News Hawthorn in the media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don’t bring Barrett’s sliding doors rubbish here. That’s not the Hawthorn footy club in the media.

That’s a desperate article, trying to get clicks every week.

Mate. If you didn't have us as a massive spoon chance before this... you should now.
Remember when we got smashed by Geelong, then came out and went toe to toe with Collingwood? Things change from week to week. We won't play like that every week. Brisbane won't play like they did every week.

Remember when we got smashed by Geelong, then came out and went toe to toe with Collingwood? Things change from week to week. We won't play like that every week. Brisbane won't play like they did every week.

Pre-season games mean little mate.

I'm not saying we definitely will finish last, but it was laughable so many struggled to grasp why the media largely tipped us for the spoon.

It wasn't any agenda. We're absolutely in that mix, and after a thumping from a likely bottom 6 or 7 team like today, we're probably most likely.

Pre-season games mean little mate.

I'm not saying we definitely will finish last, but it was laughable so many struggled to grasp why the media largely tipped us for the spoon.

It wasn't any agenda. We're absolutely in that mix, and after a thumping from a likely bottom 6 or 7 team like today, we're probably most likely.
As far as my point goes, it means a lot. Collingwood were still trying, we got close because we put the effort in. Today, we did not and got hammered for it. There will be other weeks where we do and we will eek out wins. Like we did last year with Geelong and Brisbane.

We also got belted by Essendon last year and still finished above them. Still a lot to play out before you can definitely say we're in the mix for the spoon.

As far as my point goes, it means a lot. Collingwood were still trying, we got close because we put the effort in. Today, we did not and got hammered for it. There will be other weeks where we do and we will eek out wins. Like we did last year with Geelong and Brisbane.

We also got belted by Essendon last year and still finished above them. Still a lot to play out before you can definitely say we're in the mix for the spoon.

Bombers beat us by 27 last year.

I find it really bizarre anyone could think we're not in the mix to finish last mate. I don't even really think it matters given our long term vision, might even help.

Last edited:
Bombers beat us by 27 last year.

I find it really bizarre anyone could think we're not in the mix to finish last mate. I don't even really think it matters given our long term vision, might even help.

We are clear favourites to finish last, this game has confirmed that and there's just no getting around it. You'd be denying reality at this point.

The media have just been making the obvious call, as is their prerogative, and all we've done today is reaffirm their opinions.

I hope it doesn't pan out the way, though as you say it may help in the end.

We are clear favourites to finish last, this game has confirmed that and there's just no getting around it. You'd be denying reality at this point.

The media have just been making the obvious call, as is their prerogative, and all we've done today is reaffirm their opinions.

I hope it doesn't pan out the way, though as you say it may help in the end.
Mate u r making all sorts of judgements after one game. At least wait a few weeks give them a chance to redeem themselves. The AFL season has just started

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate u r making all sorts of judgements after one game. At least wait a few weeks give them a chance to redeem themselves. The AFL season has just started

We were a spoon contender according to the wider footballing community at the start of this season, and this game will have only reinforced that opinion for them.

It’s not based on one game though, it’s based on the last few seasons and the list we have. People were lampooning many in the media for predicting a wooden spoon when that was a pretty reasonable pre-season prediction based on the list. Yesterday against what most would predict to be a bottom 6 side did nothing to suggest otherwise.

We will be near the bottom. Whether it’s dead last or not remains to be seen. West Coast looked terrible

We were a spoon contender according to the wider footballing community at the start of this season, and this game will have only reinforced that opinion for them.

It’s not based on one game though, it’s based on the last few seasons and the list we have. People were lampooning many in the media for predicting a wooden spoon when that was a pretty reasonable pre-season prediction based on the list. Yesterday against what most would predict to be a bottom 6 side did nothing to suggest otherwise.

We will be near the bottom. Whether it’s dead last or not remains to be seen. West Coast looked terrible
The media jump on and jump off contenders week to week thays their job to sell clicks and papers. Robinson is probably passed out somewhere after his celebration of a round 1 win for his beloved bombers. Supporters should try to be just a little more patient

The media jump on and jump off contenders week to week thays their job to sell clicks and papers. Robinson is probably passed out somewhere after his celebration of a round 1 win for his beloved bombers. Supporters should try to be just a little more patient

I'm personally prepared for a season of losses. I believed we were a bottom four side coming into this season. I just want to see the young kids play and watch the game plan be implemented.

Though that performance absolutely garbage. We had the entirety of the off season to prepare for this game, a game against another bottom four contender. All the pre-season noise means nothing now.

Anyway my point is that it was a display that will only have validated the overriding media and footballing community's opinion that we are going to be spooners.

I don’t think there is any impatience. It’s a thread about Hawthorn in the media and a discussion about whether many in the media acted reasonably in predicting a Hawthorn wooden spoon in 2023.

I don’t think there is any impatience. It’s a thread about Hawthorn in the media and a discussion about whether many in the media acted reasonably in predicting a Hawthorn wooden spoon in 2023.
And i'm saying this is not a fait accompli just yet

I'm personally prepared for a season of losses. I believed we were a bottom four side coming into this season. I just want to see the young kids play and watch the game plan be implemented.

Though that performance absolutely garbage. We had the entirety of the off season to prepare for this game, a game against another bottom four contender. All the pre-season noise means nothing now.

Anyway my point is that it was a display that will only have validated the overriding media and footballing community's opinion that we are going to be spooners.
I believe that too just because of our list profile but I don't think we are as bad as we showed yesterday. We had similar performances last year. We review that game learn from it and move on to this week

Though that performance

garbage. We had the entirety of the off season to prepare for this game, a game against another bottom four contender. All the pre-season noise means nothing now.

I am the same & there will be countless more shizen performances but most of the media are bottom feeders. ignore the noise & stay the course

a big positive was 70k at the G. what will lift the boys is US going week in week out.

keep filling the stands guys

I am the same & there will be countless more shizen performances but most of the media are bottom feeders. ignore the noise & stay the course

a big positive was 70k at the G. what will lift the boys is US going week in week out.

keep filling the stands guys

70k was great, though it was round one against the Enemy, with all the promise pre-season brought with it.

They'd really want to put in a much better effort than that if they want fans to continue to turn up this season. I expect our next home game against a non "big four" club will have a poor turnout, similar to last season.

70k was great, though it was round one against the Enemy, with all the promise pre-season brought with it.

They'd really want to put in a much better effort than that if they want fans to continue to turn up this season. I expect our next home game against a non "big four" club will have a poor turnout, similar to last season.

yep it's on the players too... Sic mentioned it a few times (they let the fans down)

I don't think any of our supporters were realistically believing we would be anything less than than the bottom 6 if all went well, but the majority of us predicted we would be in the bottom 2 or 3. The media narrative all the way through had us finishing last and that is a real toss up between North, WC and Haw in all likelihood. What was so disappointing about yesterday was that we saw for a short glimpse, that we have some ability to be a lot better than the way it played out after half time. And the Collingwood pre season game provided some hope. And we will see that at stages again during the season. Sure we aren't world beaters and we almost expect to be belted a few times during the year, but the dysfunctional defensive elements were a worry yesterday and that has to be the major area of review.

yep it's on the players too... Sic mentioned it a few times (they let the fans down)
I reckon the board would be pretty filthy at the players and coaches at that performance, will cost the club a fair bit in future gate revenue.

What will really annoy me will be if we put in a good performance versus Sydney this weekend. It’s like once the pressure is off we play better which is a terrible trait to have TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back