Hawks, Roos or Doggies in Tasmania?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by choppy
Porthos raised the issue of Victorian clubs recieving handouts not me. I just reminded him of this fact.
When exactly did I raise that issue?

Mine was about the draw being made worse because of a bunch of Victorian teams wanting to play home games away, but being so afraid of the travel that the AFL need to rig the draw even more.

You're the fool that thinks loans (we're talking actual loans that get paid back here) are handouts.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

I was of the belief Dandenong was Victoria's second biggest city... well that is what the sign says anyway... maybe there is more then one second....

OK OK, maybe. But Geelong's separate--there's bit of grass and trees between it and Melbourne (or at least there was when I was there last); something like a Newcastle or Wollongong. Dandenong OTOH is part of the Melbourne Metro Area: more like a Parramatta.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

I was of the belief Dandenong was Victoria's second biggest city... well that is what the sign says anyway... maybe there is more then one second....

too true and that is why the casey move isnt a bad one rooboy

Originally posted by Porthos
When exactly did I raise that issue?

Mine was about the draw being made worse because of a bunch of Victorian teams wanting to play home games away, but being so afraid of the travel that the AFL need to rig the draw even more.

You're the fool that thinks loans (we're talking actual loans that get paid back here) are handouts.

When did you raise the issue.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
I think the sort of partial relocation being undertaken by Hawthorn and North Melbourne works well, except for the additional travel burden, which could be managed better by the AFL (with the draw, better deals from airlines, charters for players and fans to have direct flights etc).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great....more part timer interstate sides.

`Ooh, look at all this travel we do. Better get the AFL to help us out.'.

Tourists.

In response to your second point an interest free loan is a handout, I'm not sure why you can't see that. An analogy would be be paying 0% interest on your $500,000 mortgage or say $50,000 in Adelaide. When your house price rises 20% you have recieved a $100,000 handout.

Exaclty the same as Port, they agree to pay their mortgage to the AFL, realise they can't, get an interest free loan, wait for inflation, dividends, proceeds from Waverly of which you contributed nothing to and bingo, you have effectively got your licence for nothing. That my friend is a handout.

I think you should quit whilst ahead. You get a licence for four million, don't have to pay half of it when due and then get a 2 million handout for nothing.

GAME OVER. YOU LOSE

PS I am getting a little tired of this discussion, I prove you wrong everytime, yet you still keep coming back for more.

You should learn like your team, you shall never beat the mighty Rooboys.

When did you raise the issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
I think the sort of partial relocation being undertaken by Hawthorn and North Melbourne works well, except for the additional travel burden, which could be managed better by the AFL (with the draw, better deals from airlines, charters for players and fans to have direct flights etc).

Great....more part timer interstate sides.

`Ooh, look at all this travel we do. Better get the AFL to help us out.'.

Tourists.
You're not doing a very good job of this. Where did I say anything about handouts?

I was talking about the draw and help with `the travel burden', which without a doubt, makes recipient sides (like Hawthorn apparently, getting no additional interstate games)`tourists' - the AFL can't even helped out full time sides like Freo and West Coast, but they can help part-timers. Pretty slack, and every time they make it easier for a part-time interstate side, it forces worse results on the others.

In response to your second point an interest free loan is a handout, I'm not sure why you can't see that. An analogy would be be paying 0% interest on your $500,000 mortgage or say $50,000 in Adelaide. When your house price rises 20% you have recieved a $100,000 handout.
The value of the license was entirely invented by the AFL. Would it have made you feel any better for them to have said that the license fee was worth a smaller amount, but interest was to be paid on it? The end result is the same.

And regarding this Waverley handout, we've received nada from it as yet, and if every club is getting it, is it still a handout?

You talk about inflation

I think you should quit whilst ahead. You get a licence for four million, don't have to pay half of it when due and then get a 2 million handout for nothing.
I have no idea where you're getting this crap about not having to pay half of it when due. Its always been due at the same time to the best of my knowledge.

And again, where did I mention handouts?

Its pretty sad that you keep seeing digs about North Melbourne when they're not there - siege mentality must be a way of life for you. Awwwwwww.

You should learn like your team, you shall never beat the mighty Rooboys. [/B]
Strangely, it doesn't like we'll need to to win the cup this year. Ho hum.

Originally posted by Al Roker

You West Aussies really do live in a nother world don't ya's:rolleyes: I'm in New York & even I know more about Tasmania that you.:eek:

So what was it that I said that was factually inaccurate? They have a declining population, their economy is the weakest in Australia, the unemployment rate is the highest in Australia, the median average wage is the lowest out of any Australian state. And chances are, you'd be hard pressed to find more than one or two thousand people from Hobart that are prepared to go to Launceston 6 times a year, and vice versa. And there is currently no stadium that could support an AFL side full time in either Hobart or Launceston. Tens of millions of dollars would be needed to build one.

Might be a great place to go for a holiday, but would be downright suicide for an AFL club.

Originally posted by Porthos

Its pretty sad that you keep seeing digs about North Melbourne when they're not there - siege mentality must be a way of life for you. Awwwwwww.

Forgive me if I take offence that every second newspaper article, radio broadcast, thread on this board, etc is calling for the total elimination of the club I have supported all my life on the basis that we do not deserve to be in this competition because we don't make the big profits that some clubs do by some quirk of geographic history.

If you had it rammed down your throat every second day that the Port Adelaide Football Club was not going to exist in two years then maybe you would have a seige mentallity as well.

As it stands it appears that within 2 to 4 years I will no longer have the pleasure of taking my two sons, who are now just at an age where they are understanding what football is about, to see AFL, to share the excitement, the highs and lows as I did with my father and then with my mates over the last 25 years because as sure as hell the day North stop playing AFL will be the day I and my kids will have anything to do with football.

And that my friend my makes me extremely angry and ****ed off and if that is having a seige mentallity then so be it. It may be the case that my club is doomed but I sure as hell aint going to see it go without a fight.

Originally posted by Zombie

Clubs like St Kilda, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Geelong should be trying to get relocated otherwise they will not be able to survive as players demand more money and general operating costs increase.

Quite frankly these four teams don't deserve to be in the AFL, can't pay, can't stay.

Aren't you a charmer. All 4 of those clubs have been in the AFL a hell of a long time and all have helped the code a hell of a lot

U get rid of those clubs and you lose thousands upon thousands of supporters, and the AFL will a become a faceless, greedy business, just like the crap American leagues

Forgive me if I take offence that every second newspaper article, radio broadcast, thread on this board, etc is calling for the total elimination of the club I have supported all my life on the basis that we do not deserve to be in this competition because we don't make the big profits that some clubs do by some quirk of geographic history.

If you had it rammed down your throat every second day that the Port Adelaide Football Club was not going to exist in two years then maybe you would have a seige mentallity as well.

As it stands it appears that within 2 to 4 years I will no longer have the pleasure of taking my two sons, who are now just at an age where they are understanding what football is about, to see AFL, to share the excitement, the highs and lows as I did with my father and then with my mates over the last 25 years because as sure as hell the day North stop playing AFL will be the day I and my kids will have anything to do with football.

And that my friend my makes me extremely angry and ****ed off and if that is having a seige mentallity then so be it. It may be the case that my club is doomed but I sure as hell aint going to see it go without a fight.

well said Choppy... people think we will just swap teams... how foolish...

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks, Roos or Doggies in Tasmania?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back