Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I am the last person to rain on this parade, BUT it was reaffirmed to me today the strategy that we are spending really significant time on is to go to the Draft this year with a player like Kemp with 8, Finn with a discounted second round. They think Kemp can become an Anderson. Try and take Lachy as a 2020 FA.
The other reason for this, is we have a potential nice problem for 2020, we have two players from our Academy, Downie (top1-5) and Sanganelli (not sure of the spelling)(currently rated by us where we have Finn this year, ie 15-25)
So GW has to have a strategy to get these two, so trading out collateral for next year not smart.

Also we have to use our first of this year or next in the DRAFT.

It is really fluid

Cogs, Patton and two quality kids like Finn and someone like Kemp will be sensational this year. Lachy and Downie plus in 2020 cream.

Use our later picks and player trades on some structural KP’s and other List gaps, plus FA for a player like Day.

Aggressive re-positioning of the List complete !!

The interesting twist in all the above could still be BHill.
I like this simply for the BHill reference

Look I am the last person to rain on this parade, BUT it was reaffirmed to me today the strategy that we are spending really significant time on is to go to the Draft this year with a player like Kemp with 8, Finn with a discounted second round. They think Kemp can become an Anderson. Try and take Lachy as a 2020 FA.
The other reason for this, is we have a potential nice problem for 2020, we have two players from our Academy, Downie (top1-5) and Sanganelli (not sure of the spelling)(currently rated by us where we have Finn this year, ie 15-25)
So GW has to have a strategy to get these two, so trading out collateral for next year not smart.

It is really fluid

Cogs, Patton and two quality kids like Finn and someone like Kemp will be sensational this year. Lachy and Downie plus in 2020 cream.

Use our later picks and player trades on some structural KP’s and other List gaps, plus FA for a player like Day.

If this happens I will be over the moon- excluding Brad Hill. Freo will demand a kings ransom for him which I don’t want to pay ..

It is really fluid

Thanks Tops. I heard that there was tongues waging about Hilly potentially coming home as clarko is absolute about getting hilly through the doors at Waverley .

I can't recall an instance of three players moving from one club to another in one trade period - just seems unlikely to me, the type of thing that would get quashed.
Why would it get quashed*?

I agree, I can’t think of it happening - but why quashed?

And why is ‘quashed’ a word? Are we too cool for ‘squashed’?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty dam impressive write up on Finn...

I've been super impressed with Finn Maginness this year, I think he's been one of the real improvers in the draft. I know full well nobody else would have picked him this early, but that's fine by me. I personally think he's deserving of a top 10 pick, even if it seems recruiters have him more in that 15-20 range at the moment. Which will please Hawthorn I'm sure.

One thing that works in his favour is the draft pool as a whole. Outside of Noah Anderson and Tom Green, there isn't another tall midfielder anywhere near the top of the draft. I personally consider Ash, Young and Gould to be defenders. And I feel that's where Kemp will develop too. So if a club wants some size in the midfield, Maginness is it.

But I do think Maginness is good enough to go this early too, it's not just a lack of other options. With his move into the midfield this year, he's improved pretty rapidly. And he looks a natural in at the stoppages, knows where to position himself and can get himself out of trouble without much difficulty. Has a nice little sidestep and just has that extra bit of time. He definitely doesn't win the ball purely due to his size. His hands in close are clean, and his kicking has also improved as the season has gone on. In a Championships full of pretty poor footskills, he had some really nice and important kicks. He's also an elite runner and can use that to push to the outside.

Over half his possessions have been contested so far this year, I'd like to see him get a chance to run and carry a touch more over the rest of the season. Just to show he has that side of his game, and show clubs he can be that damaging player too. Just that overall hurt factor is something he can display a bit more. Pushing forward and kicking goals as a midfielder will also be the next step in his development. But from all reports, he's a leader on the field and at training so I think he'll continue to only get better.

Gun to my head, if I have to make an AFL comparison for him I'll go with Jackson Macrae. Underrated, but super consistent and always improving.

