Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of players are these academy kids?
I think Pepper played across Half Back in the recent u/18 Champs. One of the Vic teams.

Next Year:
Downie & Big Sal are on-ballers.
Garner - not sure, maybe HBF?

Davo-27 is good with this kinda stuff - he’ll know.

I think I said elsewhere, this is GW big challenge to hold enough collateral or create enough collateral for the two Drafts, while still trading.

In a perfect world we won't need to trade, should we land both Coniglio and Whitfield via FA. We can then use all our picks for our Academy players.

I think Pepper played across Half Back in the recent u/18 Champs. One of the Vic teams.

Next Year:
Downie & Big Sal are on-ballers.
Garner - not sure, maybe HBF?

Davo-27 is good with this kinda stuff - he’ll know.

yea as you said Pepper played in defence in the Championships recently and played all 4 games for Vic Country basically the best team in the champs that choked in the last game to WA imo (Gippsland)
Garner is a hbf who is ok and probably unlikely to get drafted by us this year (Eastern)

Downie is likely a 1st/2nd round pick next year, has played hbf, wing and a bit of inside mid, also kicking a good amount of goals, had 1 game for Vic Metro in the recent Champs as well (Eastern)
Salele is a inside mid who has potential to maybe be a NGA pick up also next year (Eastern)

In an open market where do you project that Pepper would be taken? Davo-27

And are we likely to pick him up this year, along with Finn?

As it stands we would have the following picks:
- 46 (Port's third round pick)

Plus two picks around/in the 80's.

Now I think about it, I'm worried that 27 may not be enough to get Finn.

Port have four picks in the 60's, so maybe we could somehow do some pick swapping to take some of them off their hands, and package it in to drafting Finn, and potentially use the other on Pepper is he's not looking likely to be taken until the 4th round.

In an open market where do you project that Pepper would be taken? Davo-27

And are we likely to pick him up this year, along with Finn?

As it stands we would have the following picks:
- 46 (Port's third round pick)

Plus two picks around/in the 80's.

Now I think about it, I'm worried that 27 may not be enough to get Finn.

Port have four picks in the 60's, so maybe we could somehow do some pick swapping to take some of them off their hands, and package it in to drafting Finn, and potentially use the other on Pepper is he's not looking likely to be taken until the 4th round.

there was a recent trial phantom draft on bigfooty and no-one selected Harrison Pepper, i have him projected as a late pick or rookie, he has a lot of good traits, so would be worth recruiting late or as a rookie, so i doubt he would cost us much, i expect we would pick him up for free

as for Finn Maginness someone picked him at pick 8 but i dont expect him to go top 12 in the real draft, he is more likely to go from pick 15-30 imo, but he could go a few positions earlier, i hear some clubs rate Maginness around pick 10-15 and some rate him around pick 20-25, so it depends on what club rates him where at the earlier picks.

thats my read of the situation...

there was a recent trial phantom draft on bigfooty and no-one selected Harrison Pepper, i have him projected as a late pick or rookie, he has a lot of good traits, so would be worth recruiting late or as a rookie, so i doubt he would cost us much, i expect we would pick him up for free

as for Finn Maginness someone picked him at pick 8 but i dont expect him to go top 12 in the real draft, he is more likely to go from pick 15-30 imo, but he could go a few positions earlier

thats my read of the situation...

Thanks for that.

So would we be able to package our second and fifth or sixth rounders for Finn, should someone bid on him with a late first or early second?

Thanks for that.

So would we be able to package our second and fifth or sixth rounders for Finn, should someone bid on him with a late first or early second?
Seems like the more we keep winning, the more likely that Finn could cost us our first.

Seems like the more we keep winning, the more likely that Finn could cost us our first.

Not sure unless another team is really keen on him. Keep in mind we get a discount due to him being a F/S, which is 25%(?).

I expect it will be more likely that we use our second as the base and our third, either by turning it into multiple later picks, and package one of them, or just straight up with our second. Or use our two picks in the 70's and 80's.

Though I'm not fully sure how it all works with regards to packaging for points, and what points we would need.

Not sure unless another team is really keen on him. Keep in mind we get a discount due to him being a F/S, which is 25%(?).

I expect it will be more likely that we use our second as the base and our third, either by turning it into multiple later picks, and package one of them, or just straight up with our second. Or use our two picks in the 70's and 80's.

Though I'm not fully sure how it all works with regards to packaging for points, and what points we would need.
Yeah, it gets too hard, and does depend on what the situation is on the day - where would another club bid first or second rounder, what picks do we have available - what have we traded for, are we prepared to pay the price (think Moz).

We can speculate, but we cannot really determine the true cost just yet.

This might come in handy for you. Assuming we stay at pick 9 then this is our current point situation not taking into account picks shuffling down / up for whatever reason (priority picks etc)

Assuming we finish 10th (pick 9, 27, 45 & 63) our second round pick will cover a bid up to pick 22. In a worst case scenario of a pick 15 bid will move our third round pick to pick 62, so we have 2 picks in a row. Given our history of late pick gems I don't see this as a bad thing given we retain our first round selection.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we finish 10th (pick 9, 27, 45 & 63) our second round pick will cover a bid up to pick 22. In a worst case scenario of a pick 15 bid will move our third round pick to pick 62, so we have 2 picks in a row. Given our history of late pick gems I don't see this as a bad thing given we retain our first round selection.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I don't quite get this moistie.

If a bid is placed at Pick 15 (1,112 points), then we need to find 834 points (75% of 1,112). So, it would cost us our 2nd Pick (27, 703 points) and require another 131 points of our 3rd pick (347 - 131 = 216 points). So, we draft Finn at Pick 15, lose Pick 27, and Pick 45 drops to pick 55 doesn't it?

Therefore Draft position would go;

Pick 9 - Draftee of Hawks choice.
Pick 15 - Finn
Pick 55 - Draftee of Hawks Choice

I don't quite get this moistie.

If a bid is placed at Pick 15 (1,112 points), then we need to find 834 points (75% of 1,112). So, it would cost us our 2nd Pick (27, 703 points) and require another 131 points of our 3rd pick (347 - 131 = 216 points). So, we draft Finn at Pick 15, lose Pick 27, and Pick 45 drops to pick 55 doesn't it?

Therefore Draft position would go;

Pick 9 - Draftee of Hawks choice.
Pick 15 - Finn
Pick 55 - Draftee of Hawks Choice

Aah, so you don't lose the pick, it just drops down. That's nice.

We don't own our own third rounder, I think the Doggies have it. We have Port Adelaide's.
Yeah we do, so if you could lay off the form resurgence, that would be great. Although it's nice seeing the cocky Geelong supporters shut up for 5 minutes.
Crazy what happens when they don't get their d icks held at GMHBA, and are forced to play on a more neutral ground, hey

Aah, so you don't lose the pick, it just drops down. That's nice.
And just to keep it interesting...

I'm pretty sure that it's only the Top 80 (or Top 4 Rounds etc.) Picks that hold a points value. I.e. You can't package Pick 85, 105, 125 & 145 etc. in matching a Bid.

Someone will know where the points end - it may even be in the 70's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back