List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered how paying average footballers big $$$ to pry them away as a free agent affects morale in a team.

Say I am one of our young guns like Newk (a legit top 30 player in the league) earning about $400k a year and he sees someone like Esava come in on $600k.

Every workplace I have ever worked the salaries of other employees was always a hot topic for discussion (and sometimes angst) and I wonder if AFL clubs are similar?

Or do the players just accept it as one of those things that is part and parcel of AFL?
It is interesting - i reckon each case is different. Performance being the biggest factor. If the player is playing well, i don't think the players care too much - even if your own performance is on a par.

I don't think any of our players begrudge Amon, because he's performing and helping us be a better team.
Polec, Daisy Thomas and others would've created angst - so the responsibility is on the club to make sure that the player can justify the salary via performance to avoid any playing group dissonance.

I've always wondered how paying average footballers big $$$ to pry them away as a free agent affects morale in a team.

Say I am one of our young guns like Newk (a legit top 30 player in the league) earning about $400k a year and he sees someone like Esava come in on $600k.

Every workplace I have ever worked the salaries of other employees was always a hot topic for discussion (and sometimes angst) and I wonder if AFL clubs are similar?

Or do the players just accept it as one of those things that is part and parcel of AFL?

The players would know that media stated figures are wild guesses and probably ignore them.

It is interesting - i reckon each case is different. Performance being the biggest factor. If the player is playing well, i don't think the players care too much - even if your own performance is on a par.

I don't think any of our players begrudge Amon, because he's performing and helping us be a better team.
Polec, Daisy Thomas and others would've created angst - so the responsibility is on the club to make sure that the player can justify the salary via performance to avoid any playing group dissonance.
Yeh but Amon was already a good to very good player at Port (he had the most Brownlow Votes last year for them) when we drafted him and his performances this year were pretty much spot on for what we are paying him.

I'm not talking about when say someone like Geelong trades in a bonafide gun like Cameron and pays them $800k+ a year.

I'm talking when clubs massively overpay to get poor to average players across (usually to fill a positional need).

There is just no way from what I have seen that Esava would ever put out regular performances to justify a $600k paycheck. He's a $350 to $450k a year man if ever I've seen one.

Yeh but Amon was already a good to very good player at Port (he had the most Brownlow Votes last year for them) when we drafted him and his performances this year were pretty much spot on for what we are paying him.

I'm not talking about when say someone like Geelong trades in a bonafide gun like Cameron and pays them $800k+ a year.

I'm talking when clubs massively overpay to get poor to average players across (usually to fill a positional need).

There is just no way from what I have seen that Esava would ever put out regular performances to justify a $600k paycheck. He's a $350 to $450k a year man if ever I've seen one.
Many players who move clubs get something like 20-30% more than what they’d get staying put. It’s the tax clubs pay to build a team and fill needs.

Players understand that, and ultimately want on field success. If they’re bought into the vision of the club, and part of that vision is targeting specific needs and paying what needs to be paid to get it done, then I’d say most would support that.

Many players who move clubs get something like 20-30% more than what they’d get staying put. It’s the tax clubs pay to build a team and fill needs.

Players understand that, and ultimately want on field success. If they’re bought into the vision of the club, and part of that vision is targeting specific needs and paying what needs to be paid to get it done, then I’d say most would support that.
The real trick to list management is being able to attract players without being the biggest bidder. Even lately Lynch and Cameron probably could have got more money elsewhere.

The more money you can save on each player brought in the more money you have to bring in an extra player or retain more players.

The real trick to list management is being able to attract players without being the biggest bidder. Even lately Lynch and Cameron probably could have got more money elsewhere.

The more money you can save on each player brought in the more money you have to bring in an extra player or retain more players.
Which is exactly why offering Esava $600k a year for 5 years (with inflation linked to new EBA deals) just seems like bad business.

100% it does, I’ve been involved in a few levels of footy and every player knows what everyone else is getting. I’ve seen players crack it and leave clubs over another player getting $100 more than them. If Esava came in on a huge bumper contract and performed like he has his whole career so far, a lot of noses would get out of joint. Also sets a precedent for guys to ask for more money if they perform better than him. Which would be pretty much anyone getting a game

100% it does, I’ve been involved in a few levels of footy and every player knows what everyone else is getting. I’ve seen players crack it and leave clubs over another player getting $100 more than them. If Esava came in on a huge bumper contract and performed like he has his whole career so far, a lot of noses would get out of joint. Also sets a precedent for guys to ask for more money if they perform better than him. Which would be pretty much anyone getting a game
You keep reading the Press or listen to the media. The HFC is very protective of its salary scales.
It will not compromise it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is exactly why offering Esava $600k a year for 5 years (with inflation linked to new EBA deals) just seems like bad business.
Is it part of the AFLPA agreement that every player gets 'X%' increase, across the board; hence, X% increase in the salary cap?

I don't think it's a flat increase for all, in which case there's no need for Esava's salary to increase further due to 'inflation'.

Is it part of the AFLPA agreement that every player gets 'X%' increase, across the board; hence, X% increase in the salary cap?

I don't think it's a flat increase for all, in which case there's no need for Esava's salary to increase further due to 'inflation'.
Previous poster said that most clubs (including the Hawks) have a policy of automatically increasing every contracted players account by the amount that the salary cap goes up by.

So Esavas salary will go up along with all the other contracted Hawks players once new players pay deal is negotiated.

TBH that sounds a reasonable way of doing it but that means that Esavas wage will remain quite high for the whole of the 5 years and won’t be reduced due to player payment inflation.

Previous poster said that most clubs (including the Hawks) have a policy of automatically increasing every contracted players account by the amount that the salary cap goes up by.

So Esavas salary will go up along with all the other contracted Hawks players once new players pay deal is negotiated.

TBH that sounds a reasonable way of doing it but that means that Esavas wage will remain quite high for the whole of the 5 years and won’t be reduced due to player payment inflation.
As much as random internet guy may be correct...

This amounts to a TERRIBLE list management tactic unless forced to do so under AFLPA/League rules.

To me Esava is on par with Kosi, with Kosi potentially having more upside being 2 years younger (23).
and keep Kosi on the list for another 1-2 yrs and we will/may get 1st round FA compo for him like McKay is going for.

Maybe even next yr if FA rules change to 7 yrs from 8. If North or Richmond are giving decent trades for Kosi do it but if its is 3rd or 4rth rounders better to keep him.

and keep Kosi on the list for another 1-2 yrs and we will/may get 1st round FA compo for him like McKay is going for.

Maybe even next yr if FA rules change to 7 yrs from 8. If North or Richmond are giving decent trades for Kosi do it but if its is 3rd or 4rth rounders better to keep him.

Barring some kind of crazy upward trajectory of Kosi’s stats he’s never, ever going to get band 1 FA compensation.

Barring some kind of crazy upward trajectory of Kosi’s stats he’s never, ever going to get band 1 FA compensation.

Unless he starts playing more of the games when he dominates aerial contests or kicks 2-3 goals. Done it before albeit very inconsistently.

Tough plugging holes when you have to cover injured ruck crew one year and injured key forward every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back