Game Day Hawks v Pies official practice game - Thursday March 2 @ 5:10pm - UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Few observation,

• Wow I really think I like Adams as a forward? He looks fast, dangerous and seems to get to good spots.
  • Hill is obviously silk
  • I also think Lipinski has looked very very good this preseason, I've noticed him everytime we've played.
  • Our defence is incredibly suss atm: I start to feel as though having a smaller more mobile defence suits us better, so far frampton doesn't appear to be complimenting our mix. We're probably putting in minimal effort though, so there is that.
Frampton has been fine/good today, he hasn't been an issue at all. Our overall manning has just been too loose, too many covering space and not enough blokes having touch.
Browny touched on it before though too, we push up really aggressively and we are susceptible to being exposed on turnover or when teams get a quick clearance which has happened a few times today.

I’m trying not to get too triggered by umpiring in a preseason game, but how can you penalise a guy for hanging onto a tackle but happily let the player he tackled get away with just letting go of the ball? Never change umps.

That would never have been a free kick back in the day. Do umpires not understand basic physics?

We can't bring this level of defense into season proper that's for sure.

This is quite possibly the lowest level of forward line we'll play against. Legitimately bottom of the barrel.

Too many good forward lines this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frampton has been fine/good today, he hasn't been an issue at all. Our overall manning has just been too loose, too many covering space and not enough blokes having touch.
Browny touched on it before though too, we push up really aggressively and we are susceptible to being smoked on turnover or when teams get a quick clearance which has happened a few times today.

I can't say I disagree (tbh i've barely noticed him at all) and I would say you're right.
I guess i'm just a little anxious about our defensive group over this preseason - it feels like our early 2022 defence with Jack Madgen, which despite wishing him all the best I wasn't overly enamoured with. I feel (key word, feel!) that the best of collingwood over the last 5 years has been a smaller mix that gets around and I just hope we don't force it

I can't say I disagree (tbh i've barely noticed him at all) and I would say you're right.
I guess i'm just a little anxious about our defensive group over this preseason - it feels like our early 2022 defence with Jack Madgen, which despite wishing him all the best I wasn't overly enamoured with. I feel (key word, feel!) that the best of collingwood over the last 5 years has been a smaller mix that gets around and I just hope we don't force it

Regardless of the mix, we ultimately need two key tall defenders else we are left with Murphy, Howe or Maynard playing well above their height/weight and that was a constant issue with our mix last year.
We also don't want Moore tied up in the square on monsters like Hawkins or Lynch. Our best balance has two tall key defenders ideally with Moore on the second fiddle; with Dean out, Frampton deserves his shot.

I think it's indisputable that our best mix over the last 5 years was one that consisted of Roughead and Moore, aka two key tall defenders.

Last edited:
I’m hoping there’s an explanation for how this defence is playing. Because Christ almighty they’ve been seriously bad.

They’re not actually defending but on the flip side, they’re not setting up attacks either.

They’ve just been really really bad all round.

TBH I think the old fellas in the side are wisely playing at 50%. Pendles isn't at top speed, Howie is doing his thing but keeping contact to a minimum. I just think we're still concentrating on our speed game and not enough on our slow game. 3rd quarter would be a great time to play lock-down footy - not because we care about the outcome, just want to take the game away from Hawks. Jeez the big Kositch can take a grab!

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Hawks v Pies official practice game - Thursday March 2 @ 5:10pm - UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back