So why would I pick him here? One look at my draft board shows that Dylan Stephens was by far my best available. But I like to see where others rate the SA kids, I talk enough about them already. But outside of him, I have Maginness as the next best midfielder - and as I said before, a midfielder with size like few others in this draft. And I want Fremantle to draft actual midfielders, not more short kids or flankers (outside of Liam Henry).

Last edited:
Make no mistake if we can get Bhill back he slices teams up in our system. Just like any young kid he wanted to go home and then realised the grass aint all that green...but still wants his fair share of dosh, will be interesting to see how it plays out as freo look likely to be pricks, he is in their top 3 afterall...

Pretty dam impressive write up on Finn...

I've been super impressed with Finn Maginness this year, I think he's been one of the real improvers in the draft. I know full well nobody else would have picked him this early, but that's fine by me. I personally think he's deserving of a top 10 pick, even if it seems recruiters have him more in that 15-20 range at the moment. Which will please Hawthorn I'm sure.

One thing that works in his favour is the draft pool as a whole. Outside of Noah Anderson and Tom Green, there isn't another tall midfielder anywhere near the top of the draft. I personally consider Ash, Young and Gould to be defenders. And I feel that's where Kemp will develop too. So if a club wants some size in the midfield, Maginness is it.

But I do think Maginness is good enough to go this early too, it's not just a lack of other options. With his move into the midfield this year, he's improved pretty rapidly. And he looks a natural in at the stoppages, knows where to position himself and can get himself out of trouble without much difficulty. Has a nice little sidestep and just has that extra bit of time. He definitely doesn't win the ball purely due to his size. His hands in close are clean, and his kicking has also improved as the season has gone on. In a Championships full of pretty poor footskills, he had some really nice and important kicks. He's also an elite runner and can use that to push to the outside.

Over half his possessions have been contested so far this year, I'd like to see him get a chance to run and carry a touch more over the rest of the season. Just to show he has that side of his game, and show clubs he can be that damaging player too. Just that overall hurt factor is something he can display a bit more. Pushing forward and kicking goals as a midfielder will also be the next step in his development. But from all reports, he's a leader on the field and at training so I think he'll continue to only get better.

Gun to my head, if I have to make an AFL comparison for him I'll go with Jackson Macrae. Underrated, but super consistent and always improving.

So why would I pick him here? One look at my draft board shows that Dylan Stephens was by far my best available. But I like to see where others rate the SA kids, I talk enough about them already. But outside of him, I have Maginness as the next best midfielder - and as I said before, a midfielder with size like few others in this draft. And I want Fremantle to draft actual midfielders, not more short kids or flankers (outside of Liam Henry).
Dumping slabs of text in here without crediting the author isn't great practice.

Use quotes and links.

Tommy Mitchell, a fit Wingard and Cogs. Add them to Jaeger, Worps and Sheils and we are flying. Hence the need to take a flyer on a key position player with our first round pick.
The key forwards this year were trash, mcasey is one of the only keys tipped to go around our pick, had a good championships, but played on very ordinary forwards. I think we’ll look at value picks in guys like Hilder and dekonning who we should be able to get later in the draft. I’d much rather see us take best available in kemp, Serong or whoever else is left on the board

Yes. But let’s make it quite clear. AC has been very disappointed personally with Brad.
700k versus 1.1m?!! It’s a big difference but having that sort of cash on your back , at a lower club, could end in tears versus a known quality, a system he’s very accustomed to with a brilliant coach ready to develop him even more... which will it be for Brad?
I’d give our first rounder for him if he agreed on a 700-750k type payment.
It’d be a shame if we missed out but even more on his part than ours.

The key forwards this year were trash, mcasey is one of the only keys tipped to go around our pick, had a good championships, but played on very ordinary forwards. I think we’ll look at value picks in guys like Hilder and dekonning who we should be able to get later in the draft. I’d much rather see us take best available in kemp, Serong or whoever else is left on the board

Probably wrong thread, but I rated Hidler as good as any KPD in the championships. Hoping we look at him. Doesn’t seem to get the accolades as others

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back