Preview Hawks v Cats - ins, outs and general prognostications

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't fully agree with this. His pressure is amazing no doubt. But he doesn't get much of the ball, he's not kicking goals (only 6 this year) and he often makes terrible decisions under pressure. ie the flying kick out of the air that cost us the geelong game last year.

The grunt work he does makes up for other deficiencies he may have, Imo he isn't in the side to kick goals they are a bonus, he is there to provide manic pressure and intensity around the ground so we gain an ascendency

The grunt work he does makes up for other deficiencies he may have, Imo he isn't in the side to kick goals they are a bonus, he is there to provide manic pressure and intensity around the ground so we gain an ascendency

Thats why I believe he would make a great sub. He would be completely manic for the whole last quarter. Just think Simpkin adds a bit more at this stage but obviously in the minority there!

We have won at least 2 or 3 games recently by getting smashed in every KPI but we have taken our chances in front of goal. Thats what we need to do Saturday night. We are too evely matched for much else to make a difference. They will struggle to stop our runs and we will struggle to stop theirs. Both teams are TOO good to be stopped when they are on a run. it will be who makes the most of their run and takes their chances when they are controlling the game. I would say half the losses to the Cats in the last 4 years have been because they have taken their chances and we have squandered some of ours. Sometimes this looks like they are "lucky" but it is just that they make the most of what they have earn't when they have been in controll.

Take your chances Hawks and all will be well.

Thats why I believe he would make a great sub. He would be completely manic for the whole last quarter. Just think Simpkin adds a bit more at this stage but obviously in the minority there!

Simpkin can't atm provide what poppy can, relentless intensity, 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts and blistering speed which allows him to burst free of stoppages. Simpkin gets a bit of the ball, has a bit of speed and decent disposal. If he can get the inside game as part of his resume than he would be considered more important to the team imo.

We have won at least 2 or 3 games recently by getting smashed in every KPI but we have taken our chances in front of goal. Thats what we need to do Saturday night. We are too evely matched for much else to make a difference. They will struggle to stop our runs and we will struggle to stop theirs. Both teams are TOO good to be stopped when they are on a run. it will be who makes the most of their run and takes their chances when they are controlling the game. I would say half the losses to the Cats in the last 4 years have been because they have taken their chances and we have squandered some of ours. Sometimes this looks like they are "lucky" but it is just that they make the most of what they have earn't when they have been in controll.

Spot on, That's why these games are a showpiece of this great game, You have the 2 best exponents of free wheeling offensive football in the game going head to head. Ross Lyon should pay attention watching this game as to what good football is about.

Also its a sign our defense has been immense this year despite getting beaten in key areas in games. Hopefully it continues.

It's actually a brilliant game to watch but i get your point. Ill be attending a party tomorrow night so wont be going, nor will be able to watch it properly on TV. I will be spewing if we get up and win and im not able to see it in the flesh as it happens. I guess the AFL site and the replay would have to do.
Yeah they would be great games to watch if you cared about neither team! Oh the agony!

Because Simpkin is playing some of their supporters can't see how were a better team, The old "If he couldn't get a game with us" routine. Must be forgetting Mcglynn and Kennedy who went from a good team to another good team, similar scenario here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't fully agree with this. His pressure is amazing no doubt. But he doesn't get much of the ball, he's not kicking goals (only 6 this year) and he often makes terrible decisions under pressure. ie the flying kick out of the air that cost us the geelong game last year.

Poo has a specific role. Its a negative one. He isn't judged on goals or assists or how much ball he gets, he's in there purely to thwart opposition backlines settting up easy ball at will. There is more to this game than just having purely offensive weapons. He is just as important as others in our side.

There is only one thing that our EX President, Jeff Kennett, I want HIM to do; Admit he was WRONG when he made that stupid remark, and that stupid curse should be lifted!!:D
Can we find a witch that can put a curse on the Rats? Now that would be heaven on earth:p

If Poo could learn some composure and accuracy around goals he'd be an outright gun.

His whole kicking action just looks like it's going to miss the target.

Who were missing Barlow and Mundy to add to the injuries they already had. Over rated win. Freo will always struggle while they try to win games with 10 goals - especially against sides like the Hawks and Cats who can pile them on quickly. Add the home ground to the missing Freo players and Geelong had this game in the bag before it started.
No Chapman, Stevie j, Varcoe, rivers.
Geelong won because of having a dominant no. 1 ruckman for the 1st time in 2 years. More clearances.
I admire the confidence on this board. Wish I was this confident when I was younger It may have made me more successful. Then again, you should be confidant, its hawks strongest side this year, pressure is on your lot. I prefer cats to be underdogs like last game, and the game before that, and that one, etc. ;)

Geelong won because of having a dominant no. 1 ruckman for the 1st time in 2 years. More clearances.
I admire the confidence on this board. Wish I was this confident when I was younger It may have made me more successful. Then again, you should be confidant, its hawks strongest side this year, pressure is on your lot. I prefer cats to be underdogs like last game, and the game before that, and that one, etc. ;)

I'm not confident at all. I'm a nervous wreck.

I agree you had players out too, but in the scheme of things them missing Mundy, Barlow, Pav etc and travelling down to Geelong for a night game in the middle of winter always lent itself to a Cats win IMO. You guys also had some bruised egos from last year.

Great in theory, but that has never worked - teams drop two players back on him and he dries up. No doubt he can beat two players, but he does that more consistently in mad scrambling mode than he does as the single, designated go to target.
He's a great leading forward when we structure the forward line around that.

But anyone who has done 2on1 practice at training knows that you feel pig rooted after one or two goes at it. Basing our entire scoring strategy around this is a little flawed.

If Poo could learn some composure and accuracy around goals he'd be an outright gun.

His whole kicking action just looks like it's going to miss the target.

I think his kicking action is a bad habit he picked up in his previous occupation ...

mXPfn

;)

haha Simpson was dominant over Freo's fourth string ruckman? They had litterally their best 4 players missing plus others. Stevie J is a big out but Chappy is near the end, Varcoe is ok and Rivers is a little less than ok. Appreciate they are important to your side but their outs would be the equivilant of missing Selwood, Kelly, Stevie J and H.Taylor.

So you won more clearances against a Freo side that had no Sandilands, Mundy or Barlow?

I see it, but I don't believe it.

You read the Cats board champ? Hawkins will do this, Pods will do that. Rinse and repeat. We are as much favourites on this board as you are on your own board. Don't read too much in to it ;)

Cyril, I have asked for his help every single time and he is just not listening to me.
But I'll keep trying and who knows, maybe this weekend he'll deliver!!:)

Cyril is not the Messiah!

(Not yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back