Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about jumping at shadows. Carlton can be as confident as they like, however only Coniglio and a select few likely know what he is thinking.

Also there is every chance that he is still weighing up all of his options. It's a life changing decision, and one he won't take lightly.

On the face of things, if he decides to leave GWS, and if our dollars are similar to market, we would be right in it. Particularly if Patton is in the works also. 2 of his very good friends would play here, we have the best coach in the business, and a proven track record of building premiership teams.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah Browne knows nothing. Click bait artist

My take is that if Coniglio was genuinely still considering staying, he won’t now. They mismanaged this injury and their record with injuries is terrible. Given our record with knees including with his best mate, that has to be a factor. As does Clarkson and his record of improving nearly every player that walks in the door. Coniglio + Clarkson = potentially best player in the game.

West Coast the threat. He may reasonably want to return to his family and they are a great club. He’d be walking into a potential dynasty.

I’d be surprised if he went to Carlton. No coach. No proven record of improving players or of excellence. It would be a call for money. I don’t think he’s that type but who knows.
Well summed up

Carlton also don't have a coach they are a unknown prospect.
Cogs would be worth putting a dint in your salary cap he brings to the table leadership and goal scoring ability from the middle.
I don't like the alternative of using first rd picks for a player, we can't afford to give up two first round picks for any player our key position stocks are limited and from player 23 - 44 on our list is thin.

So hasn't done his ACL but having surgery, might be right for finals?
Surgery will either to be to have a loose piece of meniscus removed or sewn together (micro surgery). Either way his regular season is probably gone and finals without any conditioning will be risky without a training block so I'd say highly doubtful.

Surgery will either to be to have a loose piece of meniscus removed or sewn together (micro surgery). Either way his regular season is probably gone and finals without any conditioning will be risky without a training block so I'd say highly doubtful.

Agreed, sounds like a meniscus tear. 6-8 weeks ish for us non sporty plebs. Fit and with much better access to recovery staff, could be down to 4-6 though. Depends how badly they want him back.

I'd support the club to pay enough that they can afford to keep a core of A grade players (as distinct from throwing all in on a single player).
Say what you like but the Swans lost players because of the Buddy deal.
Carlton's young guns will eventually start putting their hands out and we saw what salary cap pressure did to GWS.
Whilst we are subject to plenty of media criticism as a club, the undeniable fact is that despite multiple Premierships we haven't lost a player we wanted to keep due to salary cap pressure.
That to me is fundamentally good list management.
(Plenty will argue that we've paid overs in draft picks but that's an entirely different debate).
The point here is that we've never paid top dollar
We've never entered into a bidding war.
We have a player payment regime that's served us well and history would suggest when the number goes over that regime, we withdraw.
I'm fairly happy with that conservative approach.
Sure we front end and juggle at times but the basics remain.
Sure we're not always successful in gaining a FA ,but our payment regime has been the foundation of our long term competitiveness.

So on that basis I call figures of 1.4 - 1.6 million madness.

We simply won't be going there and good luck to those who do.
If that means no Cogs - so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd support the club to pay enough that they can afford to keep a core of A grade players (as distinct from throwing all in on a single player).
Carlton's young guns will eventually start putting their hands out and we saw what salary cap pressure did to GWS.
Whilst we are subject to plenty of media criticism as a club, the undeniable fact is that despite multiple Premierships we haven't lost a player we wanted to keep due to salary cap pressure.
(Plenty will argue that we've paid overs in draft picks but that's an entirely different debate).
We have a player payment regime that's served us well and history would suggest when the number goes over that regime, we withdraw.
Sure we're not always successful in gaining a FA ,but our payment regime has been the foundation of our long term competitiveness.

Paying 1 player on your list more than 10% of your total cap is complete madness and a major warning for years to come.

I would predict he will sign somewhere with a club near the 800-900 per year mark when all is said and done.

Easy to say you'd turn your back on 1.4m a year when it's not you having to do it.

If we offered him 4 x 1 mil and Carlton offered him 5-6 x 1.4 he's walking away from over $3million by coming to us.

It's easy to get sold that the Blues are have a good young core again, yeah you can point to Clarko and other things but you aren't in the room getting sold and you're looking at if as a Haws supporter.

