Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Did uou hear cheeky Lakey ask him if he was off to have a Guinness with his friends?

Needs to be careful, could get in trouble a'la Shane Warne :rolleyes:. I love Lakey as a post match interviewer though, classic. Let em have a bit of fun with the players!

The comment isn't odd. It means to be whipped. Struck with a rope. How is delusional self-congratulation self flagellation?
Wow, it appears I must spell this out in blatant, ultra-simplistic terms. Some people like to whip themselves/be whipped or flayed/have pain inflicted upon themselves for their own masochistic pleasure. Have you never heard of this?

Wow, it appears I must spell this out in blatant, ultra-simplistic terms. Some people like to whip themselves/be whipped or flayed/have pain inflicted upon themselves for their own masochistic pleasure. Have you never heard of this?

Pretty much covers most BigFooty posters!

Not in a celebration of a win. Maybe you could have looked up the word first then used it, rather than searching for some get out quick clause after the fact. And if that's not what yoouu did, you may have some issues that you need to get seen to. You think people whip themselves after winning a football match?

Loved the game, Hardwick has such an experienced head on those young shoulders. I thought Glass had fantastic defensive efforts as well, his general reading of the play and that kick (he miskicked unfortunately) to put the ball in the open space at Rough's advantage showed a great knack for the game.

As for this nonsense talk about trading established defenders; I understand the talk about Stratton, we have a few players who can play that role now, but Frawley? Nope. Earlier on this year our midfield did nothing to stem the bleeding and stop the ball from getting to him, he performed well under more pressure than any full back should have to perform under. He probably felt like he was back at Melbourne for the majority of the first half of our season.

He's a strong, quick (not slow, as others have commented) back who actually has reliable disposal by foot when not overly pressured. Bringing Chip back doesn't necessarily mean directly replacing a player from the back line, but possibly moving Burton to other roles and replacing people from other areas of the ground that may be under performing.

Frawley started his first final in the largely unfamiliar environs of the forward line. And if it wasn't a disaster, it wasn't far from it.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/hawtho...emption-of-james-frawley-20151001-gjyszh.html

The context of some of this thread has been trade Frawley, how do we play Brand and Frawley, get games into Brand etc.

I was just and idea. I would hazard a guess he has never done a full pre-season with the forwards in his life. Lake did it during his career, Alastair Lynch did it, McGovern from WC time to time, Tom McDonald,Melbourne currently.

I am full aware that Frawley did not set the world on fire for us in that regard. He was new to the club and to that position. Thanks for the link.

Just an observation:

The good old "quick handpass" used to be called the South Australian throw when I was playing footy as a kid.

Hawks players that I have watched for years are now doing the SA throw sometimes. Obviously it is a league wide problem now that the AFL has ignored.

I suspect that the quick handpass was something Clarko might have raised with the AFL after the loss to the Doggies last year. We know we had 100 tackles and we were rewarded with lees than 8 free kicks in that lost final.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/22/ratings-or-round-18-fremantle-v-hawthorn/

So if I just looked at this I would think it was probably a close win to Hawthorn. BOG was worth 8 out of 10, a few 7s, a few 6s and the rest were 5 and below for us.

And a few 7s, a few 6s and the rest were 5 and below for Freo.

Apparently a kid containing Fyfe and kicking 2 goals is an average game. And 35 possies, a truckload of marks and a goal is an 8.

1 sentence per player which generally just tells you their stats. Just a horrible review. I bet I could do the exact same quality for a game I didnt even see. Check stats sheet, check BOG list and check injury list and off you go.

We're playing eight defenders now as we know the young blokes need support. Works well as a way of protecting our defence, not so well when we force the turnover then have to chip it around the halfback line for half an hour till someone manages to run forward.

Clarko has done a magnificent job of adapting our game plan to cover our deficiencies, which accounts for the turnaround in our fortunes this year, but make no mistake- we're a mid-table team at the moment.

There's also little doubt we'd be a better side with most of our starting backline back in the team (not to mention Cyril & Poppy), as we'd be able to adapt our structure again to be more attacking.

I reckon we're a good chance of threatening again next year if we have a better run with injuries, but I think we'd look a hell of a lot better with Frawley and Stratts back. Would allow us to play Gunston & Sicily forward and both of them can take a mark occasionally- Sicily especially.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This! Chip and Stratts back in the side. Sicily forward, gunners forward / wing / wherever the hell he wants after Saturday. What's interesting is where Langers and Doc go when pop and Cyril are back.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/22/ratings-or-round-18-fremantle-v-hawthorn/

So if I just looked at this I would think it was probably a close win to Hawthorn. BOG was worth 8 out of 10, a few 7s, a few 6s and the rest were 5 and below for us.

