Autopsy Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Yikes I could load up on about 12 players tonight as it was pathetic.

What annoys me is how fricken over coached the game has become.

Backwards, sideways, backwards, starting with 8 on our backline and having zero lead up targets to stop any forward momentum and over possess the ball......... rah...... nightmare to witness.

It's about winning games of football not getting matchfit
Save that shit for Box Hill

I get your frustration, but you're wrong.
That's all it feels like to us. But were not charged with the responsibility of making sure players are ready and able to win the ultimate games.

At different times in a team's development what you're trying to do as a club (coach and admin have to be on the same page) is get down the road towards your goal, and simply playing for the win is counter productive to achieving it.
You won't play kick it long at all costs to ensure a win, because of the habits you can't afford ingrained to win nearly every other game.
You won't play players who get you one step down the track, while knowing you have to replace them before you can get much further than that.

It sucks, but beating Carlton can't be the be all.
The end all is the Cup.
Trust the man who has piloted us down the road before.

Did you see how many times he was the release player from a stoppage?

Go watch the game again. He literally had a hand in almost every second forward foray.

Did we win? Would other teams and coaches be wary of Hartung getting possessions?

We've seen Hartungs ceiling. It isn't good enough for us

I tried to find Hartungs involvement in scores but I couldn't find a good stat. I did look at Goal Assists and he didn't register at all

Jags 17 touches and 10 contested, would be interesting to see his game time, doubt he played more than 65% in total. Pretty happy with his performance, had no impact in the 1st, so really it's a 3qtr performance.

Burton
Omera
Mitchell

These 3 give us hope, need to recruit.
As I've said though tige, is senior AFL footy the place for JOM to blow the cobwebs out??
I find it bewildering that the club thinks it is
Round 22 or not , we are in the business of winning games of football not ****ing about easing injured players back in
That's what the VFL is for

Hate to say it but it almost felt like we wanted to lose tonight, so many missed tackles and poor decisions. Credit to the Blues though, fully deserved the win. Was hoping we could keep the streak going :(

Shoey is cooked, there was a few times I saw him in the middle of 3 Blues players and was just completely at sea, didn't move toward any, no pressure.
Its rare to see him show manic intensity and common to observe him jogging at half pace towards a contest. You could be forgiven for thinking he's been replaced by Aaron Sandilands... minus the contested marking & tap work.

100% anyone that thinks tonight's game was beneficial is dillisioual
Well colour me delusional as f***. I can see the benefit in it , he got better as the game wore on some of his decision making by hand was top shelf , no dinky floater type handball to a bloke about to get hammered but solid handball to a moving target that was generally the longer option of a couple. Plenty to like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As poorly as we played we still haven't conceded over 100 points since round six. The young defence is going to be special in a few years time. What Burton, Sicily, Hardwick, Brand and Glass have done this year is impressive when you consider the midfield being baldy beaten and the amount of inside 50s they've had to defend against each week. A few more years in the system and there's potentially three future All-Australians back there.

Last edited:
Yikes I could load up on about 12 players tonight as it was pathetic.

What annoys me is how fricken over coached the game has become.

Backwards, sideways, backwards, starting with 8 on our backline and having zero lead up targets to stop any forward momentum and over possess the ball......... rah...... nightmare to witness.

Yep. The way a relatively simple game is played these days makes me want to vomit.

:'(:'(:'(.

Positives:
- Gunston shows on-field leadersip.
- Looks like M10 moves temporarily to aisle 40.

Negatives:
- They should closed the gate :mad: it was bloody freezing.
- Hard to sit there and can't do anything to help the boys get over the line.

I feel colder indoors at Etihad than I ever do at the G.

I'm sorry s man but I can't agree
He was horrible and his selection is bewildering
Senior AFL footy is not the place to ease players back into it
That's what the VFL is for

Season's been over for a while. Better to give him the real deal and put some fire in the belly for next season.

I'd love for him to be selected next week if his knee pulls up. Whatever the result is this game has provided more data and information not only to Jags, but the medical and coaching staff on how to better manage him.

The AFL and VFL are completely different beasts. Would rather see Jags struggle and really test his body and the knee than meander around another 30 touch 3 goal easy game in the VFL.

Did we win? Would other teams and coaches be wary of Hartung getting possessions?

I tried to find Hartungs involvement in scores but I couldn't find a good stat. I did look at Goal Assists and he didn't register at all
I agree that Billy will never be the A grader we hoped but a bit rich picking on the poor guy after he was almost best afield tonight and played probably his best game of the season. He's no world beater, but poor timing to pick on him tonight.

So depending on if we win or not, that's how you ultimately judge if a kid is doing his part?

That's just crap. Writing off a 22yr old, is crap. Crap Crap Crap.

Especially after they've played a good game like tonight.

And? I'm talking about the amount of times he was sitting behind McEvoy, being used an outlet.

No, I'm not. Flat track bullies the weaker sides, does not dig in for the hard ball.
Prime example was that inside 50 where all he had to do was step forward and take the contact.
But nope, Luke doesn't like getting dirty. Ty Vickery does the same, this board breaks!

What a load of BS. That was just a great ****ing spoil and sometimes to the opposition player you just say well played.

Breust tackles and chases as well as anyone in the team. However as a forward pocket in a side having a mare of a night, having an impact isn't easy. Carlton aren't a great side themselves so you're flat tracker theory means he should have destroyed them.... but in actuality what happens is that sometimes he plays well against good teams and sometimes he doesn't.... sometimes he plays well against poor teams and sometimes he doesn't.

Been our best forward this year by a mile and in a shit side for taking the ball inside 50, it's getting tiring his name being brought up every time we lose.

Some of the 'supporters' on this board are horribly embarrassing.
Our guys looked tired tonight, were constantly niggled/hassled out of it and penalised for any kind of reaction. Thought Sic was pretty restrained considering the shit he was copping. Would have been nice if he got some protection from the ones supposedly officiating the game.

Same people calling for heads of our 2/3rd tier players are quick to forget those same players helped create this great run in second half of yr. I'm no Hartung fan (yet) but people complaining about his game tonight are kidding themselves, one of our better players just had a couple of poor moments (it happens when you absolutely run yourself into the ground). Shoey coming into our team straightened us up massively over the run, Henderson has been pretty good and he cost us nothing, TOB is young and continues to show glimpses of a decent player. The Brand hate is especially amusing - expecting Rance like performances from a kid, hes shown more than enough to suggest we have a player on our hands

It's been hard watching some players just lose touch this yr, Pop isn't brinigng that same pressure he used to be able to. Without it, he is a liability out there. Same deal as Gibbo, though that was harder to watch cause the fall was greater. S
Glad they gave JOM a run in the 1's. This season was done in terms of finals before we started, better to give him a chance to acclimatise back to AFL standards. Forget the short game, the club is looking long term and I think are doing a great damn job so far

Still think the future is bright for us even if we don't land someone huge this year. Has been great watching the club switch things up after a disastrous start when our old guys just couldn't get it done (through injury and form). Our midfield doesn't read too badly with Mitchell, JOM, Howe, Shiels, Smith, Burton (cmon!) in it....
One of the biggest disappointments this year was O'Rourke and Lovell getting injured. Would have loved for one of those two - especially O'Rourke - to step up and make it

The ones crying about not winning every game and a flag every year just don't get it, and aren't worth wasting your time over
Take a breath, reload to send one of our greatest ever off with a bang next week. It's going to hurt not being able to watch Hodgey each week next yr :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back