Autopsy Hawks v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Hale had an outstanding game yesterday. He dominated in the ruck. Probably the best game I have seen from him in Hawthorn colours. Also, in the past I have been hard on Shoey but he really held his own and then some against Travis "Million Bucks" Choke. And what a year Lewis is having. I was really nervous going into this game. Lucky I was up in Q54 and surrounded by my fellow Hawthorn supporters and didn't have to hear the LOOOOLLLLingwood chant. Great game by Hawthorn. But its just that a game. Got to push on and get the wins against Essendon and finally put Geelong away.

I can't remember the last time after the game I have felt that we have belted a top class team. The last time I remember was the 08 finals. Its either been close wins against them or we have lost since then

We thrashed Adelaide earlier this year but it didn't feel like they were a good team at the time

The last time I remember was the 08 finals. Its either been close wins against them or we have lost since then

Yesterday was the first time i've felt like we were back to 2008 levels. The big tests keep coming. If we are complacent against Essendon, like a few years ago where we were absolute certs and got belted at Etihad. Geelong, Sydney away, WCE...lots of big pressure matches.

A very very comprehensive dismantling of a very good team.

Clarko and the coaches were spot on in the way they made Maxwell and Shaw accountable.

Hodge, Buddy, Goo to come back in and blokes like Bailey, Changa, Ellis for depth/ backup.

Things look great at this stage. :thumbsu:

I can't remember the last time after the game I have felt that we have belted a top class team. The last time I remember was the 08 finals. Its either been close wins against them or we have lost since then

We thrashed Adelaide earlier this year but it didn't feel like they were a good team at the time
Well, in 2008 we lost all the important games against the other top 4 teams, St Kilda, Bulldogs, Geelong. It wasn't until the finals that we learned to put them away (which we did in such grey style).

This was a mid-season win of the ilk I haven't seen in Clako's reign. Great fun, this is why you go to the footy.

This was one of the first games I have missed in years unfortunately , can anybody enlighten me as to how Isaac Smith played and how shane savage played, thanks.

This was one of the first games I have missed in years unfortunately , can anybody enlighten me as to how Isaac Smith played and how shane savage played, thanks.
Smithy's best game over last 3 weeks.
Sav was Sub - came on last qtr and did a couple of good things

All, if you don't respect Nathan Buckley you will after you hear his post match address. I like the pointed call to Dane Swan about winning the hard ball, 50 possessions means nothing. Really honest speech, didn't hear Clokes name but I'm sure he got a spray.

Buckleys spray could be heard across the G yesterday.

Language warning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jolly is so important to Collingwood. Geelong won last year’s grannie at the opening bounce when Ottens deliberately took out Jolly rendering him completely ineffectual for the rest of the game. Collingwood players immediately dropped their heads and the rest is history.

At yesterday’s opening bounce, I was desperate to see Hale do the same. Just flatten the B – he won’t come back. Hale didn’t, instead he played out of his skin and was completely dominant. Definitely one of the unsung heroes and was a core reason for Hawthorn’s success.

We lost last year’s Prelim because of Collingwood’s ability to lock the ball in their forward half and our inability to win a stoppage. They won the stoppages, kicked the vital goals, and won the game. Yesterday they hardly won a stoppage in their forward half possibly due to the ineffectivenss of Jolly but more so specific coaching by Hawthorn. They identified the problem and set about countering it.

I have always believed that our window of opportunity would open in 2011. My only caveat to that was Clarkson’s game plan based on an over reliance of precise kicking. It only needed poor playing conditions; poor ground surface and a few players to be off their game and the whole thing would collapse around his ears. Hawthorn, like every club, still strive for precise kicking but the plan is now so much more complete. Attacking football has now taken precedence and play on at all costs has become the main emphasis along with pressure and tackling - classic retro football.

The current Forward set up can, even now, be compared with the best ever and almost certainly become the best in the clubs history
Franklin 25
Roughead 25
Rioli 22
Bruest 21
Gunston 20
Should I mention Lewis 26
Seven years of magic.

Mitchell, what is left to say of him? Well, one thing. Greg Williams had one set of eyes; Mitchell has four – one in front two at the side and one in the back of his head. It is time commentators stopped stating that Mitch is inferior to Williams. Mitchell’s lightning hand balls under pressure are something that has never been seen before.

Sewell – What a bull.

Burgoyne – Made a few mistakes but when he decides to take on the opposition, he is unstoppable.

Roughy - Classic ruck rover

Franklin and Mitchell are already in the realms of greatness. Roughead, Riolli, Lewis, Birchall, and Sewell are on the cusp and not far behind is a player, who two years ago was an unknown - Bruest

When players such as Whitecross, Gibson, Guerra, Schoenmakers, and Shiels are added, the future looks bright. And of course, there is our Captain.

If Bailey can demonstrate ruck dominance and the ability to take relieving marks in defence and around the ground, then I believe that Hale and Bailey easily fit in our best 22. Do not forget that Ruckmen are on ballers.

If Nathan Buckley is Fig Jam then is Swann Wool Stockings?

Hey Mods. Any system that decapitates the greatest player of all time should be hung drawn quartered buried and burnt. Please fix

Didn't get to see the game today, as Australia Network decided the Crows v Eagles match was more important! So, apart from everyone being completely awesome, how did Smith, Cheney and Puopolo do? Would ask about Murphy, but there is no point...

Sign up for www.afl.livesport.tv and watch it live streamed over the internet. And the replays. Thats what I did yesterday. Awesome.

All, if you don't respect Nathan Buckley you will after you hear his post match address. I like the pointed call to Dane Swan about winning the hard ball, 50 possessions means nothing. Really honest speech, didn't hear Clokes name but I'm sure he got a spray.

Buckleys spray could be heard across the G yesterday.

Language warning.

You can hear people laughing in the background of that clip, which ruins it.

Other notes.

Suckling was tagged by Goldsack for a lot of the game and beaten. This is the first time I've seen Suckling be tagged and not go to water so that was fantastic.

Secondly regardless what the haters say, Rioli is the best forward pockt in the AFL bar none.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back