Moved Thread Hawthorn - Excuse Now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did Buddy try and dribble the goal from 45 in the wet. Complete moronic act.[/quote]

I'd suggest that Buddy would know more about and be a better shot on goal than you will ever be even in your wildest dreams mate.:thumbsdown:

Heavy ball, legs tired late in the game in slippery conditions. Thats probably why he tried to dribble it through.:cool:

Complete moronic post.:thumbsdown:

When the game was up for grabs-pods, jimmy, hawkins and stevie J grabbed it by the throat, Hawthorn had a panic attack and choked.

Same story with the Hawks....they dont have any quality KP defenders.

Hawkins, Pods, Cloke, J.Kennedy even Waite and Hampson will create havoc against them.

They will still be premiership fav's because Cyril is in their team.

Looks like Clarko heading back to the loser's cave, wonder how long it will take to come out this time??

Agree. They've had huge deficiencies (Key Defender and Ruck) since 2008 and they've done basically nothing to fill the gap. Looks like they'll be found out here again this year it's just a question of whether they're good enough to overcome it or not.

difference was Hawkins. He crashed and banged so many times to give geelong some advantage while Buddy kept waiting for give-me-goal-ball-or-not-interested. Did he tried to impose himself in any pack at all today?

People keep praising Buddy/rioli but seriously both of them look a tad selfish to me. Ofcourse Hawthorn fans will disagree but I will be surprised if they don't feel the same at times.

That's probably one of the worst analyses I've ever seen. Don't agree with calling Buddy selfish but can at least see how that perception may've come about...how anyone can label Cyril as such though is beyond belief. He is constantly being told (from pretty much all quarters) that we need him to be more selfish- he's constantly giving off when he/we'd be better off him retaining possession.

Ordinary post all round.

Agree. They've had huge deficiencies (Key Defender and Ruck) since 2008 and they've done basically nothing to fill the gap. Looks like they'll be found out here again this year it's just a question of whether they're good enough to overcome it or not.

See now that is just nonsense, they've tried a number of things, hell at one time I think they had 6 Ruckmen on their list, 4 of whom were injured.

In hindsight you'd have to wonder if going after Burgoyne instead of chasing a more established CHB/FB was the right idea, but good key defenders dont grow on trees either, and I can't think of many clubs who have a surplus of them.

Gotta agree re trying to dribble goals along the ground in wet, pretty stupid. Doubt they'll do it again.
It's not that stupid. The breeze could have been swirly, so it takes the wind out of the equation. Ball was heavy, so it's harder to get elevation on the run. Ball generally skids straight in the wet if you kick it with enough power, so it's less likely to deviate. It was a tired kick, since it lacked the power, and I don't think he had any forward options to kick to and he was about to be run down from behind. So a non issue imo in terms of decision making. I'd back Franklin's game instincts over 99.999999% of the global population.

This. Selfish, stupid football. Cost em the match IMO.

You sir, are an idiot. Either way, he was going to kick at goal, as the forward fifty was empty. How is it more selfish to dribble it then to snap it? Stupid decision, but not selfish. Sometimes i wonder if people actually understand what certain words actually mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See now that is just nonsense, they've tried a number of things, hell at one time I think they had 6 Ruckmen on their list, 4 of whom were injured.

In hindsight you'd have to wonder if going after Burgoyne instead of chasing a more established CHB/FB was the right idea, but good key defenders dont grow on trees either, and I can't think of many clubs who have a surplus of them.

Getting guys like Pattinson onto the list...just highlight it is a problem.

Bailey is 25 already, was drafted in 2005 and has only played 22 games due to injury...and surprise he is again injured. To think they can bank on him playing week in week out is folly. Hale is a weird pick, can he play as number 1 ruck??

Down back, they need to back in Schoenmakers, he is the future, but he isn't up to it at the moment. Can Roughy play CHB???

They are always rated highly because of Buddy and Cyril, but in reality the same problems that saw them come up short in 2011 remain the same....and you Carlton and West Coast are two teams who will also exploit the Hawks weakness.

Whats wrong with dribbling the ball? It was a wet and windy day so dribbling it wasn't a bad option.
Take the wind out of play and the ball always skids straight when it's wet.

Geelong were enormous after half time, contolled the football, should have won by more. Hawks were clearly favoured by the umpires, the free kicks to Buddy would have made a Selwood blush they were so soft. Great game again.

You sir, are an idiot. Either way, he was going to kick at goal, as the forward fifty was empty. How is it more selfish to dribble it then to snap it? Stupid decision, but not selfish. Sometimes i wonder if people actually understand what certain words actually mean.

Ma'am actually ;)

Selfish as in he wanted the speccy, along the ground, Bruce jizzing himself GOTY crap.

I was at the game so I haven't seen the TV replay yet... I may yet stand corrected but that's how I saw it at the time.

They've tried some things but not that much. Recently they've got Burgoyne, Gibson and Gunston. Gibson works hard for an undersized key position player but he still gets found out by big bodies. The others were just never going to be good replacements.

Since 07 Geelong lost our best ruckman and CHB (both all australians), our first promising young ruckman became a dud (mainly because the game moved past him rather than anything he did) and our next upcoming young ruckman got poached. We've also moved one of the best full-backs ever out of a key position spot.

Since 07 Geelong's been able to find and develop Lonergan, Taylor and Mumford all of whom are very good AFL players. Add to that we've got West who's performed very well in a finals series and Vardy who's shown a lot of promise. This is despite these positions being far less of a weakness than at Hawthorn. Are Geelong that much better at spotting and developing talent or have the Hawks just not put enough time and effort into a clear deficiency. Honestly it reminds me a bit of Grant Thomas and his ruckmen at St Kilda.

Getting guys like Pattinson onto the list...just highlight it is a problem.

Bailey is 25 already, was drafted in 2005 and has only played 22 games due to injury...and surprise he is again injured. To think they can bank on him playing week in week out is folly. Hale is a weird pick, can he play as number 1 ruck??

Down back, they need to back in Schoenmakers, he is the future, but he isn't up to it at the moment. Can Roughy play CHB???

They are always rated highly because of Buddy and Cyril, but in reality the same problems that saw them come up short in 2011 remain the same....and you Carlton and West Coast are two teams who will also exploit the Hawks weakness.
You will find most Hawthorn supporters would like to see this but for some reason the coaching staff won't try it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back