Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Depth for mids is ok? Really? Love Dan Howe and Mitchell but where is the depth beyond that? Langers, Shiels...all played last night.

JOM - sorry forgot

I agree we need to load up on mids. Been quite unlucky in that regard

I agree with this. For me - like I posted earlier, it's about a trade to a team that is seriously contending and need that extra piece. Player is happy and destination team pays up big due to the need. Similar to when we got Lake. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be an overly popular view around here but I wouldn't even be slightly surprised if it happens

That assumes we wont be contending for a few years. Clarko seems to think quite soon.
We are protecting our defence with numbers at the moment like 2012 then we got a great stopper in lake. Who was significantly older than Frawley is now. And we went from just winning to thrashing top teams as the numbers didn't need to roll back as much

I agree with this. For me - like I posted earlier, it's about a trade to a team that is seriously contending and need that extra piece. Player is happy and destination team pays up big due to the need. Similar to when we got Lake. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be an overly popular view around here but I wouldn't even be slightly surprised if it happens

Mitch, Lewis and Hill moved on so anything is possible. We all love our three peat stars, but in my opinion it comes down to grammar! Past or future? The past are probably worth more on the market, but less to the club than the future (kids.) If we replace the kids with older players this year there will be some money offered by rival clubs, so I think some of the senior guys will be with other clubs in 2018. Lets hope we get some good dears.

Depth for mids is ok? Really? Love Dan Howe and Mitchell but where is the depth beyond that? Langers, Shiels...all played last night.

JOM - sorry forgot
What I really want to see is this:

1. Defenders come back from injury releasing Burton into the midfield.
2. JOM fit and health
3. Acquisition of another quality mid.

Mitchell + JOM + Burton + other. That's the midfield we need.
Shiels, Howe, Langford, Burgoyne, Rioli, Roughead, Breust can all rotate through after that.

2. JOM fit and health

Shiels, Howe, Langford, Burgoyne, Rioli, Roughead, Breust can all rotate through after that.
Yeah - Burton (pleasantly) complicates things. Trading out a defender to get a mid when in actual fact we can just move Ernie in the middle changes things a lot. That said Ernie might be a Hodge type - stints in the middle but principally a defender

We are all guessing though and thinking we know what we're talking about (me more than most). Welcome to Bigfooty

2. JOM fit and health

I reckon this is the plan. I hope it comes off.

Yeah - Burton (pleasantly) complicates things. Trading out a defender to get a mid when in actual fact we can just move Ernie in the middle changes things a lot. That said Ernie might be a Hodge type - stints in the middle but principally a defender

We are all guessing though and thinking we know what we're talking about (me more than most). Welcome to Bigfooty

Why the urge to trade defenders? With Hodge retiring (Gibbo too would be my guess. I bet he was going to run another year but now I'm not sure) then we don't have too much tradable material. We're actually short if Burton moves to the midfield. We've got Stratts, Birch (just one or two years left in him) and Chip coming back from injury. Thats three to fill for the three departures, and what about depth for injury? Move Gunston back forward with the retuning injured talent and that's another spot to fill.

I'm not sure we're as rich as we think in disposable tradable material. Add Fitz and JOR to the list of potential departures as injury has robbed them of opportunity and the bench is getting very thin.

This off season will be an FA push, I believe. Trades, if they happen, will likely be for hidden leftovers, like Hendo.

Why the urge to trade defenders? With Hodge retiring (Gibbo too would be my guess. I bet he was going to run another year but now I'm not sure) then we don't have too much tradable material. We're actually short if Burton moves to the midfield. We've got Stratts, Birch (just one or two years left in him) and Chip coming back from injury. Thats three to fill for the three departures, and what about depth for injury? Move Gunston back forward with the retuning injured talent and that's another spot to fill.

I'm not sure we're as rich as we think in disposable tradable material. Add Fitz and JOR to the list of potential departures as injury has robbed them of opportunity and the bench is getting very thin.

This off season will be an FA push, I believe. Trades, if they happen, will likely be for hidden leftovers, like Hendo.
If not a FA how else do we get in that prized mid (if we assume we need another one and I think you, Pess and I are). Maybe future firsts etc...

Abasi is probably not that far away from saying this is getting into hypoethical trade territory but I'm talking pretty generally here.

I may just be proposing the trade of ONE decent defender - that's all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you've given the game away now AS so it won't be that good
It's like waiting for Robert Handley to dominate so I can yell in my best Arnie voice: 'Get to the Chopper!'

Sometimes they never see the light of day (while every other Hawks poster high fives in gratitude).

