Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with both of your sentiments... with Worpel coming on way faster than expected the need for Cogs is less important than before.
On the flipside, with Smithy winding down (and/or leaving), Impey being injured and Morrison stagnating a little there is a greater need for a speedy halfback/winger. Whitfield is the best in the league (at least top 3) in this area.

For the hybrid KPP - we do need a little bit more campaigner in the team - particularly in the forward line which is relatively 'tame' from a personality perspective with Bruest, Gunston and Lewis all coming across as 'nice guys'.
Wingard notwithstanding, would love to see someone like a D.Fogarty down there crashing packs. ;)

Not sure Lewis is in the nice guys camp yet. TOB is too nice for a redhead

Not sure Lewis is in the nice guys camp yet. TOB is too nice for a redhead
Agreed. Although stupid, his hit on Robinson was not that of a nice guy IMO. Yeah it cost us a free kick and shot on goal but that wasn't the action of pussy. Robinson is by no means anyone you do that to without knowing you can handle your own. It was dumb in the circumstance but I liked the aggressiveness it showed.

GWS have already said they aren't matching
and you trust Matthews (or the afl) to make that to happen?
matching doesn't necessarily mean they will retain cogs, but it could secure them better compensation through a trade.

You mean the nice guy Mitch Lewis who completely flattened Robbo on the weekend?
Mate that was as big a dive as you will see. Barely touched him
And of course, the umpire had the pee in teh whistle moving at record speed

The messaging this morning has been all about Cogs and us.
I’m hearing more dialogue around Coniglio. Apparently more and more journos are finding out he’s keen on Hawthorn. I think other journos must have checked in with Vlahos to see how true his source is?
I may name my next kid Vlahos should this come off ;)

If we land Cogs, reckon Patton's salary will be the sweetener
... they wont match the Cogs deal, but we'll be picking up the majority Patton's existing contract

That is the only way bringing Patton in makes any sense, that it is essentially a package deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won't match. They won't be in a position to.
I've always thought we'd table an offer in a way that would make it difficult for GWS to match. This talk of Whitfield makes it interesting though. If we traded for him, you'd think they'd then have the room to match any offer we could make and thus force a trade. Though, if we've given up 2 firsts for Whit already, what could we offer for Cogs? Would they bother forcing a trade knowing they already have our 2 firsts? Would they force Cogs to stay even if he has declared he wants to come to us? Do we commit to Cogs first and worry about Whit next year? Is it actually possible to get both?

Trade week can't come soon enough!

I've always thought we'd table an offer in a way that would make it difficult for GWS to match. This talk of Whitfield makes it interesting though. If we traded for him, you'd think they'd then have the room to match any offer we could make and thus force a trade. Though, if we've given up 2 firsts for Whit already, what could we offer for Cogs? Would they bother forcing a trade knowing they already have our 2 firsts? Would they force Cogs to stay even if he has declared he wants to come to us? Do we commit to Cogs first and worry about Whit next year? Is it actually possible to get both?

Don't forget that the free agency period opens before the trade period, so the Cogs deal would be done before any potential trades that open up enough salary to match.

Don't forget that the free agency period opens before the trade period, so the Cogs deal would be done before any potential trades that open up enough salary to match.
That helps. Still makes it interesting if they can't match due to cap constraints but then have that pressure released trading out Whit a week later. Would GWS be happy to trade Whit then? Would could make out like bandits, but we need to be careful not to burn GWS as I think we have a pretty good relationship with them.

The Cogs FA deal would be done BEFORE trade period opens and the Whitfield trade gets worked on

FA opens Wednesday after the GF, trade starts the Monday after. Only have 3 days to match

But I don't think the two are connected

That helps. Still makes it interesting if they can't match due to cap constraints but then have that pressure released trading out Whit a week later. Would GWS be happy to trade Whit then? Would could make out like bandits, but we need to be careful not to burn GWS as I think we have a pretty good relationship with them.
IF they release Whitfield, it won't be for salary cap reasons. It will more be about getting his full value back rather than losing him for under value in 12 months time

I wonder whether they may prefer to have a year of Whitfield while they are contending, rather than the extra pick they would likely secure trough a trade. I suppose they could in theory convert the two first round picks immediately into a ready made replacement player, assuming there is someone talented who wants to go there (most of the talent is heading in the other direction).
IF they release Whitfield, it won't be for salary cap reasons. It will more be about getting his full value back rather than losing him for under value in 12 months time

So just to clarify, if GWS match the terms of any offer Coniglio receives, Nigs options are a: accept the GWS offer or b: if he declines he goes into the draft yeah? He can't vary the GWS offer to 1 year for example and then piss off as a FA in 12 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back