Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You speak logic, but I know the AFL. They'd get involved here. GWS don't need more draft picks. I think they'd find a way to make sure Lachie stays another year.

Cogs and Patton, yes though. In fact, I think we already have them.
Cog’s ambassador payments have to go to someone ;)

this is how I see it. I think it’s a disastrous look for them for 3 of their best to walk to the same club in the one offseason. They hang on to Whitfield this offseason and fight tooth and nail to keep him.
Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. How would the hawk membership base feel if Mitchell left for GWS and we worked with them for Sicily to go also? No matter the circumstances there would be some pi**ed off supporters. If your in a premiership window you roll the dice and try everything to keep him.

Patton isn't in their best 22 so you might want to rephrase those choice of words.

I think the Giants would much rather go all out to win at least 1 flag than salary cap dump every season, which they could be doing forever at this stage with the amount of talent on there list. They still have no flag if they lose one first rd pick going for a flag next season big deal.

Ps I hear we have 2 players secured, 3 would be a gold mine.
I tend to agree with this. At some point you have to back yourself and go all in to win.

Right on, Sixpence!

I don't protest to know exactly how the AFL operates, but all these claims regarding tactile and shadowy movements from the AFL are kind of paranoia, aren't they?

There's a whole infrastructure in place to ensure compensation to a club which loses a free agent.. similarly, trades go through a process whereby both parties have to agree on a fair deal. I can't understand why the AFL would intervene because a particular club are seemingly (from an external perspective) losing players. For example, GWS would attain end-of-round compensation for Coniglio, possibly 2 first-round draft picks for Whitfield, circa $750k off their books for Patton.. NO ONE is bending them over a barrel and taking it all for free!
Probably paranoid speculation but ... AFL could block it via the GWS board which would need to approve the trade of a player under contract. Assume they are formally or informally represented on this? They might say our AFL vision - as owner of the club - is that GWS try as hard as possible to win now so that our investment in sydney pays off. And If things go to rubbish later we can find a way to bail you out!

There would be uproar & that itself should answer the question.

AFL is all about optics.

Imagine Lordo & the rest of the haters. Nearly as good as a flag.
This is the reaction I want to see if we snag Coniglio / Whitfield

giphy.gif

But 'investigate' what?

How is it improper?

Are we sneaking Whitfield out in Patton's suitcase?

In each scenario, we're paying above market rate or helping GWS out by giving them massive salary cap relief.

Everyone keeps saying "it'll be investigated" or "it'll be looked at carefully" but I'm yet to hear/read grounds that show it to be a breach of any draft/trade tampering rules.

Being 'investigated/looked at' doesn't equal doing something wrong or it being blocked.
Doesn't every trade/ signing get 'looked at'?

I see no reason why GWS couldn't take 2 or three of those first rounders from Cogs and Whitfield and do what we do - go hunting for what they need. Surely they're in the ear of some excellent talent to come over.

Could get another Heath Shaw or Shane Mumford in their prime. They're not like the GCS where many dont want to go. They could go after Brad Crouch or Jack Martin with the salary opened up.

Secondly, they have such talent that they're not technically replacing the likes of Cogs and Whitfield with draftees. For every star that leaves is another Taranto or Hopper ready to step up to the elite.

Can't see all the fuss tbh. As long as Cameron hangs around they'll be challenging for years to come.
Which one? Leon or Jeremy :tearsofjoy:

this is how I see it. I think it’s a disastrous look for them for 3 of their best to walk to the same club in the one offseason. They hang on to Whitfield this offseason and fight tooth and nail to keep him.
Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. How would the hawk membership base feel if Mitchell left for GWS and we worked with them for Sicily to go also? No matter the circumstances there would be some pi**ed off supporters. If your in a premiership window you roll the dice and try everything to keep him.

Didn’t we lose Buddy & Tom Murphy in one hit

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets cut to the chase - he said Cogs is signed sealed and delivered for a 5 year deal. Do you believe him, yes or no?

If you don’t know you’ve proven my point. All I’m saying is not to count our chickens before they hatch.
Him being wrong doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be believed.

The fact presented by him is that he has information to suggest that Cogs is coming to Hawthorn and he strongly believes it will happen.

Most here are saying he doesn’t bullshit and he wouldn’t say it without cogent information

This doesn’t mean he is 100% right or that circumstances won’t change ...

Prior to the Vlahos news, My intel still have Carlton as a slight favorite especially considering their offer is close to $500k more annually. A meeting that took place with Jason McCartney and an ex team mate of his share the same view.

Only recently Coniglio was wanting an answer off Carlton as to their next coach, clearly this is a BIG factor. Carlton 6 weeks away from announcing this helps our cause.

Cogs is genuinely torn/confused. A month ago GWS were a long shot to keep him but they still think he’s a chance to stay now, a much better chance than a month ago.

Plenty of water to go under the Cogs bridge yet.

Look for some big news to come out of Richmond and StK after their respective seasons have finished. Not related.

Is the big news related to Hawthorn..?

Time for a bit of a shift in direction.

Hawthorn have two cursory interests outside of the big fish:

1. Darcy Fogarty
2. Hugh Dixon

That's just what I've heard RE Hugh, he's not setting the world on fire playing for Freo in the WAFL so he would come very cheaply.

Hugh has struggled a bit since moving over to WA, and has had a niggle or two this year. Played in the ruck in the WAFL a couple of weeks ago and had his best game. He was definitely considering his options in getting back closer to home earlier in the year. Not sure now though, seems to have settled and grown up a bit this year. Sounds like Freo have worked really hard in making him feel wanted over there.

Clarko would love his flexibility, can play back, forward or in the ruck. Will dig a bit deeper down here and see what I can find out.

Him being wrong doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be believed.

The fact presented by him is that he has information to suggest that Cogs is coming to Hawthorn and he strongly believes it will happen.

Most here are saying he doesn’t bulls**t and he wouldn’t say it without cogent information

This doesn’t mean he is 100% right or that circumstances won’t change ...
I remember Peter Vlahos from my time in Perth. Down to earth footy caller, fairly low profile, not a headline grabber by any means.
Not prone to hyperbole.
Doesn't mean he's right of course but a rumour from Vlahos, to me, would have far more credibility than many of the other bottom feeders.

I remember Peter Vlahos from my time in Perth. Down to earth footy caller, fairly low profile, not a headline grabber by any means.
Not prone to hyperbole.
Doesn't mean he's right of course but a rumour from Vlahos, to me, would have far more credibility than many of the other bottom feeders.
Every time I hear the name Vlahos I think of Andrew Vlahov that used to play for the Perth Wildcats

Last edited:
c: whitfield | titch | hendo
fol: big boy | jaeger | cogs
i/c: scully, shiels, the worpedo

don’t want to get ahead of myself and jinx anything but oh boy, this is exciting. premiership bound with this midfield?

Should we start a poll to see who we thing our new friend cogs2hawks is? I'll go with that tool bag West Coast poster that commented about Hawthorn on Coniglio thread EVERY chance he had.

Not prone to hyperbole.

Someone that low-profile almost makes you wonder how valid his connections are, too, don't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back