And a few 7s, a few 6s and the rest were 5 and below for Freo.

Apparently a kid containing Fyfe and kicking 2 goals is an average game. And 35 possies, a truckload of marks and a goal is an 8.

1 sentence per player which generally just tells you their stats. Just a horrible review. I bet I could do the exact same quality for a game I didnt even see. Check stats sheet, check BOG list and check injury list and off you go.

Hairy O I read those ratings and thought the same and thought this person did not watch the game.

Same with the "best" in the newspapers most weeks.

Will never look at them again.

This! Chip and Stratts back in the side. Sicily forward, gunners forward / wing / wherever the hell he wants after Saturday. What's interesting is where Langers and Doc go when pop and Cyril are back.
To move Sicily forward again when he has been near elite as a half back is counterintuitive for mine. Lets not forget how Sic struggled to get involved as a forward for a good many games. If he maintains his current form at half back over the course of a season he would be close to AA (small sample size I know but he shows no signs of slowing down).

Also Gunners wasn't exactly setting the world on fire as a half forward / wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So wjth Frawley, Stratts and Birch cominh in, who wre you going to omit?
Langford & Glass (Will get the hawks apprenticeship). Frawley needs to earn the spot back. He is not a walk up this year at the moment and he robs us the most when it comes to drive off the HB line.

To move Sicily forward again when he has been near elite as a half back is counterintuitive for mine. Lets not forget how Sic struggled to get involved as a forward for a good many games. If he maintains his current form at half back over the course of a season he would be close to AA (small sample size I know but he shows no signs of slowing down).

Also Gunners wasn't exactly setting the world on fire as a half forward / wing.

TBH all of our forwards, and most of our midfield, were struggling big time. Fairly sure because they weren't getting the ball first or forward in any meaningfull way. Our back line was under seige. Hodge was in horrendous form. Brand stank for at least the first 2 games in, Doc was close to getting dropped to the VFL development league, he was that bad. Smith was terrible for at least 4 games, Shiels was well down, Howe got slaughtered across half back. 7 rounds in and we had 4 good players across the park (Mitchell, Henderson, Burton and BB). My point is that we were poor across the ground and I don't think these changes (Sic to the back line and Gunners to defense) are the catalyst for all of the improvement. We have had improvement across the board. I think if you carry this form line into a game with Stratts and birch down back, at least gunners forward and add Poppy back into the mix we would be much stronger than we are now. Fitting them in would be unfair to someone for sure

I thought the Catholics did it to punish themselves for naughty thoughts.

TBH all of our forwards, and most of our midfield, were struggling big time. Fairly sure because they weren't getting the ball first or forward in any meaningfull way. Our back line was under seige. Hodge was in horrendous form. Brand stank for at least the first 2 games in, Doc was close to getting dropped to the VFL development league, he was that bad. Smith was terrible for at least 4 games, Shiels was well down, Howe got slaughtered across half back. 7 rounds in and we had 4 good players across the park (Mitchell, Henderson, Burton and BB). My point is that we were poor across the ground and I don't think these changes (Sic to the back line and Gunners to defense) are the catalyst for all of the improvement. We have had improvement across the board. I think if you carry this form line into a game with Stratts and birch down back, at least gunners forward and add Poppy back into the mix we would be much stronger than we are now. Fitting them in would be unfair to someone for sure
Fair points you have raised. But you have to admit that having the kicking/marking/evasive skills of Sicily and Gunners of the half back line is a real point of difference for the side and an offensive weapon as well.

Frawley needs to earn the spot back. He is not a walk up this year at the moment and he robs us the most when it comes to drive off the HB line.
um so what the last 48 games he played for the Hawks is worth nothing?

He was playing ok, in some cases very well in a back line under siege due to the dysfunction up the ground, he was also playing in a back line with even numbers at best

currently Hawks are playing 8 behind the ball to offer protection and have the midfield much more functional which helps, there are a lot less game killing turn overs, we are not getting cut up through the corridor on the rebound and all of this is helping make the defence much better.

