Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

How good is it going to be when we get back Stratts Chip and Birch in our backline! Im salivating at the thought of a forward line of:

Roughy Gunston Sicily
Rioli Burton Bruest

That forward line would have converted all those opportunities the last 4 weeks and we would have won all of them. Their accurracy and firepower will blow teams away. So excited!!

I've personally been waiting for Billy and Langers to have a good game together, so I can finally spew out the line:

Good Will, Hartung.

Been waiting a while... o_O
So what's next? Good Will, Jaegering?

This one is a massive tip of the hat to Clarko, Wrighty and all of their associates. At numerous times throughout our awful 3-month long rebuild there were so many questions asked because of some of our out of character on-field results. We were told our youth sucked and that Wrighty wasn't the genius we made him out to be. Since then we have seen the emergence of Blake Hardwick, Daniel Howe, James Sicily v2.0, Tim O'Brien as a developing key forward threat and the rising star in waiting Ryan Burton. Turns out this Wrighty bloke and his staff may have some clue about picking talent - particularly for a side that wasn't spoiled with draft picks these past 5-6 years.

Same with Clarko - there were a few lining up to finally sink the slippers in because we weren't in the top 4 any more. So many thought he was losing his mind to persist with Sicily as a defender, to play Burton down back despite being drafted as a forward who may play midfield one day. People said Howe would never have a future and couldn't cope with his continued selection. Hartung was pilloried from all quarters (myself included many times) but he is starting to show more and more each week as confidence is shown in him. Langford has his set shot problems, but has had his role changed and it is playing to his strengths. Duryea was another criticised by me and others - but he has also been reinvented as a small forward. Everyone wrote off the experimentation with Gunston this year - but all Clarko has done is unleashed a more versatile player who can now make an impact at either end of the ground.

I know we all at times want to criticise those in charge, and we scratch our heads at what we feel are weird decisions (and I will do the exact same should Gibson make his way back into the side) but I think we have to once again pay tribute to these blokes because they have all once again set our club up for a big decade ahead.
Great post. The posters who went early chucking toys out of the cot should hang their heads low. The posters who said "chill out" and wait and see how the youth go* are awesome

*this group included me so I'm like totally awesome....

Also took close to the mark of the night, as well as awesome (and timely) goal too.
Took a couple of great marks - one at each end of the ground, and his goal was something he should teach Langers how to do. To me Billy is not a player who takes one big step up, but I see gradual improvement each week in different aspects of his game. Maybe 2018 will be his year. If we get JOM fit and playing, and another strong mid to help Mitch out then Billy could get many opportunities to dash from the centre and kick some goals from 50.

Great post. The posters who went early chucking toys out of the cot should hang their heads low. The posters who said "chill out" and wait and see how the youth go* are awesome

*this group included me so I'm like totally awesome....
I also am awesome, I said that we were capable and our coach is a forward thinker. Hodgey , Sam cannot play footy when they are 50 years old said last year, moving on is a necessity , hence Clarko's brilliant mind and coaching style, and the recruiters already had a depth "set up" well under way for a couple of years, it is too hard a game to stay in front of you must take risks , if you do not look with strength and confidence to what is coming next, you wind up floundering.
Not all clubs look and see, they just hold and hold, but there are a couple who are looking like they may be smart, I'd pick Carlton and Brisbane, in that category. Hawks always one step ahead, even when the family freaks out and thinks the worlds end has come!

Any one mentioned Sicily's un Hawk like behavior going berserk at an umpire after being kicked or hit with the ball. Haven't seen any comment, on here yet, if there is sorry.
But I was pretty angry with the risk he took of getting a free against him or reported for abuse.
The umpires have a tendency to not like that, they have trigger fingers and the way they whack free kicks out of their backsides , now days , he was lucky.
But then to behave like he did to Taylor Duryea was nearly unforgivable, and telling him to "you know what" off , was some thing they'll shake hands on , but it will never be forgotten. Even though they'll try, it sits.
Sicily needs to curb his stupidity, he is a great footballer and lots of guts, but he had lost it, and Duryea wanted to calm him, he gave him a bump and settled him , but Sicily went back and they did not look like team mates.
We have standards at Hawthorn , I believe Gary Ayres taught a bloke about respect at Hawthorn once upon a time.
Now a lot of you will say it was nothing, and maybe it was nothing, but deep down inside players hold resentment , I think Taylor is a mature sensible young fellow who was making a point to a team mate who treated him in a lesser manner than he should have , and maybe embarrassed Taylor. Other's spoke to Sicily too after.
I hope the coaching panel belted him.
Remember one thing , a situation could have developed after the incident , not just for Sicily but for his team , and it may have an effect one day, in the future , it may not either, but it happened and it looked shocking.
Sicily is a great player with plenty of fire , but sometimes an over active temper can hide a bit of courage.
Courage in the sense of holding back and control and get rewarded , not shove an swear at your team mate.
I saw the GWS giants have a squabble physically on the ground once and it looked really bad.
I'd like some Hawk opinion on this one.

