News Hawthorn in the media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don’t bring Barrett’s sliding doors rubbish here. That’s not the Hawthorn footy club in the media.

That’s a desperate article, trying to get clicks every week.

Purple is a moron

"Big call: Hawks to lose multiple national draft picks as part of fallout to racism investigation."

Callum Twomey

Wooden spoon: West Coast

9. Sydney
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. Greater Western Sydney
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. St Kilda
16. North Melbourne
17. West Coast
18. Hawthorn

Does anyone actually look at this shit?

Purple is a moron

"Big call: Hawks to lose multiple national draft picks as part of fallout to racism investigation."

He's really pushing this agenda for some reason, and he appears to be the only one.

Is he trying to make his own headlines or is part of due to wanting someone else to suffer like his own club North Melbourne?

Purple does it all the time, aggressively campaigns against us.

In the O’Meara trade period when Suns were being two faced and asking us to get an amount and then going back on their word, Barrett was painting us as the bad guys and was saying we had to thrown in Breust ON TOP of pick 10. I remember Wallace laughing next time him when he suggested that. Trade goes through with picks, without Breust, and then a year so later he writes with no hint of shame, that it was one of the worst trades of all time.

When Hill was available for trade he was absolutely adamant he wasnt worth a 1st rounder, and brought up “issues” that havent been raised since. Almost every other club set a price first, but it seems when Hawthorn have a player available Barrett and Co get out and try to set the market place. As soon as Mitchell was available “he has no trade value”, after he gets to Collingwood suddenly the “he could be a perfect fit…” articles magically pop up.

Barrett has been doing it for years with other examples as well. He went immediately at the Hawthorn tanking narrative after the recent trade period aggressively, which is a pretty aggressive claim, given his side is about to win a third spoon most likey in a row after cutting players.

Fagan and Clarkson are at other clubs, yet the negative seems to be solely on Hawthorn who volunteered to go through the process. No talk about the leaking, or needing to hear more information etc. Purple and co act like petulant children when covering any moral issues with any depth, while acting as if they are taking an ethical position themselves.

Really hope we get to shove it up a few of these experts in a few months.

You tipped us for 17th in the predictions thread mate.

I don't get why people are jumping up and down, someone's going to finish bottom and we're in that mix. Clearly.

Who really cares, I'm sure we're not viewing 2023 in win-loss.

You tipped us for 17th in the predictions thread mate.

I don't get why people are jumping up and down, someone's going to finish bottom and we're in that mix. Clearly.

Who really cares, I'm sure we're not viewing 2023 in win-loss.
I also said I think we’ll finish higher, but I don’t post a prediction with us higher because of some of the clowns here who will take turns in making claims as to why we will finish last.

He's really pushing this agenda for some reason, and he appears to be the only one.

Is he trying to make his own headlines or is part of due to wanting someone else to suffer like his own club North Melbourne?

Those 76 & 78 GFs really hurt poor little Damo.

I don't mind the media "experts" tipping us to finish anywhere, even 18th. But I do have a problem with their reasoning for it.

If it's just because we lost Gunston, Mitchell, O'Meara, then that's not good enough. The same "experts" were writing all year how ineffective these players were (except Gunston), but now all of a sudden we're going to go from 13th to 18th? Give me another reason.

And have the 5 sides that finished below us much improved from last year?

This is what annoys me most.

Gunston is still a great player, but Mitchell and O'Meara were derided for the last two seasons. Now that they've gone, we're a basket case?
The general public are typically a year behind what goes on at a club. They just see the exit of known players (Gunston, O'Meara, Mitchell, McEvoy, Shiels, Howe) and are ignorant of the inclusion of traded-in and drafted players because they aren't familiar with seeing them.

The general public are typically a year behind what goes on at a club. They just see the exit of known players (Gunston, O'Meara, Mitchell, McEvoy, Shiels, Howe) and are ignorant of the inclusion of traded-in and drafted players because they aren't familiar with seeing them.
General public sure.

