any right to FA compensation should either choose to exercise their FA right in the future.

The only downside is that I believe we forfeit any right to FA compensation should either choose to exercise their FA right in the future.
On the contrary - this actually makes them unrestricted free agents for life and if they left to sign elsewhere, we'd be entitled to a compo pick based on the contract the new club. An example being James Jordan getting a compo pick for Melb this year as a former DFA bc Melb did this exact process with him previously.

Not that it matters much - it's hard to see any team offer either of them a decent enough contract in the future anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to ignore the list strategy, sure.

You don’t change your strategy based on what other clubs might be doing though.

I know you have it in your head that we should just draft draft draft, but that’s simply not the clubs strategy, and nor should it be.

We’ve got a tonne of talent on the list already, to the point where a Pick 6 and Pick 7 are playing at Box Hill most weeks.
What the focus will be after this draft is the continued development of those already on the list and targeting of trade and FA’s for specific roles.

I don’t want us to draft draft draft all I want is a base of all positions like we did in the last rebuild before we start trading in and FA that’s all.

I’ve said it before but we traded in 2010,2011 but we had a base from 08 we don’t have that base I feel.

We don’t have the forwards, wingers yet.

When I say forwards I mean yes a tall but pressure forwards.

I agree we don’t and won’t get the next buddy and roughy. Just want two key forwards playing each week to get games into them also.

If one is Ramsden and he is seen like King and could be as good, which I’ve read on here then play him each week with Lewis so they can learn to play together and get better even if he plays poorly we are developing.

I don’t want us to draft draft draft all I want is a base of all positions like we did in the last rebuild before we start trading in and FA that’s all.

I’ve said it before but we traded in 2010,2011 but we had a base from 08 we don’t have that base I feel.

We don’t have the forwards, wingers yet.

When I say forwards I mean yes a tall but pressure forwards.

I agree we don’t and won’t get the next buddy and roughy. Just want two key forwards playing each week to get games into them also.

If one is Ramsden and he is seen like King and could be as good, which I’ve read on here then play him each week with Lewis so they can learn to play together and get better even if he plays poorly we are developing.
So when Sam stood in front of the members last AGM and said that he thought we had 12-13 of our next flag sitting in front of him, was he mistaken or just lying?

The idea that we don’t have the core is ridiculous when we’ve got the youngest list in the comp with so much ahead of them knocking off the two Grand Finalists.

On the contrary - this actually makes them unrestricted free agents for life and if they left to sign elsewhere, we'd be entitled to a compo pick based on the contract the new club. An example being James Jordan getting a compo pick for Melb this year as a former DFA bc Melb did this exact process with him previously.

Not that it matters much - it's hard to see any team offer either of them a decent enough contract in the future anyway.
If that's the case then that's great.

And it's a safety net for the player because it means he's guaranteed to still be on an AFL list next year. We've told both we'll pick them up. No-one will pick Chad from the DFA pool because he's deeply committed to us (and out injured til the bye) but in Stephens' case it gives him the scope of another club taking him before us and giving him the opportunity to be playing senior footy whereas with us the reality would be most of the year at BH. Either way he's good.
And if someone picks up Stephens as a DFA we get another spot on the list. MSD here we come..

So when Sam stood in front of the members last AGM and said that he thought we had 12-13 of our next flag sitting in front of him, was he mistaken or just lying?

The idea that we don’t have the core is ridiculous when we’ve got the youngest list in the comp with so much ahead of them knocking off the two Grand Finalists.
Why does Sam have to be either? How does that negate the view point some of us hold where we would like to go to one more draft? If he has 12-13 already, then there’s 10 more spots to fill which can come from a variety of sources. I would like to see at least 2 of them come from high end draft picks this year and next and then that would leave another 6 to find through other means. Glad to see we are all on the same page.

He may so yes have 12-13 on the list but I didn’t know the side that takes the field has only 12-13 players. And maybe you are mistaken and thinking of the AFLW side which has 16 players if you aren’t we need more players.

And just remember AC thought he was on the right track also trading out picks to bring experience players in and not using the draft.

Everyone has a opinion on how many more players we need and if we have finished with the draft or not I think we should still keep hitting it Mitchell may not think this.

Then we hit FA and trading players and drafting over age players from the state leagues like we did with Poppy, Statts etc.

Last edited:
Why does Sam have to be either? How does that negate the view point some of us hold where we would like to go to one more draft? If he has 12-13 already, then there’s 10 more spots to fill which can come from a variety of sources. I would like to see at least 2 of them come from high end draft picks this year and next and then that would leave another 6 to find through other means. Glad to see we are all on the same page.

Agree. Hopefully we are adding two or three more to that list via this draft, after adding two or so over the trade period (Ginnivan and Chol).

So many people here thought we were close when Clarko was going top-up crazy, until they finally realised that we weren't. Point is, twelve or thirteen players is a base is great (I'd argue we may have up to 16 now*), but we still need a few more.

(*Day, Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Ward, Mackenzie, MacDonald, Moore, Lewis, Sicily, Hardwick, CJ, Weddle, Nash, Ginnivan, Amon - are all or will all be good enough IMO)

Agree. Hopefully we are adding two or three more to that list via this draft, after adding two or so over the trade period (Ginnivan and Chol).

So many people here thought we were close when Clarko was going top-up crazy, until they finally realised that we weren't. Point is, twelve or thirteen players is a base is great (I'd argue we may have up to 16 now*), but we still need a few more.

(*Day, Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Ward, Mackenzie, MacDonald, Moore, Lewis, Sicily, Hardwick, CJ, Weddle, Nash, Ginnivan, Amon - are all or will all be good enough IMO)
That's a handsome list J2S, can i add Reeves. ?

You would have to think with the Giants missing out on Fantasia and having previously shown interest in Chad, that they would be picking up the phone and making a call after today?
Wouldn’t it be ironic after flat out telling them he wouldn’t go there if they drafted him that he finishes his career with GWS…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back