Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

You pick the best 22 based on who is available and who is in form. Am I missing something?

Our recent premiership teams had 30 players who could step into the team "plug and play". We've perhaps got the start of regenerating something like that again. But it's only a start.

There is no point in having players on decent money playing for Box Hill... I think you are missing something

I agree.

I have thought the same about Gibbo all season, you could tell his heart and body wasn't up to the challenge anymore.

Chip I was less convinced about, and I will probably get smashed for saying this but how he plays frustrates the hell out of me. I think Chip he is a pure defensive player, who is slower than our current defenders. No doubt he is at AFL level and would get a game at most teams, but not sure that he fits in our new look team. With all the talk of possible trade currency he would be the one I would consider shopping around, I think he would have a fair amount of value on the market and our youngsters have him covered.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

A fit Chip plays vs GWS and Geelong and we go a step closer to winning both those games. The youth have been great, sometimes you need the right man for the job.

A fit Chip plays vs GWS and Geelong and we go a step closer to winning both those games. The youth have been great, sometimes you need the right man for the job.
Possibly, which is why you would only trade Chip to improve our position. If he could help us get a younger and more versatile defender we should consider it.

Don't all break your arms patting yourselves on the back...

Clarkson should be thanking his lucky stars that injury forced him to replan his approach to this season. If only he had been smart enough to listen to the doomsdayers here ten it would have been cherry ripe in round 3 and we would be top of the ladder.

Clarkson is such an idiot. All this stress and work on his part when the answer was so obvious.

I certainly wasn't having a dig at Clarko at all!
I'm sure he would have loved to give the kids more game before this season but with a top 4 & premiership team/s ripping the AFL a new one there was little room for experimentation.

There have been numerous posters pointing out that Gibson, Stratts, Poppy, Doc, Shiels, Breust, Gunston Hodge,& big Rough have been far from their best from as early as the Melbourne loss last year & it carried into this season.

My point was that form & not favouritism should have had a larger part in selection for a long time as the kids have shown that most are capable of senior football.

My swipe is at all of the "Loyalists" who think that the sun shines out of every players *^%# that has played in a premiership & don't figure that there are others that have a different skill set & attitude that may have changed the outcome of more than a couple of games.

As far as the top of the ladder goes....
We are 2 wins out of the 8 & geve beaten top teams & given others a run for their money. Injuries have cost us a couple of games but running out the same old faces would have cost us more this year.

I am happy that opportunity has presented for the kids & in doing so I hope we can swing a couple of sweet ass trades with guys like Stratts & Poppy to get back in the draft or assist in getting whoever we are targeting. .... but that's just me as a "Loyalist" to winning rather than to the sympathetic view to individual players with a "hero" tag

C
Possibly, which is why you would only trade Chip to improve our position. If he could help us get a younger and more versatile defender we should consider it.

Chip is in his prime, why would you get rid of him, on the chance of something better?
I agree his disposale is awkward and he not an attacking weapon but you do need to be able to shut down big fast forwards. Watch his job in the 2015 GF to remind yourself of his worth. Kennedy had been awsome all season and was Frawley's bitch that afternoon.
Every player cannot be perfect but a mix of the right players can make a near perfect team, that is the Hawthorn way.

C

Chip is in his prime, why would you get rid of him, on the chance of something better?
I agree his disposale is awkward and he not an attacking weapon but you do need to be able to shut down big fast forwards. Watch his job in the 2015 GF to remind yourself of his worth. Kennedy had been awsome all season and was Frawley's bitch that afternoon.
Every player cannot be perfect but a mix of the right players can make a near perfect team, that is the Hawthorn way.
He is 29 this year, if he could help us facilitate a trade for someone like Lever we should be all in. But if we can't lock in a proven young gun agree we should keep him.

Such a fruatrating season, we have shown in the last two months what we are capable of.
We've played the only four teams with any chance of winning the Premiership in that time frame, beaten two of them on their own grounds, drew with another and poor kicking for goal and just a brain fade at the end of the match cost us the other game.