Put Chip in that backline and you potentially free someone else up for a different role, like Gunners back into the forward line, or Burton some time in the middle or forward

not to mention if you want Brand and Chip to be the spine together next year, getting some game time into both of them together this year wouldn't be a bad idea

This one is a massive tip of the hat to Clarko, Wrighty and all of their associates. At numerous times throughout our awful 3-month long rebuild there were so many questions asked because of some of our out of character on-field results. We were told our youth sucked and that Wrighty wasn't the genius we made him out to be. Since then we have seen the emergence of Blake Hardwick, Daniel Howe, James Sicily v2.0, Tim O'Brien as a developing key forward threat and the rising star in waiting Ryan Burton. Turns out this Wrighty bloke and his staff may have some clue about picking talent - particularly for a side that wasn't spoiled with draft picks these past 5-6 years.

Same with Clarko - there were a few lining up to finally sink the slippers in because we weren't in the top 4 any more. So many thought he was losing his mind to persist with Sicily as a defender, to play Burton down back despite being drafted as a forward who may play midfield one day. People said Howe would never have a future and couldn't cope with his continued selection. Hartung was pilloried from all quarters (myself included many times) but he is starting to show more and more each week as confidence is shown in him. Langford has his set shot problems, but has had his role changed and it is playing to his strengths. Duryea was another criticised by me and others - but he has also been reinvented as a small forward. Everyone wrote off the experimentation with Gunston this year - but all Clarko has done is unleashed a more versatile player who can now make an impact at either end of the ground.

I know we all at times want to criticise those in charge, and we scratch our heads at what we feel are weird decisions (and I will do the exact same should Gibson make his way back into the side) but I think we have to once again pay tribute to these blokes because they have all once again set our club up for a big decade ahead.

um so what the last 48 games he played fo r the Hawks is worth nothing?

He was playing ok, in some cases very well in a back line under siege due to the dysfunction up the ground, he was also playing in a back line with even numbers at best

currently Hawks are playing 8 behind the ball to offer protection and have the midfield much more functional which helps, there are a lot less game killing turn overs, we are not getting cut up through the corridor on the rebound and all of this is helping make the defence much better.

Put Chip in that backline and you potentially free someone else up for a different role, like Gunners back into the forward line, or Burton some time in the middle or forward

not to mention if you want Brand and Chip to be the spine together next year, getting some game time into both of them together this year wouldn't be a bad idea

Our midfield was totally dysfunctional early in the year and making all of our defenders look bad imo, while our midfield is playing very well right now and making our backline look better than they are defensively, though we should all have nothing but praise for how well they are doing considering injuries. We have sacrificed a lot in the forward line.
EDIT: though I realise I basically repeated you lol

Is there a no man bun/long hair rule at Hawthorn??

Noticed quite a few at Freo

Well Schoey used to have a rather fetching man bun and don't forget Jesus, also Stratton sporting a rather horrible mo of recent times. Having said that we are a fairly neat and tidy looking bunch, I remember noticing when the teams ran out for the 2015 GF how good our boys looked compared to West coast who looked really scruffy. Must be something about WA, they do seem to favour the long locks.

This one is a massive tip of the hat to Clarko, Wrighty and all of their associates. At numerous times throughout our awful 3-month long rebuild there were so many questions asked because of some of our out of character on-field results. We were told our youth sucked and that Wrighty wasn't the genius we made him out to be. Since then we have seen the emergence of Blake Hardwick, Daniel Howe, James Sicily v2.0, Tim O'Brien as a developing key forward threat and the rising star in waiting Ryan Burton. Turns out this Wrighty bloke and his staff may have some clue about picking talent - particularly for a side that wasn't spoiled with draft picks these past 5-6 years.

Same with Clarko - there were a few lining up to finally sink the slippers in because we weren't in the top 4 any more. So many thought he was losing his mind to persist with Sicily as a defender, to play Burton down back despite being drafted as a forward who may play midfield one day. People said Howe would never have a future and couldn't cope with his continued selection. Hartung was pilloried from all quarters (myself included many times) but he is starting to show more and more each week as confidence is shown in him. Langford has his set shot problems, but has had his role changed and it is playing to his strengths. Duryea was another criticised by me and others - but he has also been reinvented as a small forward. Everyone wrote off the experimentation with Gunston this year - but all Clarko has done is unleashed a more versatile player who can now make an impact at either end of the ground.

I know we all at times want to criticise those in charge, and we scratch our heads at what we feel are weird decisions (and I will do the exact same should Gibson make his way back into the side) but I think we have to once again pay tribute to these blokes because they have all once again set our club up for a big decade ahead.
We are incredibly fortunate to have Clarko - he has huge respect within the industry and this was very evident in Perth on Saturday night.
We were in the shit few weeks back but now full of optimism about the future with the likes of Hardwick, Sicily,Brand,Burton,Obrien etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back