Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media calling for an investigation is different from the AFL actually doing one.

Media/AFL be like...

giphy.gif

Time for a bit of a shift in direction.

Hawthorn have two cursory interests outside of the big fish:

1. Darcy Fogarty
2. Hugh Dixon

That's just what I've heard RE Hugh, he's not setting the world on fire playing for Freo in the WAFL so he would come very cheaply.

1. Darcy Fogarty
2. Hugh Dixon

That's just what I've heard RE Hugh, he's not setting the world on fire playing for Freo in the WAFL so he would come very cheaply.

Why would we target Dixon if we got Patton unless the club think he could become a key back. As with Lewis coming on do we need a 3 tall as a forward line of Gunston,Lewis,Patton,Fogarty is very tall. Not including Nash.

I just want Conigs and Whitfield...i don't see it happening
It's fine to be skeptical, but saying we won't get them because our list is average and no-one would want to come to us like old mate suggested is not so fine.

1. Darcy Fogarty
2. Hugh Dixon

Topiary heres your WA Kp

It's fine to be skeptical, but saying we won't get them because our list is average and no-one would want to come to us like old mate suggested is not so fine.
yeah our list is above average and someone would want to come to us

YWe are unlikely to sign any of these three players (with our salary cap and our middle of the road list).
What horseshit.

We are likely to sign 2 of them.

Certainly a better chance than most other teams.

Stick your 'no-one will come to us, we are shit' routine somewhere else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we target Dixon if we got Patton unless the club think he could become a key back. As with Lewis coming on do we need a 3 tall as a forward line of Gunston,Lewis,Patton,Fogarty is very tall. Not including Nash.
Depth

I'm not saying we'll get Fogarty and Dixon, or even either, but Depth is important.

I see no reason why GWS couldn't take 2 or three of those first rounders from Cogs and Whitfield and do what we do - go hunting for what they need. Surely they're in the ear of some excellent talent to come over.

Could get another Heath Shaw or Shane Mumford in their prime. They're not like the GCS where many dont want to go. They could go after Brad Crouch or Jack Martin with the salary opened up.

Secondly, they have such talent that they're not technically replacing the likes of Cogs and Whitfield with draftees. For every star that leaves is another Taranto or Hopper ready to step up to the elite.

Can't see all the fuss tbh. As long as Cameron hangs around they'll be challenging for years to come.

Who is informed here?

So only optimistic posts need apply? plz have a lie down
Plenty of informed posters here & plenty others with reasoned opinions.

And there's plenty of pessimistic clowns, which are fundamentally different to those that don't think something will occur. And there's you...:shrug:

Plenty of informed posters here & plenty others with reasoned opinions.

And there's plenty of pessimistic clowns, which are fundamentally different to those that don't think something will occur. And there's you...:shrug:

I'll that that as a compliment. Thanks

I see no reason why GWS couldn't take 2 or three of those first rounders from Cogs and Whitfield and do what we do - go hunting for what they need. Surely they're in the ear of some excellent talent to come over.

Could get another Heath Shaw or Shane Mumford in their prime. They're not like the GCS where many dont want to go. They could go after Brad Crouch or Jack Martin with the salary opened up.

Secondly, they have such talent that they're not technically replacing the likes of Cogs and Whitfield with draftees. For every star that leaves is another Taranto or Hopper ready to step up to the elite.

Can't see all the fuss tbh. As long as Cameron hangs around they'll be challenging for years to come.

They could still line up with a midfield of Taranto, Hopper, Kelly, Ward and Greene cycling through. They've got promising youngsters in Hately, Caldwell, Bonar, Perryman all developing. They're fine.

GWS are in a unique situation where their list is so packed full of elite talent that they can afford to release players who want to leave and still have talented players on the fringes who can come in and greatly improve with that extra opportunity.

If they can lean into this they can continue to turn players like Shiel and Whitfield into multiple first round picks. Those multiple first round picks give them better odds of picking up a player who will make it as an A grade talent, or they can be on-traded to pick up that talent from other teams.

If they continually fight to keep everything they have (which is completely their prerogative to do) then they risk gaining a reputation as a club that players might feel "trapped" at, and they also reduce the compensation they could otherwise get. I'm not saying they should just roll over and essentially be a development program for players who will all go elsewhere at their peak. Instead simply just focus on the players who want to stay and use the ones who don't to power their ability to rejuvenate their list with more young talent in a perpetual cycle.

Absolutely bang on!

Think of it as a GWS President. You keep this strategy up, you finish top 4 forever.

All they need is a little luck, and flags will come with that.

Yes, flags are important, but more important is a sustainable, successful organization that people want to be part of. I reckon they’re kicking massive goals in that endeavor, and see no reason why they wouldn’t continue.

Talk of being all-in for a flag is rubbish, and short sighted (2016 anyone?), particularly for GWS who NEED sustained success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back