Autopsy Hawks v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched it again. Just a small highlight that stuck out to me was Whitecross' pick up of the ball at the centre bounce after Breusts amazing goal from the boundary. He is running towards it with one arm being held and manages to pick the ball up and break free from his opponent.

Just watching the replay too. This 3rd quarter is simply stunning. How was that passage of play with a bit over 5 minutes to go in the quarter, with a series of lightning handballs resulting in a Young goal. The commentator said it was like the 'Harlem Globetrotters', and he was spot on. It was champagne, premiership football. It was magic to my eyes watching at the time, and amazing again on the replay.

The Birchall intercept in the 3rd made me laugh. Brilliant stuff.

The game reminds me of the way we beat them in round 7 2008 & kicked 10 in the last quarter. We were really impressive.

Watch out. We are coming. Crush Essendon.

Don't believe the hype as to the baby Pies that is going around the forum (debuted 8 kids this year, etc). Check out this stat:
Total Players By Games​
Collingwood Games Hawthorn​
7 Less than 50 10​
6 50 to 99 4​
4 100 to 149 5​
5 150 or more 3​

Really shows that the Hawks are actually playing more inexperienced players than the Pies. Our inexperienced players are definitely much better equiped than the Pies inexperienced players are. Just consider how important Bruest, Whitecross and Gunston were to the win. Compare that with the Pies young players - only Fasolo would have got anywhere near a pass mark.

Just watching the replay too. This 3rd quarter is simply stunning. How was that passage of play with a bit over 5 minutes to go in the quarter, with a series of lightning handballs resulting in a Young goal. The commentator said it was like the 'Harlem Globetrotters', and he was spot on. It was champagne, premiership football. It was magic to my eyes watching at the time, and amazing again on the replay.
Brilliant. I was sitting near where it started - blew me away!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a lot of love for Stratton on here......his past month has been very very good.
you beat me to it.

He was great on the weekend and has been solid the last few weeks. He looks a bit stronger this year too and seems to be able to exert more of a physical presence.

So, is it fair to say that both Shiels (Beams) and Cheney (Swan) didn't have great games?

Shiels was on Thomas and did well. Cheney did play on Swan for a portion of the game and did get a lesson from Swan but there's not too many who wouldn't have in the league. Interesting to see if Clarkson is trying to mold Cheney into a tagger, I don't think it'll work but the club knows the players better than I do.

Don't believe the hype as to the baby Pies that is going around the forum (debuted 8 kids this year, etc). Check out this stat:
Total Players By Games​
Collingwood Games Hawthorn​
7 Less than 50 10​
6 50 to 99 4​
4 100 to 149 5​
5 150 or more 3​

Really shows that the Hawks are actually playing more inexperienced players than the Pies. Our inexperienced players are definitely much better equiped than the Pies inexperienced players are. Just consider how important Bruest, Whitecross and Gunston were to the win. Compare that with the Pies young players - only Fasolo would have got anywhere near a pass mark.

In the Pies defense their interchange was shockingly inexperienced. Mooney, Young, Seedsman and Elliot just aren't ready for finals type football. Our youngsters at least had a year of senior footy I believe if not two.

Although I wasn't thinking that game, I thought a similar thing. It is as good as I have seen the Hawks play since the 80's. In 2008 they got over the line based on a few massive individual efforts. This year, like those glory years, you have a dozen players that are as good as each other.

What I found most impressive about today's win was the fact that nothing seemed to rattle them. I think a few weeks ago, the turn over goals and unlucky bounce stuff would have thrown them right off. Today, it was like water off a ducks back, they just got back on track and never really looked like losing. That resolve has not been there in big games. I am still a bit wary of the Jekyll and Hyde factor, but may be they are finally sorting that out. Finally flogging Geelong will be massive with respect to saying goodbye to Mr Hyde.

Some of the goals were just a joy to watch. Seriously gave beauty in football meaning.

I've just watched that about 8 times, that is just sporting magic. Supreme understanding between team mates, that's one of the best pieces of play I've seen from the modern Hawks. Breathtaking. Play like that and the Flag is ours.
Maybe I'm overstating it, but I just love that stuff...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back