It's not so much saying it as a Hawthorn supporter, it seems to be the consensus amongst most good AFL players.

Almost every single big name signing has turned their back on the bigger deal in favour of the better club, particularly in recent memory. Lynch, Martin, De Goey, Kelly, Gaff. The list goes on.

I'd more understand signing for Carlton on the basis of maybe having a better list for the future, but the money really doesn't seem the biggest part of it.

Big money deals seem to do more to sabotage a club than they do to ensure further success. Most players would realise that.

Easy to say you'd turn your back on 1.4m a year when it's not you having to do it.

If we offered him 4 x 1 mil and Carlton offered him 5-6 x 1.4 he's walking away from over $3million by coming to us.

It's easy to get sold that the Blues are have a good young core again, yeah you can point to Clarko and other things but you aren't in the room getting sold and you're looking at if as a Haws supporter.

100%. Balanced post. I think some are being harsh on a bloke who is offered that sort of coin and being sold great things from another club. We all hope he turns it down and comes to us but he isn't a s**t bloke if he takes that.

Almost every single big name signing has turned their back on the bigger deal in favour of the better club, particularly in recent memory. Lynch, Martin, De Goey, Kelly, Gaff. The list goes on.

Didn’t Martin sign on for $10m over 7 years?

Echoing others, if Coniglio would preformeder Carlton to the Hawks we'd have dodged a bullet.

If true we are all to invested mate. It's time to consider why we miss Lynch now Coniglio.

Money wasn't it for Lynch. Money might be partly it for Coniglio, but you cannot deny the young talent, key position too, the Blues have. Post Bolton they have built hope. Still time to undo this but.

Also, if money was the main motivation it wouldn't make sense to dismiss Saints so quickly. List wise, they're in a world of pain.

Potentially, we are no longer a destination that can get blokes for unders. Potting players for not choosing us places the problem in the wrong direction mate.

100% spot on. I'm not calling for a monster offer that's not how sustained success is achieved we know this from the cats,swans,hawks motto.

I would be comfortable with the club paying a lil extra over that, around the 950 k mark if that's what it takes given our current situation. So many retired recent greats and more to come this year. We are not the destination club right now but this could turn us back into that powerhouse again.

If We can get within 300k of a Carlton offer (which is half that after tax), and its not good enough i am happy we gave it our best shot.
i suspect those figures are grossly exaggerated and carlton wont pay over the 1.2 mark.

Didn’t Martin sign on for $10m over 7 years?

We don't know what he signed on for but considering the offers from other clubs, it was a lot less than he could have gotten. I'd think it couldn't be a huge amount considering Richmond's ability to get Lynch over the line too.

Stephen Coniglio is smart and charming -already done a lot of media and has outside business interests. Personally I don't think he is going to have any problem with making money outside of football - think Luke Darcy or Chris Judd. The question is does he want to be at a place that gives him the best shot at success or at a complete coachless rabble of a club.

People bang on about the blues list (like the Duck) but If they pay 2 players 20% of their cap they are going to head for more pain and the rest of that list then becomes open to everyone else.

The fact that the media are falling over themselves to nominate Carlton gives me comfort. We don't leak. Never have. The media have got no read on what we are doing here.

The only thing that will cost us this deal is low-balling. I trust Wright won't do this on this occasion - albeit we won't match the Carlton dollars.

I'm with Absasi - a bloke of this calibre would've made the decision a while ago. I'm confident that's us.

You'd think the first bloke Stephen texted yesterday when he thought it was an ACL was JOM - who was straight down to the rooms post match.

Cmon JOM, bring this home!

Stephen Coniglio is smart and charming -already done a lot of media and has outside business interests. Personally I don't think he is going to have any problem with making money outside of football - think Luke Darcy or Chris Judd. The question is does he want to be at a place that gives him the best shot at success or at a complete coachless rabble of a club.

People bang on about the blues list (like the Duck) but If they pay 2 players 20% of their cap they are going to head for more pain and the rest of that list then becomes open to everyone else.
Walsh, Curnow and McKay need to be paid a pretty packet, handy out huge 1.4+ contracts could be deadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back