List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are to miss finals and the club doesn't extend Luke for one more season it would gird to have him play his 300th game with another club.
Punky will retire a one-club player.
He has been very clear on that for several years now.

AFL rookie minimum wage pays more than any job he will get next year. Unless his body is absolutely done playing is what players want to do.
I don’t know. Fortnite tournaments have pretty big prize pools.

If we are to miss finals and the club doesn't extend Luke for one more season it would gird to have him play his 300th game with another club.
To pack up at a club he's been at for 15 years and then go through all the stuff you need to when you move clubs just to get to 300 games.
I don't think so.

We get hung up on using every last list spot but pretty much every club has a few spots allotted to players who have never, and may never play a senior game. I don't see an issue with keeping some older guys on.

There was also talk about a Veteran's List last year, so maybe we've got word from the AFL that list allowance will be made.

Only because list spots seem tight. I guess the question is does keeping him push out someone you think in a year from now might make a huge leap like JOS if he can get his body right. Will be a tough call to make I don’t envy the list management team.

If we don’t trade out our picks , currently 6+27, we could take those 2 and elevate a player. That covers our AFL draft commitment. Phillips can stay due to Lewis injury so only two to exit as a must, maybe Battle will force a third.

Feel free to fact check, keen to know for certain.

If we don’t trade out our picks , currently 6+27, we could take those 2 and elevate a player. That covers our AFL draft commitment. Phillips can stay due to Lewis injury so only two to exit as a must, maybe Battle will force a third.

Feel free to fact check, keen to know for certain.
My understanding is we have 45 on the list which needs to be 44. The current makeup is below we also need to take 3 picks at the draft but that can be achieved with picks or upgrades.
Primary 37 (36-38 allowed)
Rookie A 7 (4-6 allowed)
cat B 1 (1-2 allowed)
Assuming we only get battle via FA or trade, likely take 3-4 picks at ND including 1-2 FS or academy, that’s 50 total. So would need to reduce by 6 including cutting or promoting 1 rookie.
IMO
Rookies cut stephens and philips.
2 of bruest Gunston wingard.
Unfortunately I think JOS will go.
Potential trade Morrison DGB but for little return likely future picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding is we have 45 on the list which needs to be 44. The current makeup is below we also need to take 3 picks at the draft but that can be achieved with picks or upgrades.
Primary 37 (36-38 allowed)
Rookie A 7 (4-6 allowed)
cat B 1 (1-2 allowed)
Assuming we only get battle via FA or trade, likely take 3-4 picks at ND including 1-2 FS or academy, that’s 50 total. So would need to reduce by 6 including cutting or promoting 1 rookie.
IMO
Rookies cut stephens and philips.
2 of bruest Gunston wingard.
Unfortunately I think JOS will go.
Potential trade Morrison DGB but for little return likely future picks.
Morrison is a UFA.

Sorry I had a Ralph moment. What makes him UFA I thought it was 10 years (he’s at 8) or top 25% of payments which I can’t imagine he could be.
It’s when you’re not top 25% of your club TPP in your last year.

We should give some serious thought to Reeves. Let's face it he's never playing seniors again whilst Meek is fit and Ned doesn't want to remain a VFL ruckman. I'm guessing he may request a trade and we'd have to give it serious thought.

Let's look at things, yes we're left then with only Meek because Ramsden & Tucker aren't in that AFL bracket yet but we'd also have to consider the potential benefits of what Reeves leaving would bring us.
There are some clubs out there desperate for a ruckman (we're playing one this weekend!) and Reeves could land us a potential late first or earlyish second.

Question 1 is easy - is it worth it?
Question 2 is harder - if he comes to us and wants a trade would we say "no, we're keeping you as back-up", rather than helping him?

I'd be doing everything to keep Reeves if we can. We had McEvoy, Reeves and Lynch not too long ago and had a ruck crisis when all three were out injured. Ramsden hasn't shown he can take AFL level even for patches yet as a ruck, and Tucker is still a project ruckman. Can we make finals if Meek has a stint on the sidelines relying on those two? We don't want Chol to have to play too much ruck given Lewis is out injured. We also don't have strong key position depth as it is (its actually very weak for a team that has finals aspirations) but at least our ruck depth is decent, so I wouldn't want to hurt one area we actually have depth in terms of our big men. If Reeves asks for a trade its a bit different (although he's in contact), but getting a pick in 30s/40s isn't really valuable for the stage we are in compared to the value of ruck depth to us, so I'd be holding him unless another club comes to the party pays us actually something of value to us going forward.

I think Lewis' injury means we want to keep Reeves. Ramsden and Tucker have big question marks on them, and Chol is 2nd relief ruck at best.

The question is really will Reeves be content to be the reserve?

How much will his value drop (both his salary and in draft value) if he spends not just 2024, but 2025 in the VFL?

That's the point, at the moment he's got value.

I have no idea if he's going to request a move and I don't know if any other clubs would be interested, but i do know for a fact he's not happy "stuck in the VFL".

That's the point, at the moment he's got value.

I have no idea if he's going to request a move and I don't know if any other clubs would be interested, but i do know for a fact he's not happy "stuck in the VFL".
And he’s playing like it.

I watched him at Box Hill 2 weeks ago and posed the question to my mate “would he be playing footy if he wasn’t 6 foot 8?” I don’t think so.

And suppose the ruck rule interpretation which favours meek over reeves disappears overnight like it appeared overnight?
Meek would still be a far superior player around the ground than Reeves even if that happened.

I strongly doubt we would go back to Reeves even if the rules reverted given the physical presence and overall impact around the ground he has provided relative to what Reeves provides.

Saying that I'd like to keep Reeves as a backup ruck but that all depends what Reeves thinks is best for his career moving forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back