List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Chad & Stephens would be in as rookies ... or is 6 the total list size remaining(main & rookies)?

Total, I don't think it matters the makeup of primary and rookie lists as long as it's no more than 44 total I think. Not sure how it works with Cat B

Total, I don't think it matters the makeup of primary and rookie lists as long as it's no more than 44 total I think. Not sure how it works with Cat B
Allowed to have 3 Category B rookies on the list - at present we only have one player in Josh Bennetts who is Category B as Fionn O'Hara went back to Ireland to play rugby for Ulster.

Ah, the AFL and their nomenclature. If someone with the profile of Chad Wingard can be put on a "rookie list", I feel like that sub-list is misnamed.

Had a bit of a look. I think we have ...
33 on the main list out of 38 max.
4 rookies - Blanck, Ramsden, Mitchell and Bennetts (cat B).

That's 37 out of a total of 44 so even if we rookie Chad & Stephens we still have up to 5 senior list spots left.

Edit. Senior list is:
Morrison, Lewis, Newcombe, Impey, Worpel
Sicily, Reeves, Frost, CJ, Amon
Nash, Day, Moore, Scrimshaw, Hardwick
Meek, Breust, DGB, Ward, Mackenzie
Serong, Butler, Macdonald, Maginness, Weddle
BMac, O'Sullivan, Hustwaite, Tucker, Chol
D'Ambrosio, Ginnivan, Gunston.

That's 33 ... did I miss anyone?

Last edited:

That's 37 out of a total of 44 so even if we rookie Chad & Stephens we still have up to 5 senior list spots left.

Edit. Senior list is:

Tucker is on the rookie list also.

Edit. Senior list is:

Working backwards max is 44. You can fill that with some flexibility as follows
36-38 primary (33)
4-6 cat A rookie (4)
1-2 cat B rookie (1)
So if we rookie wingard and stephens that’s cat A max. So we can take 3 primary and a cat B or 4 primary.

Working backwards max is 44. You can fill that with some flexibility as follows
36-38 primary (33)
4-6 cat A rookie (4)
1-2 cat B rookie (1)
So if we rookie wingard and stephens that’s cat A max. So we can take 3 primary and a cat B or 4 primary.
No that's wrong I think. We have four rookies including Bennetts..... 3 Cat a and 1 Cat B.
If Tucker is a rookie that would mean our primary list is 32 which leaves 6 spots but I'm pretty sure he's on the primary list.
Either way, 5 spots open.

Edit: Ok I can't find anything re Tucker on the primary list which means he's a rookie along with Mitchell, Blanck & Ramsden and Bennetts as the Cat B. That's 5 and if we rookie Chad & Stephens that's 7. Max rookies is 6 though isn't it?
Even if it isn't, 7 from 44 is 37 and our primary list is currently 32 (without Tucker) so still 5 spots open.

I am developing a headache.

Last edited:
No that's wrong I think. We have four rookies including Bennetts..... 3 Cat a and 1 Cat B.
If Tucker is a rookie that would mean our primary list is 32 which leaves 6 spots but I'm pretty sure he's on the primary list.
Either way, 5 spots open.
6 spots open. 2 for Chad and Stephens.
So we can take 4 picks.

6 spots open. 2 for Chad and Stephens.
So we can take 4 picks.
That's the whole point, where are you getting 6 open spots? I'm seeing 7 open. 32 + 4 +1

Are you working out 32 from 38 means 6 spots? But Chad & Stephens would be rookied (club stated this.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The final word (I hope). From the AFL site posted Nov 6

Every club except for North Melbourne and Gold Coast can sign a maximum of 44 footballers for the 2024 season , comprising between 36 and 38 on the primary list, four to six category A rookies – depending on the size of their primary list – and up to two category B rookies
So we have Bennetts Cat B - that's list size down to 43. Four rookies already ( Blanck, Ramsden, Mitchell & Tucker) and if we rookie Chad & Stephens that's 6.
6 from 43 is 37 and our primary list is currently 32
(please check it)
BMac, O'Sullivan, Hustwaite, Chol, Gunston
D'Ambrosio, Ginnivan.

So that leaves 5 picks live.
Even ignoring the fact that we'd have 7 rookies which isn't allowed. There should be 6 so someone has been upgraded to primary to make way for Chad & Cooper.
Which still means 5 total spots open any way you slice it.

The final word (I hope). From the AFL site posted Nov 6

Every club except for North Melbourne and Gold Coast can sign a maximum of 44 footballers for the 2024 season , comprising between 36 and 38 on the primary list, four to six category A rookies – depending on the size of their primary list – and up to two category B rookies
So we have Bennetts Cat B - that's list size down to 43. Four rookies already ( Blanck, Ramsden, Mitchell & Tucker) and if we rookie Chad & Stephens that's 6.
6 from 43 is 37 and our primary list is currently 32
(please check it)
BMac, O'Sullivan, Hustwaite, Chol, Gunston
D'Ambrosio, Ginnivan.

