List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To your knowledge is there a view internally that there’s improvement Sam and the coaching team can get out of him that isn’t being done out Corio way. Without giving too much away are Mitchell and McCartney really keen on this one?
All I know is we want to play him forward. It is what he potentially costs Draft capital wise.

To your knowledge is there a view internally that there’s improvement Sam and the coaching team can get out of him that isn’t being done out Corio way. Without giving too much away are Mitchell and McCartney really keen on this one?
I think he can be more effective for us than he is/was for them, but I don't see his skills getting much better.

What about these abominations?

View attachment 1793911
It's like twisties got the idea from a bunch of stoned uni students.
Co- worker bought some and shared them around. Hands down the worst chip i've ever eaten. Worst thing was getting to experience the flavour again while trying to get it out of your teeth afterwards. Horrible.

Those and their raspberry ones both ended up in the bin upon first and only purchase. Horrid!
You have to take risks to succeed. Chicken twisties would have sounded terrible when first floated I am sure. But chicken twisties = franklin cinnamon donut = Tambling. It’s a fine line

This has got to be one of the most bizarre free agency / trade periods in recent history when a player of pretty limited ability like Esava is looking at walking away with a five year / $600k a year deal.

No offence to Esava but I strongly doubt he will ever get close to matching the deeds of Lake / Hale / Gibbo / Guerra.

Geez we nailed the free agency picks in the three peat, have to give credit to Clarko and our list managers back then they nailed those trades / pick ups.

Seems the day of picking up a Gibbo / Hale from Norf for nothing are over though unfortunately 😔

This has got to be one of the most bizarre free agency / trade periods in recent history when a player of pretty limited ability like Esava is looking at walking away with a five year / $600k a year deal.

No offence to Esava but I strongly doubt he will ever get close to matching the deeds of Lake / Hale / Gibbo / Guerra.

Geez we nailed the free agency picks in the three peat, have to give credit to Clarko and our list managers back then they nailed those trades / pick ups.

Seems the day of picking up a Gibbo / Hale from Norf for nothing are over though unfortunately 😔
We could still get McKay yet.

Simpkin was a great 20-26 man on our list, a delisted pickup and deservedly got a gig in the 1st of the 3 peat and Chip came in and played his role to perfection in 2015. That was it, the rest were trades.

We missed out on many but I'll take the 3 flags every day of the week.

To your OP, yes, bizarre to say the least. He can't cement his place as a young KPP in a team about to fall off a cliff and is now a world beater with multiple clubs chasing him on potential.

Flip the script and we'd walk off like bandits if that were Kosi.

Geelol would have been looking to get Band 1 compo for him if he was eligible this year.

Yes! The first 'doomed I tells ya!' post of the off-season, a full 32 days before the free agency period opens. Just like the first flower of spring - so beautiful!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope the HFC wins this one. I know it is not popular. It is what he is going to cost Draft capital wise. That is the issue.
Can I ask why?
He’s Geelongs whipping boy- another version of Frost- big and athletic but no football IQ- coach killing turnovers with ball in hand as a defender. No forward craft or smarts when played forward… our interest actually makes me start questioning the leadership at the club…

As much as we hate to admit it Geelong are a smart club they wouldn’t be pushing this guy out the door if he was any good or had development left in him- this is a big mistake if we trade for him, not too dissimilar from when we recruited Vickey- but at least he was free. We actually have to give up assets to get him… I just hope it’s Port and not us…

Last edited:

Did anyone expect Lake/Hale/Gibson/Guerra to be as good as they were for the Hawks before the arrived? Lake maybe, but he still probably outperformed already high expectations.

Did anyone expect Lake/Hale/Gibson/Guerra to be as good as they were for the Hawks before the arrived? Lake maybe, but he still probably outperformed already high expectations.
Yeah, don't reckon they did - at least not with Gibson and Guerra. Guerra had been delisted twice and Gibbo was an okay footballer.

