Autopsy Hawks v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thoroughly bamboozled by the Rioli 50 decision - I know why it was given but I just don't understand the lead up to it - why was McVeigh given so long to kick in and then called back when he did finally kick it
Cyril cut the angle off toward the members wing & crept over the mark.

Harsh call, but it was there.

raw
Come at me brah.

You know I started it.

Respect you for amplifying my calls though. As I've said one of the best footy minds on here.

Ha ha. This bloke bags Jordy then gives a big thumbs up to Langers. I though DE was what we all love and die by tonight?

Apart from not understanding preparation you also don't understand the value clearly of an injury free preseason.
You don't understand "role players"
Jordan off a limited preseason played his role and was starting to benefit greatly from game time.
I think anyone with a heart would've cut him some slack tonight.

Plzzz

Not unlike the 3rd when TOB misses a soda and the Swans went coast to coast for a Rohan goal. 2 goal turn around at a point when we were all over them.... Which was mixed in with the worst 5 minutes of umpiring of the game that denied us 3 shots at goal from inside 20-25m.
Correct on all accounts - and can we please start with more intensity, behind the 8 ball every bloody time.

Meh!
Really wasn't that much in it.
It's May!
We are a win ahead of last year.
Getting some experience into our three new senior players.
Be interesting to see our odds after this round.
Carna Hawks!

nah...its just how we are playing

think about the first half for a minute... we were garbage

I think what's evident is we need a classy bull like midfielder, we don't have one.
Jaeger O'Meara's signature might be the key to our future going forward. Our midfield problems aren't going to get any better with an aging midfield.

Forward and back we are looking good with both youth and experience.

Not to mention that terrible chip from Hill on the wing at the start of the last qtr when we were 4 pts down that resulted in a 50. Just needed to work work the overlap with Smith and we were away
Error compounded by error. Frustrating to watch. Shouldn't have been a 50m penalty against Smith.

Oh it was there, I was puzzled as to what proceeded all of that - why did McVeigh get a second opportunity to kick out

That was Stratton. Talking about the one from the kick in, where it got called back because Rioli wasn't standing the mark where the imp wanted, then McVeigh went to play on, the imp called all clear Rioli moved and the ump paid a 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got really angry tonight at the game. I don't usually get angry at games, frustrated yes, but rarely angry. I went tonight expecting a loss, and potentially a big one. If you'd offered that scoreline to me this morning I would've taken it in a heart beat. What made me angry tonight was that we had every chance of winning tonight but we threw it away multiple times through poor disposal and substandard goal kicking.

I hate blaming umpires but when you get so many decisions so blatantly wrong consistently for a lengthy period of time like they did tonight in the 3rd quarter it has an impact. I won't go so far as to say they were consciously cheating but there was such an obvious bias against us tonight that there should be an enquiry made by the club.

That said we still had the opportunity to win it tonight despite the umpiring. Two particular moments will haunt us this week...

First was the O'Brien miss in the 3rd quarter and the subsequent coast to coast response. Tim did some really good stuff tonight and took some impressive pack marks, but his (and Sicily's) goal kicking tonight left a lot to be desired. As a forward nothing in the game is as important as your ability to kick goals - particularly from set shots with little distance or angle.

Second, and the worst, was the Ceglar handball to Langford in the 4th quarter. Never pass the ball if a teammate isn't looking and hasn't at least called for it. I don't know what Ceglar was thinking. Even if Langford has been looking it would've been a poor choice. Even if he wasn't outnumbered all around by 3 opposition it would've been a poor choice. Correct options were a) take the shot, b) handball to a free player running past behind him and then shepard them, or c) kick it laterally to a free Hawk around the 50m arc to work a better shot.

Not sure what happened with Sam tonight. I didn't really pay much attention to his game. I know Tom Mitchell was tagging him but Sam got plenty in the first before disappearing. I'm going to assume he, like Lewis, was likely pretty strongly effected by the Roughead news this week.

Gunston was absolutely outstanding tonight. I was on the 'Shiels is our next captain' bandwagon but over the last month I've been taken by Jack's on field leadership in the absence of Hodge and Roughy, and tonight with down games by Mitchell and Lewis. Shiels is still an excellent option and he played a pretty strong game tonight but I think I'll officially make the jump to Gunston now. Calm, cool and collected under pressure and very often steps up in big games and big moments. His first goal tonight sparked us and his subsequent ones kept us going longer than we seemed capable of at times.

It's amazing how blind people are that they say things like "Hawks have no match up for Buddy" when Frawley pretty much beat him in most one on one contests. Yeah, Franko got 3 goals but one of those was a handball off from 50 and the other was a long bomb which was only possible thanks to Ceglar having brain diarrhea. Frawley deserves more credit.

Jaeger O'Meara's signature might be the key to our future going forward. Our midfield problems aren't going to get any better with an aging midfield.

Forward and back we are looking good with both youth and experience.

A fit JOM would be ideal.

Boy what a sook.

Dude I can't stand posts like that either but unless you're here to discuss the game what's the point? No one needs opposition supporters potting Hawks fans with their posts, regardless of whether it's even warranted.

It never ends well.

Our forward structures were horrible. Our kicking into the forwardline and in transition was even worse.

But to play that poorly, after the week the guys have had, to essentially lose due to inaccurate goal kicking isn't the worst result in the world.

If we do what we need to, the team should be 9-3 in a few weeks and we can reassess from there.

It's amazing how blind people are that they say things like "Hawks have no match up for Buddy" when Frawley pretty much beat him in most one on one contests. Yeah, Franko got 3 goals but one of those was a handball off from 50 and the other was a long bomb which was only possible thanks to Ceglar having brain diarrhea. Frawley deserves more credit.

He's been nothing short of outstanding this season. Along with Gunner and Mitch, Frawley's probably been in the top 3 performed hawks this year.

None of Buddy's goals were from Chip as a direct opponent from memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back