Not sure the media experts have that excuse

I like when experts have views and thoughts based on analysis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So there is basically no external pressure on the team bar an encouragement to try to prove them wrong? And if we do come last, said “experts” are too busy told-you-so-ing and patting themselves on the back to care about sticking the boots in, while we goat strut into the draft with pick one?

I don't mind the media "experts" tipping us to finish anywhere, even 18th. But I do have a problem with their reasoning for it.

If it's just because we lost Gunston, Mitchell, O'Meara, then that's not good enough. The same "experts" were writing all year how ineffective these players were (except Gunston), but now all of a sudden we're going to go from 13th to 18th? Give me another reason.

And have the 5 sides that finished below us much improved from last year?

Progress when rebuilding is only very rarely linear mate. It's widely viewed year two is harder, opposition coaches will have a better idea of how we want to play under Sam now too.

We're missing our only genuine key forward for the first five rounds atleast it seems. Obviously with Gunston that's a huge loss.

The club has also at every turn tried to tell us to expect we will be playing better later in the season, and it might be a bumpy start as we focus on youth.

We might be the only club rebuilding with the balls to play for the future as priority, rather than one or two more wins. Something you know North, Bombers, Giants, Crows and Saints aren't thinking.

It will be a long year getting bothered by the media already.

I don't think we will finish bottom, but I can see why some would and don't really think it's that wild a prediction. Nothing to be offended by.

Last edited:
Progress when rebuilding is only very rarely linear mate. It's widely viewed year two is harder, opposition coaches will have a better idea of how we want to play under Sam now too.

We're missing our only genuine key forward for the first five rounds atleast it seems. Obviously with Gunston that's a huge loss.

The club has also at every turn tried to tell us to expect we will be playing better later in the season, and it might be a bumpy start as we focus on youth.

It will be a long year getting bothered by the media already.

I don't think we will finish bottom, but I can see why some would and don't really think it's that wild a prediction. Nothing to be offended by.
Too late...i'm offended.

I'm off to saddle up my high horse.

I’ve always held the belief that consequences should be brought in for media experts who fail to get their illogical predictions accurate.

Hawthorn are going to finish wooden spooners, you say?

Hawthorn finish 10th on the ladder

Cough up that left testicle Kane, you nonsy flog.
Send 'em off to HR for "performance management"

Well today saw the passing of Dick Fosbury, an innovator who was scoffed at like Sam Mitchell’s rebuild strategy has been in the media. But his iconic Fosbury Flop won gold in Mexico City and revolutionised the sport.

I’m confident that Sam’s strategy will eventually be viewed as setting new standards in the sport of Aussie Rules, maybe not this year but soon enough.

This will lead to ‘Mitchell mania’ where pundits fall all over themselves to anoint Sam while conveniently forgetting their previous scepticism. Why Mitchell mania? Well because, as the great Fosbury said of the Fosbury flop’, ‘it’s poetic. It’s alliterative. It’s a conflict (with the media).’

I don’t think it’s that unreasonable for a lot in the media to tip us for 18th. I think there are more likely sides myself but we will probably be bottom 4.

I'm not so doom and gloom about finishing at the bottom as I don't think we will.
Someone recently alluded to the fact that we are year 2 into Sam's tenure so Oppo coaches will be able to plan against us etc but to me, the flip side is Sam knows more about the team, has made changes to our deficiencies, our players are a year older and developed etc and we won't be going backwards against most of the teams below is, despite losing Tom and JOM (BB and Gunners only played minimally last year and Sheila was surplus to Sam's plans anyway).
The Saints, * and Roos will take time to follow the new game plan and have injury issues already, WCE are already running backwards up hill too. I can't see us lower than 13th again to be honest. Our % last year was pretty good relative to others around us too and I know it's a new year but shows we can compete.

For a boy from Melton Sicily is actually quite an articulate dude 😎

I guess it's not surprising that he is an intelligent speaker as the way he reads the play, positions his body, etc shows an elite level of footy IQ.

I don't want to rehash old wounds but can anyone imagine what Stratton's response to the same question would have been ???

We have made some "interesting" choices for captain since Hodgey left (Big Boy aside) but Sicily as captain just feels right on the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back