Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus Kemp isn’t the only youngster we’re looking at, it’s a sea of choices whereas with cogs, we’ve been chasing him for a while as a established player in our medium to long term plans.
Btw, a tid bit I’ve come across is that we’ll hit the Whitfield button if Cogs thing falls through. This is why his name keeps getting mentioned on here imo.
Re Kemp: The question was really hypothetically speaking that he’s the best player left on the board. So the decision would be is the risk worth it and could we wait for him to recover. I understand the there’s a difference with the Coniglio situation due to prior commitments etc but just because he has done a knee shouldn’t totally dismiss us drafting him if we think he’s the best player left.

Re Coniglio/ Whitfield: I would’ve thought it’s been known here for a while that Plan A is to get Coniglio as a free agent and Plan B would then to trade for Whitfield. It could be a very expensive Plan B if it comes to that and maybe something we should be factoring in is if the AFL go ahead and implement a midseason trade period in 2020. For example if we get Coniglio as a free agent and they let him come without matching and we use our 1st rounder this year on say Serong. Then come the 2020 midseason trade period Whitfield says I am not going to resign and I want to go to Hawthorn so trade me now or risk losing me for nothing. Now because we used our 1st rounder to draft Serong (2019) we could then use our 2020 1st rounder and 2021 1st rounder to trade for Whitfield midseason. Just a thought but it could be an option if the mid season trade period is brought in.

Last edited:
Secure Cogs then work on Whitfield.

If we miss Whitfield (most probable) then we hit the draft & hard.

I've got a feeling we already know what Cogs is doing either way. I reckon the call has been made a while ago.

I don't put Cogs in the same bucket as Lynch and others. He's switched on and will be definitive in his decision.

I've got a feeling we already know what Cogs is doing either way. I reckon the call has been made a while ago.

I don't put Cogs in the same bucket as Lynch and others. He's switched on and will be definitive in his decision.
If he doesn’t come then Jaeger just might have to bash him 👊🏽👊

There are others like Serong, Young we have interest in. Perhaps as has been suggested we also manoeuvre for a discounted second rounder for a long term injured Kemp. Anyway just pure speculation.

Personally, I like the sound of Young, but I doubt he will be available at our pick.

This is getting off topic, but I don't think injuries affect the draft as much as some people suggest. Last season St Kilda would have been under huge pressure to get their pick right, yet they took Max King despite a serious knee injury. Thinking Kemp might slide to our 2nd pick is surely unlikely.

Speaking of the draft, I for one cannot stand the idea of those tankards at Melbourne getting Noah Anderson and turning him into another Cale Morton. Please GW, find a way to get pick 2... after Cogs signs of course! :)

Can anyone clarify if we take a father son or NGA player who is bid on in the first round with non first round picks does this meet the AFL criteria for the minimum first round selection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone clarify if we take a father son or NGA player who is bid on in the first round with non first round picks does this meet the AFL criteria for the minimum first round selection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah fairly sure that if maginess gets a bid at 18 then we can use seconds and it satisfies the criteria. It’s a great chance to knock 2 first rounders out this year

If he’s done a knee we can scratch him off the list of potentials with our first pick.

We’re not flush with junior talent, we need to be making every post a winner.
I also think we need to look at bringing in as many robust bodies as possible. Our fitness team seems pretty good, but for every Scully, Scrimshaw, Patton, Cognilio, Wingard and O'Meara I do think it's important we get more Shiels or Breust types who've shown their bodies are hard to break.

I also think we need to look at bringing in as many robust bodies as possible. Our fitness team seems pretty good, but for every Scully, Scrimshaw, Patton, Cognilio, Wingard and O'Meara I do think it's important we get more Shiels or Breust types who've shown their bodies are hard to break.

In fairness to Wingard he was durable until he joined us, played 149 games at Port over 7 seasons.

Yeah fairly sure that if maginess gets a bid at 18 then we can use seconds and it satisfies the criteria. It’s a great chance to knock 2 first rounders out this year

Would dearly love Dodoro to bid on Finn not realizing it would give us additional flexibility in future drafts. Unlikely as they traded out this years 1st rounder.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T Browne has gone again - Carlton the favourite to land Cogs.

What Browne says never really bothers me, throw enough darts etc.

That being said, in the last 12-24 months he has really become the new AFL propaganda mouth piece, and is on track to be the next damien barrett.

At the end of the day - Carlton are a shambles still, and they need good press. I have empathy for the players, some of the staff etc. But whether he signs there or not is irrelevant, the objective is 'positive perception', rather than having people just talking about the fact that the Blues still have power brokers flying players up to their holiday spots to try and woo them, as an example. Or that they are letting an ex player who brought them no success and who lacks judgement on what a quality list is, dictate too much of what happens next. Or that their president is overwhelmingly influenced by outside opinions... These aren't necessarily bad guys, by the way, but if we're talking about broken processes, the blues are up there for the title.

And Browne's Carlton 'scoops' are very consistent in pattern. How long did he go on about Clarkson to blues for? And why? despite all evidence. Now it's coniglio... It's quite easy to see the pattern of his reporting when you look, and as such, again, it doesn't really bother me.

That being said, in the last 12-24 months he has really become the new AFL propaganda mouth piece, and is on track to be the next damien barrett.

At the end of the day - Carlton are a shambles still, and they need good press. I have empathy for the players, some of the staff etc. But whether he signs there or not is irrelevant, the objective is 'positive perception', rather than having people just talking about the fact that the Blues still have power brokers flying players up to their holiday spots to try and woo them, as an example. Or that they are letting an ex player who brought them no success and who lacks judgement on what a quality list is, dictate too much of what happens next. Or that their president is overwhelmingly influenced by outside opinions... These aren't necessarily bad guys, by the way, but if we're talking about broken processes, the blues are up there for the title.

And Browne's Carlton 'scoops' are very consistent in pattern. How long did he go on about Clarkson to blues for? And why? despite all evidence. Now it's coniglio... It's quite easy to see the pattern of his reporting when you look, and as such, again, it doesn't really bother me.
Correct. He's throwing darts.

The way some of the media go on about ‘there now winning the race’ and blah blah is so ridiculously funny. It’s almost like they think we’re stupid enough to believe that Coniglio / Petroro would be leaking updates on where his mind is at.

If there are any leaks of information from players and their managers then it’s because they want it leaked and almost always that leak is not what they are going to do be doing anyways. Leaks are used to create smokescreens or to manipulate bargaining power.

I will go with gathering information from respected sources here over what Browne says every day of the week but it would be foolish to not believe that he doesn’t have any real information from time to time. The key to when it’s real info or not is the wording he use like ‘winning the race’ and ‘I’m led to believe’. These media guys have a job to do and are under pressure to write something wether there’s facts there or not they still have to earn their pay cheque.

Imagine having pick two and drafting an average player, when pick one was Hakeem the Dream and pick three was MJ. That must have been how the Saints felt looking back at the 2001 draft.
Luke Ball was primed to win the saints a flag in 09. Was everywhere in the first half and then Lyon put him on the bench and get this.... Forgot he was there and he barely played in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back