So that leaves 5 picks live.
Even ignoring the fact that we'd have 7 rookies which isn't allowed. There should be 6 so someone has been upgraded to primary to make way for Chad & Cooper.
Which still means 5 total spots open any way you slice it.
Can only have 42 on the main and rookie list. With up to 2 cat B’s taking it to a max of 44.

So we can only take 4 players but have 6 active picks given we won’t have Stephens or Wings on our list at the time.

Can only have 42 on the main and rookie list. With up to 2 cat B’s taking it to a max of 44.

So we can only take 4 players but have 6 active picks given we won’t have Stephens or Wings on our list at the time.
Nope pretty sure that's wrong. Total list size is 44. That's the TOTAL list comprising Primary, Cat A & Cat B.
Up to 38 Primary
Up to 6 Rookie (Cat A & Cat B). You can have up to 3 Cat B rookies which means your Cat A rookies could only be 3. We have 1 (Bennetts), we can have 5 more Cat A.

That's the whole point, where are you getting 6 open spots? I'm seeing 7 open. 32 + 4 +1

Are you working out 32 from 38 means 6 spots? But Chad & Stephens would be rookied (club stated this.)
Ok I went back to the start and counted again. So we had 45 because we took Ryan with Max Lynch in the LTI. 36 primary 7 Cat A 2 Cat B.
We have delisted/traded 7 primary, 2 Cat A and 1 Cat B. 29,5,1.
We traded in 4 primary. 33,5,1.
Newk upgraded means 34,4,1.
Chad and stephens rookies means 32,4,1 seems right. Means we can technically add 7 players, 2 Cat A rookies chad and Cooper, makes 32,6,1.
Edit: So we could add 4 primary and 1 Cat B because you can’t have more than 42 between primary and Cat A rookie as H00t says.

Last edited:
Nope pretty sure that's wrong. Total list size is 44. That's the TOTAL list comprising Primary, Cat A & Cat B.
Up to 38 Primary
Up to 6 Rookie (Cat A & Cat B). You can have up to 3 Cat B rookies which means your Cat A rookies could only be 3. We have 1 (Bennetts), we can have 5 more Cat A.
Total list size of 44. You can only get to it with 2 Cat B players.

The whole point of Cat B players is they are separate to the main list so having them on the list won’t limit having players on the main or rookie list.

Also your info is wrong. It’s 36-38 max on the main list. And 4-6 on the rookie list depending on how many on the main list.

With up 2 Cat B players.

38 + 4 + 2 = 44. Or less on the main list and more on the rookie list. If you don’t have 2 on the Cat B rookie list you don’t get more spaces to make up for it.

Total list size of 44. You can only get to it with 2 Cat B players.

The whole point of Cat B players is they are separate to the main list so having them on the list won’t limit having players on the main or rookie list.

Also your info is wrong. It’s 36-38 max on the main list. And 4-6 on the rookie list depending on how many on the main list.

With up 2 Cat B players.

38 + 4 + 2 = 44. Or less on the main list and more on the rookie list. If you don’t have 2 on the Cat B rookie list you don’t get more spaces to make up for it.
So can we have 4 or 5 picks?

Does that include the Jai Newcomb upgrade to he main list?
4 picks in the draft?
Can we clear a spot due to LTI of Wingard to pick up Phillips in the SSP ?
So Newk doesn’t impact as it covers primary and Cat A so it’s just a transfer net impact 0. Yes 4 picks in the draft. He has to be on the primary list through the drafts but according to rule 26.7 we could then apply for him to be put on the LTI. Doesn’t cover the nonsense delist re-rookie scenario we are in. This is the rule

26.7 Lodgement of Primary List (Rule 6.1)
If a Club intends to retain a Player who is on its Long Term Injury List at the end of the Football Year, the Club must transfer the Player from its Long Term Injury List to its Primary List at the time the Primary List is lodged with the AFL under Rule 6.1 and maintain such Player on its Primary List until after the completion of the Rookie Draft Selection Meeting. If the Player is still suffering a Long Term Injury after completion of the Rookie Draft Selection Meeting, the Club may again seek the approval of the General Counsel to include the Player on its Long Term Injury List in accordance with this rule 0.

So to summarise, we have 4 primary list spots vacant + 1 Cat B (which assumes Chad and Stephens are added to the rookie list).

It looks like the only way we can add 5 to the 2024 list is:

1) if 2J isn't selected in the ND which is highly unlikely
2) we find another international player or one from another sport
3) one of Chad or Stephens are selected in the ND by another club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back