Any one mentioned Sicily's un Hawk like behavior going berserk at an umpire after being kicked or hit with the ball. Haven't seen any comment, on here yet, if there is sorry.
But I was pretty angry with the risk he took of getting a free against him or reported for abuse.
The umpires have a tendency to not like that, they have trigger fingers and the way they whack free kicks out of their backsides , now days , he was lucky.
But then to behave like he did to Taylor Duryea was nearly unforgivable, and telling him to "you know what" off , was some thing they'll shake hands on , but it will never be forgotten. Even though they'll try, it sits.
Sicily needs to curb his stupidity, he is a great footballer and lots of guts, but he had lost it, and Duryea wanted to calm him, he gave him a bump and settled him , but Sicily went back and they did not look like team mates.
We have standards at Hawthorn , I believe Gary Ayres taught a bloke about respect at Hawthorn once upon a time.
Now a lot of you will say it was nothing, and maybe it was nothing, but deep down inside players hold resentment , I think Taylor is a mature sensible young fellow who was making a point to a team mate who treated him in a lesser manner than he should have , and maybe embarrassed Taylor. Other's spoke to Sicily too after.
Remember one thing , a situation could have developed after the incident , not just for Sicily but for his team , and it may have an effect one day, in the future , it may not either, but it happened and it looked shocking.
Sicily is a great player with plenty of fire , but sometimes an over active temper can hide a bit of courage.
Courage in the sense of holding back and control and get rewarded , not shove an swear at your team mate.
I saw the GWS giants have a squabble physically on the ground once and it looked really bad.

Sicily was a dickhead. Let's see if he continues to be a dickhead. That sort of fiery behaviour is best directed at the opposition. I'm pretty sure he'll be sorted out quickly if he fails to pull his head in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally don't mind it. As long as he doesn't go Setanta it's all fair. I've seen Hodge, Lewis and Burgoyne dish out huge sprays on field to the players (although that's obviously different to what Sicily is doing). Sicily is passionate as anybody. He's got that white line fever that every great footballer has. I don't want him to be ill disciplined but I'd rather him have a bit of campaigner about him than none at all.

Doc and Sis are fine. Shit happens in team sports. It's an emotional game. Getting belted in the head by a footy point blank also doesn't exactly help your critical thinking either.

Last edited:

Blah blah blah, blather blather blather.
Rubbish.
Your editorial, that is.

Sicily was a dickhead. Let's see if he continues to be a dickhead. That sort of fiery behaviour is best directed at the opposition. I'm pretty sure he'll be sorted out quickly if he fails to pull his head in.

Absolutely stunned by this take Oz.
Why is he a dickhead?
What everyone has failed to mention, astonishingly, is that Brand had already glided by, re-directed Sicily appropriately, who was moving on - WHEN DURYEA stuck his big nose in and had the second go.
Unnecessary by Doc, and Sic correctly told him to move along.
No idea what all you ducks are on about.:eek:

Ps. Did any Hawk stop by and check Sic had all his teeth?
Maybe a touch of interest or concern would have been the right first interest, rather than a telling off.

Absolutely stunned by this take Oz.
Why is he a dickhead?
What everyone has failed to mention, astonishingly, is that Brand had already glided by, re-directed Sicily appropriately, who was moving on - WHEN DURYEA stuck his big nose in and had the second go.
Unnecessary by Doc, and Sic correctly told him to move along.
No idea what all you ducks are on about.:eek:

Ps. Did any Hawk stop by and check Sic had all his teeth?
Maybe a touch of interest or concern would have been the right first interest, rather than a telling off.

I'm pretty sure Sicily went much harder at Duryea than is reasonable. Something like, "F off" with angry finger pointing. I'm all for the passion, but it's important to remember team. There's been no indication that duryea went after him with anything like that sort of aggressiveness.

Anyway, they kissed and made up after the game, walking off the field with arms around each other. I've only seen one photo of that (as it undermines the whole Sicily is outta control meme). And I'm pretty sure this incident has had far more play outside the club than inside.

If it were me, I would expect a level of respect amongst teammates. They are in all im the game to win. No big deal.

Isn't that what I just said?
No, it isn't. Perhaps you need to revisit your own post.

You said:

a) Sicily correctly told him to move along (italics my own); and

b) You have no idea what people objecting to this are on about.

Telling a team-mate to **** off is not a good look. Pretty simple.

No, it isn't. Perhaps you need to revisit your own post.

You said:

a) Sicily correctly told him to move along (italics my own); and

b) You have no idea what people objecting to this are on about.

Telling a team-mate to **** off is not a good look. Pretty simple.

Uhm, you're being silly now.
Why bother....

The overreaction here is incredible. Sicily had a footy kicked full force into his face from only about 55cm. I'm sure I would be saying more than, oh heck, that smarts!

And which is better, ducking for a free, and looking pleadingly at the umpire, or saying where's my ****** free, ump?

If Clarko didn't have a problem with Sic, then neither do I. Move on guys, there are far more important things to worry about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back