For all your dismissiveness, the fact remains that you woefully misdiagnose the resurgence. While it's true the backline has done very well recently, the reason is that the midfield has come together. Footy is won and lost in the midfield. Always has been and always will be. The first half of the year was a shambles in the midfield. Significant player turnover, injuries, new contested-centric setup (thanks Brishawk for the tip).

Clarko always knew this would be the case with Mitch and Lewis out. So the plan was (from observation) to keep forward and back steady while the new midfield learned to play. But the front line was starved of quality opportunities and backline was getting shelled like the trenches of Verdun. Play at both ends looked horrid all due to the midfield performance. And then injuries started to pile up in the superstars at both ends. Wow! How could that be? Might it have something to do with them overplaying in order to stem the bleeding? Or could it be that they all just suck? You and your back patting cadre unwisely barked out "Suck!"

Now, lo and behild, the midfield is gelling. Since the bye Mitchell has learned his role in the scheme of play (or does Hodge suck too when in an interview after the Adelaide victory he said essentially, "Mitch is a fantasticly competitive constested-ball guy but he has to learn his role in defense as well, which he's starting to do"?). Shiels is getting big contested possessions as well, showing all ball-hunting skills and moving on from his tagging role. Howe has taken tagging duties with a flair. Langford is back in his best mid-fwd role. Billy is running. Hendo has settled into a role. It's all clicking in the midfield. And look what's happening.

So you could go back and read all the "sack the senior players" posts and think you're reading a modern-day Nostradamus. Or you could go back and read the olay dissection posts from Brishawk and actually learn something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no point in having players on decent money playing for Box Hill... I think you are missing something

Are you working on the presumption that the side you watched last night is our best 22? And anyone sitting outside that "on decent money" is now surplus to requirements?

Please tell me how you see this working out.

I think we do. We do not have a lot of picks and I would like an another young insider and maybe an outside runner.

But that's my view.

I'd hate to see us put a senior player up for trade simply to trade back into the first or early second round. It's a strategy most clubs will see coming.

Looking forward to watching the replay today. Chip to full forward, pre-season with the forwards, Rough to CHF - Schoey depth. Chip has played there before and can mark a footy. Will be a good stop gap till Lynch arrives end of 2018. :straining:

Are you working on the presumption that the side you watched last night is our best 22? And anyone sitting outside that "on decent money" is now surplus to requirements?

Please tell me how you see this working out.

Too right, injury to big boy and TV is essential. There's some depth players doing well in roles in the treat at the moment, they're a few years off retirement so unless someone is paying overs, more value contracted at the club

Young talls comprising ceglar obrien gunston Sicily brand (who showed his speed last night) is very flexible

I see we don't have a problem with big midfielders either any more

I'd hate to see us put a senior player up for trade simply to trade back into the first or early second round. It's a strategy most clubs will see coming.

Also if you court a player then move them on quickly, it puts a huge dent in destination club credentials. They have to think it's their idea.

Also if you court a player then move them on quickly, it puts a huge dent in destination club credentials. They have to think it's their idea.
I agree with this. For me - like I posted earlier, it's about a trade to a team that is seriously contending and need that extra piece. Player is happy and destination team pays up big due to the need. Similar to when we got Lake. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be an overly popular view around here but I wouldn't even be slightly surprised if it happens

Not just picks - players

But I think it is not a time to get overly conservative basically. Not suggesting wholesale player auctions - maybe something in the middle

There may be players looking to leave and there is the opportunity I'd say, but we'll have cap space this off season along with most other teams.

We made a decision to trade out of the first round this year to get JOM. Shouldn't change direction now.

Too right, injury to big boy and TV is essential. There's some depth players doing well in roles in the treat at the moment, they're a few years off retirement so unless someone is paying overs, more value contracted at the club

Young talls comprising ceglar obrien gunston Sicily brand (who showed his speed last night) is very flexible

I see we don't have a problem with big midfielders either any more
Depth for mids is ok? Really? Love Dan Howe and Mitchell but where is the depth beyond that? Langers, Shiels...all played last night.

JOM - sorry forgot

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back