It's like waiting for Robert Handley to dominate so I can yell in my best Arnie voice: 'Get to the Chopper!'

Sometimes they never see the light of day (while every other Hawks poster high fives in gratitude).
I've been waiting years to just refer to my own username after a game...(!!)

Spare a thought

No but he can play on 175cm-193cm guys. Who else does it as good as him?

I'm with you on that, it was just the versatility part I was hung up on.....

I guess the part that worries me with Stratts is the lack of rebound, but even more importantly being a part of rebound.
With the high press most clubs use when they've got you pinned in the back half, if you have a player that doesn't find space, doesn't offer run, can't use his disposal to break up the defense, then you're playing one down.

Game has changed to a bunch of ruck rovers running around the fields, and Stratts is pure throwback.
I'm sure he can work in, but like others - I don't want to mess with the running mojo we currently have in that half.
For all your Chip-picking, he DOES always offer an overlap for handball, sideways kick, etc... AND I don't think his disposal is nearly as bad as is made out. His 15m - 30m passes are usually pretty good.
JMO.

I'm with you on that, it was just the versatility part I was hung up on.....

I guess the part that worries me with Stratts is the lack of rebound, but even more importantly being a part of rebound.
With the high press most clubs use when they've got you pinned in the back half, if you have a player that doesn't find space, doesn't offer run, can't use his disposal to break up the defense, then you're playing one down.

Game has changed to a bunch of ruck rovers running around the fields, and Stratts is pure throwback.
I'm sure he can work in, but like others - I don't want to mess with the running mojo we currently have in that half.
For all your Chip-picking, he DOES always offer an overlap for handball, sideways kick, etc... AND I don't think his disposal is nearly as bad as is made out. His 15m - 30m passes are usually pretty good.
JMO.
What's JMO - judge my opinion? :p

Looking forward to watching the replay today. Chip to full forward, pre-season with the forwards, Rough to CHF - Schoey depth. Chip has played there before and can mark a footy. Will be a good stop gap till Lynch arrives end of 2018. :straining:

I actually don't mind his as an idea!
He might have played there before, but he was poor at it!
Chip is our lock-down defender on the big forwards
Talk of him moving forward is ridiculous

i dont get all the trade talk of established AFL talent, seeing as we have a deficit of talent not a surplus...

i've spent a long time trying to find reasons why some clubs are in the bottom 4 and others the top 4, 1 thing bottom 4 teams have in common is not having 22 players of AFL standard (hoping youngsters will fit gaps) and top 4 teams tend to have squads of 30 AFL standard players, this i learnt from struggling to put a HFC team together during the 90's and noticing we had such strong squads in our challenge/premiership years

another factor is fitness and having players in good condition which half of the league lacks even in modern football, we have Andrew Russel and his conditioning staff which have been the best in the business for over 20 years, they were there when Port Adel were the top of the league for about 5 years and choked in finals and he was there when Essendon were aparently the best team of the century, these are not coincidences

also having determined leaders such as Kennett/Newbold, Clarko and Dunstall who all have passion and desire for success above all else.

so going back to trading out players, if i was generous, i would say we have approx 24-28 AFL standard players atm(this squad would put us mid table with a chance for top 4) now that a bunch of youngsters have stepped up to the plate. Burgoyne, Roughead, Puopolo and Birchall are all considered veterans and are unlikely to be here for the long haul so thats also something to ponder.

(for mine Gibson HAS to retire, i think we could do better than Frawley, Vickery, Schoenmakers, Langford, Hartung, O'Brien, Stewart, Willsmore but keeping some of these as squad players that get opportunities when injuries hit could be a good strategy, the rest use as needed or discard when opportunity arises)

Frawley is probably needed atm, so trading him doesnt seem in our best interests
Vickery i have no idea why we got him tbh
Schoenmakers is good for depth, but not 22 imo, could be tradable
Langford is good for depth
Hartung is depth/tradable
O'Brien is good for depth
Stewart i would prebably delist him, i dont think he will be AFL Standard
Willsmore i would delist him i dont think he will be AFL Standard

Last edited:
He is also the only player on our list who can comfortably handle the likes of Franklin and Kennedy

How quickly we forget his 2015 GF performance on Kennedy, nobody else on our list remotely close to being able to replicate that effort. Has also performed as well as anyone on Franklin in the past.

We have probably Gibbo retiring and hodge gone and Gunston our number one goal kicker playing back instead of forward and people are talking trades of any of Frawley, Stratts and Birch - bizzare

Our forward line isn't really functioning and with the return of our backline I can see doing Clarko reinventing again to get some balance back in the forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back