Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanders is a legitimate entrepreneur of the highest order, not only him but guys like Stephen Lawrence, Daniel Elstone, Chris Langford, Michael Osbourne and Paul Salmon are all ex players who have leveraged club contacts and networks in order to become extremely successful in business.

Was just taking the piss - Vanders is a high caliber guy and I am glad he is still so highly involved in the club.

Vanders is a legitimate entrepreneur of the highest order, not only him but guys like Stephen Lawrence, Daniel Elstone, Chris Langford, Michael Osbourne and Paul Salmon are all ex players who have leveraged club contacts and networks in order to become extremely successful in business.

You forgot about Chris Mew who owns his own building empire. He's gone on to sell multiple houses that he's made a fortune from. Players that come to Hawthorn and finish there careers there almost always set themselves up for life and I guarantee you that while clubs like Carlton roll out the fancy / shiny toys we'd be getting in guys like Mew, Vanders, Lawrence etc to tell guys like Coniglio their own personal stories of wealth. You come into the HFC as a boy and you leave as a man.

Looking at Bennell’s issues and backing ourselves in to get the best out of him would be little different to looking at Scully’s ankle and backing our team in to get him right.

He’s either salvageable or he is not.

We either see a player that our medicos/culture/leadership can harness the best of, or we don’t.

We would no doubt be asking the question.

Serious question, is our leadership currently capable of this? If Rough moves on, I think Burgoyne will go again, the only other name that really jumps out is O'Meara, but he is still 25 yeah? McEvoy is a warrior on field, but appears more introverted off. I don't know that for sure but.

Point is, in many games this year we have all questioned a lack of leadership. This isn't natural for Bruest, Gunton and sadly it seems Stratton.

I'm not sold we have the leaders we used to have, or are ready to in O'Meara, to take on a Bennell.

Last edited:
Serious question, is our leadership currently capable of this? If Rough moves on, I think Burgoyne will go again, the only other name that really jumps out is O'Meara, but he is still 25 yeah? McEvoy is a warrior on field, but appears more introverted off. I don't know that for sure but.

Point is, in many games this year we have all questioned a lack of leadership. This isn't natural for Bruest, Gunton and sadly it seems Stratton.

I'm not sold we have the leaders we used to that, or are ready to in O'Meara, to take on a Bennell.

I think O'Meara and Mitchell would be great role models for a troubled young player. Thing is Bennell isn't young.

Really nice guy is Vanders. Entrepreneur of the highest order though...please.

I think O'Meara and Mitchell would be great role models for a troubled young player. Thing is Bennell isn't young.

Possibly. But they are still young, Mitchell is working back from injury too. It's a significant challenge for two young blokes that are yet to lead in their own right.

It's a good point you make with Bennell's age too. It highlights our vaccum in leadership around that 28 year old mark hey.

I was told a story recently about off field issues.

There is an AFL player doing well at the moment who had off field issues that stoped clubs from drafting him.

His off field issues were: Both Parents had died, and he was struggling with life as a late teen with no Parents. He was begging clubs to draft him as he saw that as his only way to have a decent life and not be homeless.

Glad a club finally gave this kid a chance.

Really nice guy is Vanders. Entrepreneur of the highest order though...please.

Ok, sorry.. Do tell us your expertise?

Vanders is head of the LCW Group isn’t he? Don’t they produce multiple wines and doing so quite successfully? Wine industry is a money spinner if you get it right, but like most industries it’s difficult to get a real handle on. I’d suggest he has done extremely well, in fact anyone jumping head first into business and doing well deserve a huge amount of credit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for getting Bennell. I was all for getting Garlett to. Not much to lose and all to gain

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was all for Dayle Garlett too - our list was chock full of talent so we could afford to take the risk of the draft pick.

As it turns out, the opportunity cost was access to one of the following:
Jake Kolodjashnij, Tom Barrass, Aliir Aliir, Riley Knight, Ben Brown, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Orazio Fantasia

These were the players selected between Garlett and Sicily (amongst others, who didn't make it). So we rolled the dice and it didn't pay off - you could argue that about most draft picks.

In this case - Bennell wouldn't even cost us draft position, so the opportunity cost is less. But all evidence thus far points to it's likely failure (for whatever reason, injury or other)

So you reckon his off-field issues could be reasonably managed?

How about his calf issues triple treat ? What do you hear of them? Would 4+ years of repeat damage have caused too much scarring etc. to get back to any type of match readiness?

*for the record, I like the idea of chasing him & IMO, fixing his body is the important part as I reckon the off-field stuff is manageable
I couldn’t tell you anything about his calves, I don’t know him personally just know someone that does and from what he tells me, He’s a decent guy who’s working really hard to get himself back to playing footy again at the top level. If the club is interested I’m sure they will give the calves a thorough going over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back