List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Morrison and Serong will attract interest after how they handled themselves in the finals.
Morrison should get and extension. Hope he stays. Serong is contracted and can't see us letting him go.

I will upset a few here, but after last night my views have changed a bit.

I am not sure Gunstan and Breust offer a lot outside of leadership now. Both of them playing does restrict how we use our sub. If the sub rule changes, that would be good. Both remaining on the list also restricts our ability to add extra depth.

We were a player or two down in our forwards last night against a makeshift backline. It should have been a win for us but wasn't.

There is a big immediate gap in our forward line to be filled. Chol is only a piece of the forward pie, not the key. We do need to add a big KPF to balance the forward line. Dear is still a few seasons away from being consistently dominant and who knows with Lewis? I am not hanging my hopes on him playing regularly. Scaife is still a project who may or may not step up but would be several years if he does. Does Sicily go forward...risky IMO as he is such a good attacking defender.

We need a bit more pace & class around the footy. Either Cmac needs to start learning the midfield craft and or we need at least a couple of speedy mids to complement our current warriors. Rozee, JFH types are what we are missing currently, which showed last night. (should we revisit the Bailey Smith option).

Do Seamus Mitchell or Baily Mac show any signs of becoming midfielders/wingers?

I am now not sold on Barrass if the asking price is more than our round one selection. At 29 and a crook back, it is risky.

Still a number of pieces to add to make us a premiership force.

Morrison should get and extension. Hope he stays. Serong is contracted and can't see us letting him go.

I will upset a few here, but after last night my views have changed a bit.

I am not sure Gunstan and Breust offer a lot outside of leadership now. Both of them playing does restrict how we use our sub. If the sub rule changes, that would be good. Both remaining on the list also restricts our ability to add extra depth.

We were a player or two down in our forwards last night against a makeshift backline. It should have been a win for us but wasn't.

There is a big immediate gap in our forward line to be filled. Chol is only a piece of the forward pie, not the key. We do need to add a big KPF to balance the forward line. Dear is still a few seasons away from being consistently dominant and who knows with Lewis? I am not hanging my hopes on him playing regularly. Scaife is still a project who may or may not step up but would be several years if he does. Does Sicily go forward...risky IMO as he is such a good attacking defender.

We need a bit more pace & class around the footy. Either Cmac needs to start learning the midfield craft and or we need at least a couple of speedy mids to complement our current warriors. Rozee, JFH types are what we are missing currently, which showed last night. (should we revisit the Bailey Smith option).

Do Seamus Mitchell or Baily Mac show any signs of becoming midfielders/wingers?

I am now not sold on Barrass if the asking price is more than our round one selection. At 29 and a crook back, it is risky.

Still a number of pieces to add to make us a premiership force.
I still think it is worth keeping them on, solely for their leadership roles, though i honestly think between them they will play 10-15 games each and add to our mix. When fit and firing they can be an asset, while both have acknowledged that time at Box Hill is a definite possibility. With the soft salary cap so tight having these two quality people in and around the playing list for next year will be a boon rather than a bust.

I still think it is worth keeping them on, solely for their leadership roles, though i honestly think between them they will play 10-15 games each and add to our mix. When fit and firing they can be an asset, while both have acknowledged that time at Box Hill is a definite possibility. With the soft salary cap so tight having these two quality people in and around the playing list for next year will be a boon rather than a bust.
Look, I kind of agree with you maxi, however, neither are going to be better come finals time 2025. They may be liabilities in a final. If the sub rule is changed and they allow 23 on the bench, it definitely helps us in this regard.

They are both premiership legends to be respected and agree, the soft cap may be a factor.

He extended last year but until the end of 2025 - isn’t it a bit premature at this stage?

Not really, no. Players often get extended before their contract end year. Being that he's a RFA I would like him locked up.

Do any of the ITK folk know if Worpel is in talks to extend? I really don't want him going elsewhere.
He extended for 2 years last year to get to free agent status. That was clearly in his advantage now that his form had recovered from a few years in the doldrums. He won't extend and his manager will be looking at the market at the end of next year surely. The Cattery could be a lure as an ex Falcons captain. Hate to lose him but we have good fallback options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So ready for season 2025 to start already! We should be aiming for TOP 4. Port now joins the cats and bombers games to check out early.

I feel Sam and the boys will be looking forward to the port game.

Hopefully we find a couple of bargains in the trade and draft period.

I do believe we have enough defence power with Battle coming on a free, adding Barrass as well at 29 could do more harm than good at a cost hefty price tag. Now I wouldn’t be upset if we go full balls ahead with Bailey Smith off loading the pick that could be used on Barrass and a fringe such as Finn + a future pick.

I do believe we have enough defence power with Battle coming on a free, adding Barrass as well at 29 could do more harm than good at a cost hefty price tag. Now I wouldn’t be upset if we go full balls ahead with Bailey Smith off loading the pick that could be used on Barrass and a fringe such as Finn + a future pick.
Did you forget to change accounts?

He extended for 2 years last year to get to free agent status. That was clearly in his advantage now that his form had recovered from a few years in the doldrums. He won't extend and his manager will be looking at the market at the end of next year surely. The Cattery could be a lure as an ex Falcons captain. Hate to lose him but we have good fallback options.
If he wanted to join the Cats, he would have done so when his value was low and be traded off on the cheap cheap. He will stay.

Ok, you have some explaining to do... What's going on. ?

Look, I kind of agree with you maxi, however, neither are going to be better come finals time 2025. They may be liabilities in a final. If the sub rule is changed and they allow 23 on the bench, it definitely helps us in this regard.

They are both premiership legends to be respected and agree, the soft cap may be a factor.
Neither can play a full game, so removing the sub makes it impossible to play either.

That’s the only thing that bothers me, they could both be cooked by September 25! It’s a hard one to be honest, need their collective IQ for the young forwards, but need space to bring more in. Maybe Punky retires mid season in time for MSD. honestly your guess is as good as mine. :)

Plus our forward line needs development, is Bennetts, Scaife, Ramsden O’Sullivan Butler going to go on and make first 22? Dear, Chol, Watson, Ginnivan MacDonald Moore and Weddle or Sicily ? Need more forward development too.

Last edited:

I reckon they were re-signed for the year purely for presence. I wouldn't be surprised if they only get five games each next year, filling in when a BHH replacement isn't appropriate for whatever reason. With Frosty's foot injury, I suspect he'll be in a similar situation - first deep backup in the defense.

With Bruest, Gunners, and Frosty out of the first 22, plus the 22 made to 23, that accounts for Day, Battle, and Barras. There will be some fierce competition this summer for those last four or so spots in the 22/23. And I wouldn't be surprised to see some significant (and controversial) movement in who plays each week for the first eight weeks as the coaches settle on what mix makes the team most dangerous.

retire:
Wingard

Delist:
Cooper
O'Sul
Tucker
Phillips

Trade bait:
Reeves?
HH?
Bailey Mac?
Smitch?

Reckon Bennetts gets upgraded to the main list
We need to take two more through the ND- do we have interest in Burgoyne/Ned M?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back