It's about the other players that are already on the list when they get there. Cheap acquisitions aren't remembered fondly if the team doesn't go anywhere with them, whether it's their fault or not. People forget it wasn't long ago we picked up Ricky Henderson as a DFA and he had his career best season in 2019 with us, if our team was a bit better at that point he'd have been remembered very similarly to the vaunted value picks of the threepeat.

That said, doubt any of those lads were in danger of getting the type of deal Esava is purportedly lined up for.

Much like the chocolate I saw the other day boasting that it contains crunchy nut conflakes - snacks that literally nobody asked for.

Actually, Ned, have to call you on this. A good friend of mine works in this industry, leading a team to develop new flavours for biscuits and chocolates. The process they go through is quite structured (and fascinating in a geeky kind of way), but it always starts with a suggestion from a customer.

So there would have been at least one person who has asked for it (and, in truth, probably a lot more, as they really don't want to go to the expense of a development cycle for one request...)

P

I understand the hesitation with these moves, it seems a bit early for us in our development to be exploring the free agency and trade markets.

But I think that we've shown this year that we're a significantly better side when we have the correct structure in place. It's not necessarily about what Esava/Mckay will do but rather what it will allow those around them to do.

The third year in is also a tricky one for a new coach, expectation will be that an improved win/loss column and ladder position is a given but it's not often the case, and this can hurt momentum. We obviously think that these moves could help frank some of our form in the latter part of this season and help drive us to be better next year.

Actually, Ned, have to call you on this. A good friend of mine works in this industry, leading a team to develop new flavours for biscuits and chocolates. The process they go through is quite structured (and fascinating in a geeky kind of way), but it always starts with a suggestion from a customer.

So there would have been at least one person who has asked for it (and, in truth, probably a lot more, as they really don't want to go to the expense of a development cycle for one request...)

P

As Crowded House sing - people are strange, god only knows.

P
Though the crunchy nut cornflakes chocolate actually sounds pretty good, modern limited release snacks tend to get impacted by the Boaty McBoatface rule. Given the opportunity, people on the internet will suggest bad things in an attempt to get brands to follow through. Case in point... Create Your Taste at McDonalds.

burgers.jpg

I will give Twisties credit for not doing what every other chip brand does, release a new flavour which ends up being some slight variation on BBQ.

Can I ask why?
He’s Geelongs whipping boy- another version of Frost- big and athletic but no football IQ- coach killing turnovers with ball in hand as a defender. No forward craft or smarts when played forward… our interest actually makes me start questioning the leadership at the club…

As much as we hate to admit it Geelong are a smart club they wouldn’t be pushing this guy out the door if he was any good or had development left in him- this is a big mistake if we sign him not too dissimilar from when we recruited Vickey- but at least he was free. We actually have to give up assets to get him… I just hope it’s Port and not us…
Whilst Vickery didn't cost us any assets (just $$$) it did reward the Tigers with the draft compo to obtain Shai Bolton who was a big contributor to there 2017, 2019 and 2020 premierships. If we assisted the Cats in a similar way then I think I'd vomit in my mouth and swallow it multiple times.

This comparison to esava is ridiculous;

Gibson - use to towel buddy up and was exception in defence, north started being norf and played him in bad positions and he liked a party; huge upside in the right environment.

Lake - one of the most talented footballers you will ever watch, he got his head back in the game after basically checking out, unbelievable talent and disgusting has been compared to esava by to many.

Hale - came off a bad year but was ultra competitive and an unbelievable footy iq, allowed him to play forward to a high standard and ruck far better then he should have been able to.

(Guerra is a small so hard to want to compare to esava but he had an elite kick)

Other than pure strength I have never seen anything that seems elite from esava and is the most perplexing of our perceived signings this off-season. Their may be more smoke in kozi leaving but to give up anything of value before a 4th round for esava would be quite bemusing.

(I could understand the McKay comparison to the above 3, but esava… I throw my hands in the air)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back